Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about how terrible this Hawks team is. They were already bad before the Walker trade, but now this current group really might be the worst team in NBA history. They have won just once in their last 26 games, and that one win was an overtime win over Toronto. It is possible that this team loses their last 8 games and ends the year at 11-71. If that does happen does anybody else think ending the season on a 21 game losing streak and losing 33 of their last 34 qualifies them as the worst team ever?

Also how bad is the Hawks management? Do they really have a plan in what direction they want to go with the team. It seems now they are going with a youth movement and are hoping to sign a big time free agent, but I hope they realize nobody is going to sign with them. People just don't want to play in Atlanta.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
It is more of a sign of how bad previous management has been, instead of current management. IMO, Billy Knight has done a decent job given the circumstances but ex-GM Pete Babcock was just horrible. What did he do, well he traded away Tinsley, Gasol, drafted Dermarr Johnson a bust, and traded the pick away in the draft where we could have got Caron Butler or Amare or someone like that.... Stupid moves like that would set any re-building team a few years back. But Knight has done OK. He was able to find a taker for Big Dog when that was supposed to be an untradable contract. And then he draft Josh Smith who is going to be a superstar, so I don't think the current GM is doing that bad.

But you are right. Current team is one of the worst ever. And for the past week and a half they've been playing without Al Harrington who has battled injuries all year. I have looked at many opposing NBA threads when their team play the Hawks, and a ton of times they say things like "I can't believe we barely beat the freakin Hawks" so they arent always gettin blown out.. just losin alot of games late in the 4th quarter.

EDIT: As for FA, they are never going to be able to sign a guy like Kobe, but if they throw a ton of money at a guy like Dalembert, I think he would bite b/c he isn't an established star.. yet.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Personally, I want to see the Hawks succeed once more. They'll probably get a good, young free agent to build around, as well as a good draft pick. All they need is some good coaching and good veteran guidance and they'll be back on track within three years at most.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Also, this is just a theory of mine but I think the Hawks are cursed. I think we upset the Basketball Gods when we traded Dominique for Danny Manning, and now this is our punishment. We are just unlucky. Look at the past two lotterys. We are baaaaad those years, and still missed out on LeBron/Howard. Its just bad luck. I wouldnt be surprised if LA and NY get the top 2 picks, and ATL gets #6 again. It happens every year.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
gian said:
Personally, I want to see the Hawks succeed once more. They'll probably get a good, young free agent to build around, as well as a good draft pick. All they need is some good coaching and good veteran guidance and they'll be back on track within three years at most.
I don't know about veteran guidance, I mean look at the Bulls. Almost all of their core are young guys, but they got a good coach. Then again, look at the Bulls, and how many lottery picks it took. In the early 2000's Atlanta's ex-GM kept trading the picks for terrible washed up veterans like Big Dog and Shareef. If we kept those picks, maybe we would be where Bulls are now. Who knows? Pete Babcock is a ****ing *******, and so is his brother IMO. I think its in the genes. I try to warn Raptor fans about it, but they have rosed colored glasses. Rafael Araujo? Its only the beginning. Next thing they know, they will trade their 2 1st rounders for Lorenzo Wright just like our GM did. Piece of **** *******. I think we should lynch Pete Babcock on Peachtree Street. :clap:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
I didn't realize their record was as bad as it was this year. 11 wins with 8 games left to play. Wow....

But atleast they should get a good spot in this draft, and they've got some nice young players. Still a ways to go though

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
TheATLien said:
I don't know about veteran guidance, I mean look at the Bulls. Almost all of their core are young guys, but they got a good coach.
Possibly, but the Bulls did have JYD, Antonio Davis and Scottie Pippen to guide the young guys. I think it's a good locker room presence to have veterans who know every dirty trick in the post or other stuff like that. A guy like Mark Jackson would be nice for the young PGs, he'd probably be a great mentor for Chris Paul if Atlanta ever drafts him. I'm sure the Hawks can progress without a veteran presence, but I think they'll progress rather quickly with a few veterans on board.

Reactions: ATLien

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
they were goin for the #1 pick anyway

·
Banned
662 Posts
Can you say... KEVIN WILLIS!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
TheATLien said:
Also, this is just a theory of mine but I think the Hawks are cursed. I think we upset the Basketball Gods when we traded Dominique for Danny Manning, and now this is our punishment. We are just unlucky. Look at the past two lotterys. We are baaaaad those years, and still missed out on LeBron/Howard. Its just bad luck. I wouldnt be surprised if LA and NY get the top 2 picks, and ATL gets #6 again. It happens every year.
Dang, that is unlucky... too bad you guys can't get the first pick. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts