Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The question is, if the Rockets were to face the Kings or Twolves or another contender in the 1st round, would they make a series out of it? If the playoffs started today, they would face the Mavericks in the 1st round. Imagine Dallas trying to deal with Yao, they dont have anyone who can remotely match up. Yao could punish them the whole series.

I think Yaos play as of late makes them a very dangerous team, added to the fact they are very good defensively. They have Kelvin Cato who is a perfect match for Yao and they have a lot of solid players on their squad. The key is Yao though, he is fighting for position now and getting it most of the time. He is really unstoppable once he gets the ball. His aggressiveness lately has impressed.

So its not a pretender/contender on whether they'll make the playoffs but whether they could pull of an upset in a series with one of the five western powerhouses?

Pretender or Contender?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
they have been playin great defense with Van Gundy orchestrating it
2 big guys inside and
Jim Jackson playin great on the perimeter

but their offense is not top notch
francis is not having a good season
they also have NOO bench
their 6th man is Mo Taylor
their 7th man is PIak
their 8th man is Nachbar???

unless Yao can play at a 20 - 10 level constantly i dont see them making it out of the playoffs

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fjkdsi</b>!
2 big guys inside and

they also have NOO bench
their 7th man is PIak

unless Yao can play at a 20 - 10 level constantly i dont see them making it out of the playoffs
Yes, we know their offense is not top notch, that's why Houston is known as a defensive team.

No bench? How about the reliable Mark Jackson off the bench?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
mark jackson is 89 years old
he is as reliable to run your half court offense
as he is reliable to let the opposing team's PG score on him

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fjkdsi</b>!
2 big guys inside and

they also have NOO bench
their 7th man is PIak

Mo Taylor is 6th man of the year after Bobby Jackson. Mark Jackson is a great leader, Nachbar is a great defensive presence. But the big 5 in the West are great teams down the stretch and all have people they can go to. This is something the Rockets lack and it will allow opponents to pull away in close games as Sacramento did tonight.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Pretenders. They are not going to beat any of the top five teams this year.

Yao is still timid at times. You can't count on him to give you 20/10 every night, especially when he's double-teamed.

But the Rockets' real problem is their personnel. Their players just don't mesh well. Someone like Francis and someone like Ming can never play together effectively. Eventually they'll have to trade Stevie Franchise for a true point guard who can knock down an open shot.

And although Van Gundy can teach defense, he's never been a good offensive coach. I watched their game against the Kings tonight and it was so obvious that they had no clue how to run an effective offense. They dominated on the board, shut down kings' penetration for most of the game, yet still lost because they couldn't take care of the ball.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Contender.
It's all about Yao though. If Yao is asserting himself, there's no one who can really stop him. Except Shaq.

I really hope we see Houston-LA at some point in the playoffs. There's nothing like two giants battling it out in a 7 game series. And Shaq actually cares in the playoffs.

As far as Dallas not having someone who can match up with Yao. I think historically, and I may be wrong, that Bradley gives Yao problems because of his length. And conversely, the Rockets don't have anyone to match up against Dirk.

But I think the Rockets deserve some respect going into the playoffs for certain.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Pretender because Yao is too young and the Rockets have a backcourt with a very low IQ in Francis and Mobley. Finding a 2 spot player is the easiest thing in the NBA to do, and I suggest the Rockets try and do so by bundling Mobley and someone else on the bench (and maybe draft picks) for a smart 2 spot star, or at least a smart top 10 SG. That would make the Rockets hugely dangerous, even with a shoot first PG in Francis. Plus, it'd be very difficult to replace Francis with a PG who can defend, who's young and who has good court sense all at the same time. Though Mark Jackson is a very nice backup PG for the Rockets, that was a very good pickup.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Pretender for now. They'll be a contender when Francis decides to step down and let Yao take over as the Rockets' main man.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
As far as Dallas not having someone who can match up with Yao. I think historically, and I may be wrong, that Bradley gives Yao problems because of his length. And conversely, the Rockets don't have anyone to match up against Dirk.
Thats true, but they havent played the Mavs since mid November. I think Yao has made some very nice strides in his power game since then, and could probably overpower Bradley more than he wanted to before.

And unless the Lakers win their division against the Kings, they will probably be matched up against the Rockets or Mavs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts