Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to many, many years of losing, the Bulls are stacked with talent. Much like the Clippers, they face a salary problem. It just hasn't appeared yet. Assuming the prospects pan out...

Chandler- Max
Curry- Max
Jay Williams- Max
Jalen Rose- already maxed
Jamal Crawford- enough potential to demand a high but not max salary

The Bulls will in all likelyhood lose next year, receiving a high lottery pick to whom they will probably pay a lot of money too.
Would Jerry Krause pay the tax for these guys. He did it for Jordan... but hey! It's Jordan.
What do the bulls do?

·
Registered
510 Posts
There is absolutely no question that Bulls will pay big to win, done it, been there, will do it again. MJ's salary alone was more than entire teams payroll and MJ was insulted by the Bulls for whatever reason. Firetruck the anal orafice big time. Don't compare the Bulls to the Clippers, Brand, Miller and Kandi should have been reupped and weren't and most likely won't be

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey, I am not naming anyone a max player until they proved it on the court. If they're like Mr. Lewis who's have a career as a second fiddle and demand the max, he can walk and sign somewhere for the mid exception while passing up my 6-7 mil offer... Asking Marshall that and he can have a pretty good idea of what it's like after losing the advantage in negotiation once the salary cap and luxury tax were put into effect...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It will be awhile till Jay, Eddy, and Tyson are max players. As for Crawford, he'll end up being traded or leaving when free agency comes around because he plays at JWill's position and can't play SG.
If the Bulls learn to play defense, they have a reasonable shot at the playoffs.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think Rose is going to get traded also once Curry, Chandler, and Williams show they don't need him anymore.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by <b>blkwdw13</b>!
I think Rose is going to get traded also once Curry, Chandler, and Williams show they don't need him anymore.
Rose is a great fit here and helps the people he plays with be better. We need him and I think he is here and solid if healthy for the next 5 years.

We just got him at a price, and he makes us a lot better, top talent still thrive in their early to mid 30's, why the hell do you want to dump him?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I can think of 16 mil. reasons in three to four years if the other guys produce and reduce his role on the team.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We are one of the teams that can afford to go over the Luxury Tax. I don't think the Jerrys will hestitate at all to give out Max contracts if the players deserve. We are a big Market team. We have an owner who is willing to pay to win (ex. Micheal Jordan).

However, I do feel that Rose will be traded once 2 of our 3 guns get developed into something special. Rose is not that expensive if we compare him to Finley, Houston, Baker, etc.

Again, I agree with Crawford not being a Bull in the future. The Bulls will trade him probably very soon once they assure "Williams is the real deal".

Actually, Eddy Curry is the only player that i see least likely to either be traded or signed elsewhere. Chicago is his home. The Bulls will not let a "TRUE CENTER" get away. Chandler? Who knows. Williams? Who knows? There are too many good, "All-star", point guards in the league that we don't really know for sure. There are also a decent amount of good power forwards in the NBA.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Assuming that all those guys will be maxed out is way too premature.

Firstly, not one of those guys have proven anything yet on a 21 win team. Expecting each and every one of them to turn out superstar players who deserve max money is extremely optimistic.

Second, who exactly is going to bid against us? The salary cap is killing teams who want to sign free agents. They have players of their own who want max contracts. Look at what has happened this year.

And even if other teams do clear cap money for free agents it is still less than their original team can offer. Add to that the impending luxury tax and it all means quality players will likely stay with their original teams because that is the only team who can come up with the cash. Ask Marshall about that one. Ask Rashard Lewis, the unrealistic fool who really thinks he is worth more than 60 million dollars. No one else has the money to sign these guys!! The only way is through sign and trades.

That's why i say Brand most definitely would of stayed in Chicago. His options would of been very limited.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sinkingship</b>!
Assuming that all those guys will be maxed out is way too premature.

Firstly, not one of those guys have proven anything yet on a 21 win team. Expecting each and every one of them to turn out superstar players who deserve max money is extremely optimistic.

Second, who exactly is going to bid against us? The salary cap is killing teams who want to sign free agents. They have players of their own who want max contracts. Look at what has happened this year.

And even if other teams do clear cap money for free agents it is still less than their original team can offer. Add to that the impending luxury tax and it all means quality players will likely stay with their original teams because that is the only team who can come up with the cash. Ask Marshall about that one. Ask Rashard Lewis, the unrealistic fool who really thinks he is worth more than 60 million dollars. No one else has the money to sign these guys!! The only way is through sign and trades.

That's why i say Brand most definitely would of stayed in Chicago. His options would of been very limited.
Props. Nice post.

We have 3 seasons before we have to seriously worry about this anyways.

VD

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
To build upon what is already here...

This team is two years away from having to really worry about any type of max contracts. Provided we pick up the options on Fizer, Craw and Bags for the 2003-04 season, they won't be up for extension until the summer of 2004. None of those players are max-type players. Fizer and Craw could probably garner some type of mid-level exception, but I can't see them getting much more. Not unless they improve by leaps and bounds. Bags - yea, right.

I've got to agree with sinkingship. Teams right now are gearing up for the FA summer of 2003. There are a lot of big names out there that will be available. You can already see that there are a good number of teams that are trying to clear cap space enough to offer a top-tier FA a max contract. So what happens to these teams after the summer of 2003? They'll be capped out. All they will have to offer in the summer of 2004 are their exceptions. We'd be looking at losing Fizer, Craw and to a lesser extent Bags but for only the mid-level exception. If it turns out that these players are worth the exception, I've got to believe that the Jerrys will offer that to them plus a little extra to keep them here. It then simply becomes a case of where does the player want to play? Are they willing to take somewhat less money and play somewhere else, or do they stay here for a little bit more and possibly play less... Who knows? The point being, I don't forsee any type of bidding war in the future for our looming class of 2000 fa's.

As for Chandler, Williams and Curry. They may qualify as Max players. They may not. Krause has 3 more years to decide on Curry and Chandler and 4 for Williams. A lot can happen in between. In any event, the Bulls will be in a position to offer more than any other team can should the Jerry's decide to do so.

Essentially, what I think will happen is a "survival of the fittest" type scenario, whereby our young players basically fight it out for playing time and value. The Jerrys will keep whom they believe to be worth the money and time and will trade off the rest. When they make their trades, they won't get fair current value for whomever they are trading. They'll be looking at getting vet role players and draft picks. Something like trading an up-and-comming Crawford for Charlie Ward and at least a first round pick if not a first and second round pick in future years - at least 3 years removed. i.e. if we did a deal like that Krause would be looking at picks in 2005 or so. The premise being that by then he'll have his core players in place and he's not going to need his other young stars. He's going to want vet role players just like he had during his championship runs - Paxton, Kerr, Hodges, Wennington, Rodman, Williams (scott), Buechler, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about the finances of the Bulls. If there is one positive thing you can say about Krause, he seems to have a very sound understanding of the current salary structure and I'm sure that he's already mapped out many different scenarios for the next 5 years, at least.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Songcycle</b>!
There is absolutely no question that Bulls will pay big to win, done it, been there, will do it again. MJ's salary alone was more than entire teams payroll and MJ was insulted by the Bulls for whatever reason. Firetruck the anal orafice big time. Don't compare the Bulls to the Clippers, Brand, Miller and Kandi should have been reupped and weren't and most likely won't be
Right on target, Mr. Song. May I also refer everyone to a portion of a Daily Herald article about Donyell Marshall which summarized his agent's rationale behind recommending he sign for less with the Bulls:

Manley said he was assured by chairman Jerry Reinsdorf that the Bulls will be willing to pay the luxury tax while trying to build another championship-caliber team.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls_story.asp?intID=3748823

If the Bulls are ready to challenge for a few more NBA titles, I doubt that management would think twice about spending whatever it took to start a second dynasty.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
nice thread!!!

fl_flash you could be right.

Song..good posts!

sinkingship with posts like the one you made, your ship isn't sinking. Far from it.

Lets see who warrents max money. I fell wants the time comes, we will pay for deserved money

Also i see Rose being here a long time

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Bravo! Good solid thinking. I'll add my kudos to sinkingship...you nailed it.

The free agent dynamic has changed. Going forward, only true superstars will get the max, and it will usually come from the team they're already on (just like Stern & Co. envisioned it).

The very good, but not great players are in a little bit of a box. No other teams will offer them the max, and for the most part, will only be able to offer the mid-level exception. They can do a little better than mid-level with their current teams, because they can go over the cap to re-sign them. Lewis learned a little bit about this new dynamic this off-season. Marshall, too.

As for the Bulls, agree with sinkingship that it's premature to wory about an overabundance of superstars...we might want to make the playoffs or at least win 30 games before we consider this sort of "high class problem."

Also agree with Song that any Bull who has proven his worth on the floor will get market value from the Bulls. There's this knee-jerk reaction among Chicago fans that local ownership is cheap. The Bulls have a history of spending smart...but spending. If they get back to winning consistently, the revenue will be there to handle some luxury tax exposure.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
It's not that I necessarily see Jalen being traded, but the first thing I thought when I saw JWILL penetrate in the RMR was "this marginalizes the Bulls need for Jalen's floor skills."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts