Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Can you imagine Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta with no fans?
It's not going to be MBS in Atlanta. There's no reason to do it there. They're losing $175 million from ticket sales, they're going to go with a building that has fewer lights to turn on.

Someone on ESPN was like "I hope they take the opportunity to play the Final Four at a place the KC's Municipal Auditorium (which had hosted the most NCAA games in history until UD Arena passed it), or the Palestra.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Utah & OKC NBA game was PPD at the last possible second tonight. Apparently, Rudy Goubert has been sick (joked two days ago about it being coronavirus and then tapped everyone's microphones at a press conference), and the word is he actually does have it.

They said the team doctor went SPRINTING out of the tunnel to the court and got the officials just before they were going to tip-off. So it sounds like Goubert has corona and the NBA has been compromised.

Also, there was a fan at the BYU-Gonzaga regular season game in Provo who had it, so look for a Utah outbreak soon.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
And while I was writing that, the NBA suspended the season. Shut down indefinitely.

·
Piker
9,031 Posts
And while I was writing that, the NBA suspended the season. Shut down indefinitely.
This is quickly moving toward a suspension of athletic events with or without fans.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I said a bunch of things last night at like, 3am, on this site and another one, about what I thought was going to happen over the NEXT WEEK

... and it's almost all happened within the last 18 hours.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
So in the past 18 hours we've de facto banned public gatherings of "many" people. Where is the edict to places like epcot, Disney, universal, etc to shut down? If it's all truly public interest, then go full bore.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah, I'd also say a groundstop of all flights for three weeks would be a smart idea.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
My feeling is if it's this big a deal then go all out. Fuck Disney I guess it's all about $$. The euro travel ban was smart. Not saying I agree with all of this, but if it is this serious that was a good move.

·
Registered
7,521 Posts
My feeling is if it's this big a deal then go all out. Fuck Disney I guess it's all about $$. The euro travel ban was smart. Not saying I agree with all of this, but if it is this serious that was a good move.
Except that it doesn't include the UK and it comes several weeks too late, yes.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The thing is you have to go all out in a controlled, logical manner. You can't just say "Shut it down" because most people don't have three weeks of food in their house. You've got to shut down travel and large gatherings; encourage people to prepare... keep goods moving around the country so people can have enough supplies to bunker down for three weeks... and THEN you can shut down everything but essentials.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, we tracked the hypothetical NCAA Title Belt, now we can track the NCAA coronavirus. If Hoiberg has corona, then Minnesota probably has it from their visit on Sunday; and Indiana and the scorer's table crew are going to get it next.

There might not be an NCAA Tournament this year.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
The thing is you have to go all out in a controlled, logical manner. You can't just say "Shut it down" because most people don't have three weeks of food in their house. You've got to shut down travel and large gatherings; encourage people to prepare... keep goods moving around the country so people can have enough supplies to bunker down for three weeks... and THEN you can shut down everything but essentials.
Shutting down disney isn't killing anything essential.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
My daughter is at Disney World as we speak. My firm of 30,000+ people in the US has limited all non-essential travel, and cancelled all meetings/gatherings of more than 50 people. In fact, I have been advised not to attend meetings/gatherings of more than 50 people. The managing partner of our NY office has self-quarantined after attending a board meeting in which an infected person was also in attendance. The school district for which I serve on the Board of Education today closed for the next two days as a middle school teacher was recently advised to self-quarantine. On Monday all overnight trips and out-of-district field trips were cancelled for March and April. Unfortunately, that impacts my HS senior son and his varsity baseball team Spring training trip to Florida, which I was also participating in. I just got home from a 4 hour Board meeting discussing next steps on that and other matters. It will get worse before it gets better. Fasten your seat belts.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It's really gotta suck to be the two guys from the Nebraska football team that joined the basketball team a couple days ago.

Join the basketball team, it'll be fun. Play Indiana in the Big Ten Tournament. You'll get some free basketball gear... and coronavirus. Enjoy your quarantine!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts