Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean come on people, the guy e\averaged a triple double for a entire seaon. not just a wimpy triple double either, a monster triple double. going by the numbers you could claim this guy was the best ever, yet he's not even mentioned among the best PGs ever. He gets overlooked for guys like the overrated Magic Johnson and Gary Payton and John Stockton. So, why doesnt the Big O get the respect he deserves?

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
in my book, he's clearly in magic's category among the top 2 pg's in history. decent dropoff after that, imo.

i'd say a few reasons he doesn't get the respect:
he wasn't flashy or acrobatic
he played along time ago
he won 1 title, with kareem as the main man
he wasn't a traditional pg, in that he scored big numbers (therefore many may misclassify him as something other than a pg)

he was however, clearly a pg, in that he had all the responsibilities of a pg. he dominated the ball.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
You want an underrated player...Elgin Baylor

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
He gets his props from people who really know the game. Alot of youngn's these days dont know their history. Anyone with a decent knowledge of NBA history recognizes the BIG O. He didnt take no crap from anyone during a raciallly tense era and that turned alot of bigoted white people off so they refused to recognize him as a great player in his era but those are just idiots and everyone true fan knows this guy was amazing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
He doesnt get respect because he played so long ago. That is the only reason. I doubt that five people on this board actually watched him play (not counting ESPN Classic).

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'd rate him, based on stats and heresay, as the best PG of all time. Who else can do what he did?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Originally posted by kflo
in my book, he's clearly in magic's category among the top 2 pg's in history. decent dropoff after that, imo.

i'd say a few reasons he doesn't get the respect:
he wasn't flashy or acrobatic
he played along time ago
he won 1 title, with kareem as the main man
he wasn't a traditional pg, in that he scored big numbers (therefore many may misclassify him as something other than a pg)

he was however, clearly a pg, in that he had all the responsibilities of a pg. he dominated the ball.
He was 'the game'. He dominated every aspect the way no other has. He has definite arguments towards being considered the greatest player to play the game... though he didn't exactly stockpile those rings, did he?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts