Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was replying to a thread that the moderator chose to delete....

So new topic:

You all have to understand. Last year when the Mavs started out the season as the hottest team in the league all we heard about was how we didn't beat the top teams.

This year it is reversed with the Spurs, but when a Mavs fan tries to point this out, then we are haters.

Let's face it. This is a new season and the Spurs are last years Champs. Time to grab some objectivity and look at who has played who. The Spurs are looking not so hot against the top teams. The Mavs are looking very very good against the top teams.

As for posting on the Spurs loss, well, as a Mavs fan we are chasing down the leaders in the West (who have had very weak schedules) and when we pass one up, you can expect a post about it.

Now get ready for a post in the next couple of weeks when the Mavs pass up the Kings (who have had the weakest schedule in the NBA to this point) . The schedule will hopefully even out and when it is all said and done who will be the hottest teams going into the playoffs???

That's what we are discussing here.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Minnestota... no doubg about it.. playing amazing basketball and they dont look like they are slowing down any time soon... KG is finally gonna take his team to the promise land and hopfully land him his MVP which he gotshafted on last year.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
With Shaq and Kobe comming back, and possibly Malone down the road, a full strength Laker squad will be the hottest team going into the playoffs. If Indy holds on the the best record as well I think they should be considered.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotta agree with you on this one. Minny has the SOS and the record to be the most feared team in the league right now. However, they seem to be flying under the radar. Why is that? Next to a healthy Laker team, as a Mavs fan, I fear the new TWolves more than any other team.

All they ever needed was someone to play with KG and that team has dynasty written all over it. Now they have two someones and some great role players to go with him.

BTW. Sam Cassell is also not gettting the respect he deserves as second best PG in the West (right behind Steve Nash :) )

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Lakers have won 3 of the last 5 titles. Spurs have won 2 of the last 5 titles. Since the main pieces are still in place, they are still the favorites. They've been there, and they know what it takes.

People say Spurs arent as good this year, but I think they are better. They've just been streaky, but at their best I think they are still one of the best if not the best. I've seen this thing happen to a lot of defending champions, they get complacent but can turn it on when need be.

Lakers have a ton of talent. The injures really set them back from becoming more comfortable with each other, especially on the defensive end. All in all, they'll be ready for the playoffs.

The Twolves have impressed me a lot, they are playing the best basketball in the league right now. If I had to choose a team other than the Spurs or Lakers to win the title, it would be them.

I was really impressed with the Kings, but Dallas really exposed them. Now I'd put these two teams on the same level.

Come playoff time, I think this is who will take it
1. Spurs (defense wins championships)
2. Lakers (if 100%)
3. Twolves (KG is on a mission)
4/5. Kings/Mavs (great teams, cant see them beating the top 3 in 7 games)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John the Cool Kid

Agree with your other rankings, but why do you put the Spurs at #1, when clearly they are having trouble this year beating the top teams in the NBA.

I just don't get it.

This is a new season. I know TD is the best player in the league. No argument from me on that. But as a team, they just are not that hot and have had the 22nd worst schedule in the league. Compare that to Minny at 12th and Dallas at 7th.

No my friend, this is a new year and I wont by into last years hype until I see it on the bball floor. You'll have to gimme something better, backed up with facts. Not your opinion. Im sure your very knowledgable, but I'm more prone to go with facts.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Minnesota - getting back Wally and Kandi.

LA - getting back Shaq and Malone they should be looking like a juggernaut heading into playoffs.

Sacramento - have been playing great ball but Cwebb adds another dimension.

Dallas - hope Nash can stay fresh. will a deadline trade be pulled off and how will it affect the team?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The Lakers... Shaq said that he would want to win another championship, although he really means he needs to. Shaq doesn't lie, he's a man of truth.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MavsPoke</b>!
John the Cool Kid

Agree with your other rankings, but why do you put the Spurs at #1, when clearly they are having trouble this year beating the top teams in the NBA.

I just don't get it.

This is a new season. I know TD is the best player in the league. No argument from me on that. But as a team, they just are not that hot and have had the 22nd worst schedule in the league. Compare that to Minny at 12th and Dallas at 7th.

No my friend, this is a new year and I wont by into last years hype until I see it on the bball floor. You'll have to gimme something better, backed up with facts. Not your opinion. Im sure your very knowledgable, but I'm more prone to go with facts.
Go with facts, I'm not asking you to change your opinion. I think when the Spurs are playing their best, they are better than any other team playing their best. Thats from what I've seen on the court from each team. Head to head regular season matchups dont mean much to me. Especially when 5 of the 6 losses people use against the Spurs were in the first month of the season.

I dont know, something tells me the wins in the last month of the season/playoffs are more important than the wins in the first month. I guess teams got something to prove though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
dont laugh but i think the bucks will be one of the hottest teams along with the hornets (monster mash will be back soon, wath out)

·
Registered
240 Posts
If the Lakers are 100% healthy, it's hard to go against them. Before 3 of the big 4 went down, they were tearing up the league without a problem. But who knows, for all we know Minnesota and Dallas may not just be on hot streaks. They could've gelled and this is truly how good they are now. Plus no one is sure how good Sacramento could be if Chris Webber returns.

I'd rank it:

1. Los Angeles
2. Minnesota
3. Dallas
4. Sacramento/San Antonio

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!

Go with facts, I'm not asking you to change your opinion. I think when the Spurs are playing their best, they are better than any other team playing their best. Thats from what I've seen on the court from each team. Head to head regular season matchups dont mean much to me. Especially when 5 of the 6 losses people use against the Spurs were in the first month of the season.

I dont know, something tells me the wins in the last month of the season/playoffs are more important than the wins in the first month. I guess teams got something to prove though.

Clipper Avatar? What happened John, you move west coast?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone gonna give any love to the Pacers? I think they are an eastern team that can compete with the West this year. They beat my Mavs soundly at the AAC this year.

Look for the Finals to be competitive with the Pacers this year.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Pacers need to get out of the East to have a chance and IMO they will have a really hard time come playoff time. They don't seem to do that well. Then again their real problem is history and ruining New York so maybe they will. :)

Out of the West I still say the Lakers. If they are healthy I don't see them being beaten.
I would put
Lakers, Sacremento, Dallas, Spurs, Timberwolves (I don't see them keeping this up forever) then Pacers, Nets (come playoff time they are a different story. Regardless of how they do in the regular season) and the Bucks (They impress me and scare me)
Detroit is one good scorer away (IMO)

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Nice thread so far. Anyway, here are my feelings on who will be hitting their full stride come April/May.

Once the Lakers' Fab 4 are back on the floor they will pretty much go on the tear they proved they could go on in November and December. Shaq, Kobe and Phil have been too much for the league 3 of the last 4 seasons. Even last year's pathetic supporting cast was basically an Horry 3-pointer away from going to the WCF and beating the Mavs for the title. Add Gary Payton, Karl Malone, and solid bench backups of Slava, Russell, and Fox (all great shooters) and you have the makings of a seriously unbeatable team. We saw just how badly the Spurs, Pacers, and Mavs were beaten up by Lakers earlier in the season, and that was with Gary and Karl knowing basically zero about the triangle. Come April, Gary and Karl should know a great deal of tri plays and be solid enough defensively to take their first titles.

Clearly the Spurs aren't the favorites this year and probably won't repeat. That much was predictable in the offseason when the Spurs were only able to sign Rasho at the 5 spot and add OK bench players after that. Overall, it's clear the Spurs just aren't as good as they were last season, and it's unlikely the West will go through the injuries that propelled the Spurs to the title last season this season, so I see very little chance of the Spur repeating.

The Kings are a great offensive team and once Webber gets back their interior defense will improve. However, I'm not convinced their defense will improve all that significantly enough, and I'm also not convinced they have a go-to guy in the clutch yet. Webber was as clutch as I've ever seen his last season, but I'm not convinced that will translate to the playoffs. Even if it does, the Kings would have to play perfectly to really give the Lakers a go this season.

The Mavs have no chance at a title as far as I'm concerned. They match up more poorly with the Lakers than any other contender. Their frontcourt defense is nonexistent, and that means you'll be seeing Shaq and Karl dominating down low. If the Mavs had a good frontcourt I'd be absolutely scared of them, but as it stands their frontcourt doesn't exist. I look for the Mavs to be very serious contenders next season though. I'm sure Cuban will be able to pull off a few trades to develop their frontcourt.

IMO the Twolves have the best chance at beating the Lakers this season. They have a great inside-out offense, a clutch shooter in Cassell, and a good zone defensive scheme with KG at the top. They're very scary this season and I see them taking the Lakers to 6 or 7 games in the WCF, or whatever round they meet in.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
true the lakers had really dominating wins against some of the top teams in the league prior to the injuries, but they also had some very unimpressive ones that could have easily been losses. i'd take minnesota in terms of consistency and overall chemistry over los angeles in the west. however, in terms of who i feel will come into the playoffs with the most confidence will probably be the hornets. expect mashburn to suit up as soon as this week, and they may get the chance to give their rookie david west some more minutes once he gets back from his injury, which would give a fourth legitamite big man in their frontcourt. add that to the fairly potent backcourt of davis and wesley, and the fact that typically the hornets really get going in the last month or so of the season could almost give them a shoe-in for a top 4 seed and possibilites to be first or second

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Mavs have no chance at a title as far as I'm concerned. They match up more poorly with the Lakers than any other contender. Their frontcourt defense is nonexistent, and that means you'll be seeing Shaq and Karl dominating down low. If the Mavs had a good frontcourt I'd be absolutely scared of them, but as it stands their frontcourt doesn't exist.
See this kind of talk adds nothing to the disscusion at hand. When you make absolute statements in the end you will look like you were absolutely wrong.

I agree that the Mavs don't match up as well in the frontcourt with the Lakers as the Spurs, Wolves and Kings. However, to say the Mavs have no chance is just blowing hot air.

I seem to remember the Mavs beating a fully loaded, healthy Laker squad on thier floor right in front of Jack and all the other Hollywood Gliteratti.

Bottom line is when anyone says one of top 5 or 6 teams have "NO" chance for a title you can just quit reading thier post, because they are not looking at all the possibilities and keeping thier mind open. Closed mind = little insight.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
EHL is right. The Mavs have no chance. What is so hard to understand about that. They don't play defense and the rely on outside shooting. You do not win championships that way. Why don't you go back and take a look at the champs for the past 20 years. Very few of them if any relied on spotty defense and outside shooting.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Didn't the Mavs choke b4 play-offs last year? I doubt that they will be one of the hottest teams come play-offs. I can honestly see them loosing 3 straight before play-offs. I think the T-Wolves will be the hottest team.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts