Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The raptors problem always seem to be different and more complex. We always have some huge attitude problem aka trade demands, or a fight between players, or a misread play at the end of the game. I think this has been the biggets challange for our squad. It isn't that we haven't got the talent, but more the personal that we have. Hopefully these miscues will be fininished with next year.

Out starting lineup will be something like this

Hoffa - Hopefully will ummm.. well do something or everything, I have stuck up for him, but everything needs work except his size. His timing is off, which is why his rebounding is off; his confidence is low, he needs to work on his stamina although it hasn't been a big problem, also foul trouble and picks needs to work on the FUNDAMENTALS of ball. If can work on these things, not master them, but just be ABLE to do them, than we have draft correctly. We need an aggresive rebounder and post player, Hoffa should be able to do this.

Bosh - Nothing to criticize except he can't just ask for the ball he needs to DEMAND IT!! No more rafer or jalen jumpers he gets the ball or a touch every play. This is his team, his attitude and skill are unquestionably the best on the team.

Jalen Rose - Hes clutch, and hes a good shooter, but he has to recognize this is Bosh's team, he won't get as many minutes next years with the two rookies.

Mo pete - He will probably start the season of starting and the 3, but he will be a bench players half way in. Just needs to play D have steady confidence and be able to score 10 pts a night.

Rafer - will start next season but will not get nearly as many minutes, because of the rookies, hopefully a rookie pg is drafted, if not i will personal hunt down Babcock.

Bench

I am all for keeping Eric Williams as our 6th man, he is the type of player who can calm a situation down, or make a key defense stop, normally he is a good or positive attitude player.

Bonner - I hope he will add a bit to his repituore next year, perhaps defense, or an improved slashing move, he is the defination of a positive, smart role player.

Aaron Williams - showed he can hit an 8 foot jumper and defend, all we need from a biggie.

Sow - I am interested to see what he brings next year, I see him being pf version of ben wallace, he can be a bit more mobile, but rebound and dunk slightly less, offensively they are similar. Definately will get playing time this year.

Draft Picks -
First first rounder
POINT GUARD, that is what the draft is deep in and that is what we need. A point guard to run the team that can hit an open jumper, not a shoot first point guard, not a point guard who dribbles the ball for half the shot block. The point guard doesn't NEED to create his own shot, he just needs to be able to run team - a real pg.

Second first rounder
In my opinion we need a slashing, rebounding, and defending small forward such as joey graham. Who can start for mo - pete, we have enough three ball magicians, we need a slasher who can open up the game a bit. Bosh will have an easier time, with his offensive game, if he is drafted.

The Second Rounder
I know we have to, but our first one is what is actually very valuable, if we could trade this plus our second, second rounder and go up say 4 or 5 spots, we could draft someone daniel ewing. There will be a lot of talent in the second round, if Babcock is smart, he will draft an athletic something in the draft or another point guard.

lamond murray - trade him for nothing, anything whatever, trade him he is a terrible player no questions. He isn't instant offense or any defense for that matter, he sucks. Instat offense is bobby jackson, he is not bobby jackson and will never amount to bobby jackson, his jumper is average, if he took more people would realize this, dont just look at stats. Anyways he wont get any playing time next year. Thus he will put up a stink, we do not need him.

Finally - let's not forget about alvin williams, he is still a respectable player in this league, and dont think for a second he won't give his all, give his 110. This man will still play defense and be able to hit a jumper.

The reality is were not going to get anybody this offseason, except via draft. Another reality is that we don't really need to much, to be successful. Our bench is very good, even without marshall, palicio, or murray. If Babcock plays his cards right there is no reason, no reason at all this group can't get into the playoffs next year, unless (knock knock) some key injury goes down. Next year, other than Bosh any player can get injured, perhaps not Rose, and have someone to fill in for him.

Team

Rafer/Rookie/Rookie
Rose/Adub/ Rookie (maybe 2nd round)
Mo pete/Eric Williams/ Rookie (Will start later)
Bosh/ Bonner/AaronWill/Sow
Hoffa/Woods (if reuped)

You may be asking yourself, wait a minute how can this lineup be a lot better than this years. Simple, Bosh and Hoffa will be better and more dominate, we have a healthy, positive, and intesne sg back from a year long injury, two first round rookies who will be ready to contribute, hopefuly, Finally palicio will be gone, enough said.

I don't know why I wrote this, other than the fact that i see myself on every draft website preparing myself for next year. Also, anything is better than writing an essay on neo-colonialism

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I think we're 2 drafts away, if all goes well- meaning Babcock makes 4 good first round draft choices- from putting an elite squadron of players together. We will probably have to wait until after the following season (when Jalen expires and Bosh is resigned) for the team to begin realizing their full potential and win the Atlantic division.

But you never really know. If Babcock takes two ready-now players in this draft- say, Deron Williams and Shelden Williams- we could be in contention for the division title this year. Hell, even if he took two high-risk high potential players like Gerald Green and Hakim Warrick (probably my personal favourite combination outside of getting Jack with our second), we could be in contention based on Hoffa and Bosh's development alone.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I disagree, I think talent is what we're lacking. We've got two guys who could legitimately start on a top 5 team: Bosh and Rose. The rest of the roster is basically bench caliber players. This doesn't mean they're bad, but right now the overall talent level is quite low. Part of this comes from trading our most talented player for picks and bench players.

·
Registered
375 Posts
SkywalkerAC said:
I think we're 2 drafts away, if all goes well- meaning Babcock makes 4 good first round draft choices- from putting an elite squadron of players together. We will probably have to wait until after the following season (when Jalen expires and Bosh is resigned) for the team to begin realizing their full potential and win the Atlantic division.

But you never really know. If Babcock takes two ready-now players in this draft- say, Deron Williams and Shelden Williams- we could be in contention for the division title this year. Hell, even if he took two high-risk high potential players like Gerald Green and Hakim Warrick (probably my personal favourite combination outside of getting Jack with our second), we could be in contention based on Hoffa and Bosh's development alone.
I agree... I think we are 2 GOOD drafts away... we're missing a pass first point guard, an athletic wing, and a good shooter...

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
I think we are a couple of years away, but Babcock is definately going about it in the right manner. He's already started to pluck out people that don't fit his type of mindset for a basketball team. We are slowly getting the right people around here, guys who put it all on the floor, and give their maximum effort every game. I'm not expecting any miracles here, I don't think we can consider ourselves an elite team anytime soon, it's going to take a lot of hard work but so far I like what I'm seeing.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Were one impact draft pick + three years away. Let's hope that impact pick is this year.

or

3 Solid Draft Picks over next two years + three years away.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Deron Williams has really impressed me with his play... and I think we should draft him if you want a player who can hit the open shot but knows how to run the offense... and as for the other pick... like i posted in the other thread... why not trade to get 2 lower picks... because i want us to have a chance to pick up a guy like rudy fernandez... he is an intruiging player that fits well to our run and gun system... very much like manu ginobili as the report says...

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
rnd 1 a PG deron Williams
rnd 1 b C sheldon Williams/Joey Grahem
rnd 2 trade up SG Salim Stodamire

deron is ur future franchise PG, shelson a good back up and if Hoffa does not improve he can take over and Hoffa the back up/grahem your future sf a upgrade offensively over mo Pete as he slashes to the bucket, its his style we need someone like him

Stodamire is rose's future replacement can knock 3's with ease, if we dont take a PG in the 1st they better move up and nab Ewing, I am still pissed:curse: to why we did'nt move up last year and take duhon or burks.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
We Had Some Many Chances This Year, To Get The 8th/7th Seed... But U Know, It's The Raps :cry:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Really how far is any team from being top 5 in the east?? :biggrin:

Seriously though DERON WILLIAMS!!! is our guy. I remember seeing and hearing about babcock scouting the big ten extensively during the tourney and season. Basically the big ten = illinois for nba prospects which = Deron\

Dont screw up babcock

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Probably four years away, depending on how quickly our young players (Matt, Chris, Hoffa, Pape, and our picks) develop.

I don't think we will be contenders until after that big free-agent summer where we can hopefully add some nice pieces to the team.

Nice post!

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread, in that we don't have enough talent, and that we are a couple drafts/offseasons away for contending in our conference.

With most likely four first round picks in the next two years, the next two drafts are going to be huge. If we stock up on young talent that fits into Babcock's and Mitchell's big picture, we should be looking good for the 06-07 offseason where we have all that cap space to work with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts