Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Into the playoffs...

Now I'm assuming they can into the playoffs, and they better with the team they have now or I know certain coach that's going to get fired next year :D

you have lakers, kings, mavs, spurs who are locks for top 4 seeds, maybe houston will get in there if ming works out...

First seed probably kings, 2nd seed lakers...

If clippers are 7th or 8th seed they won't get past either...
but if they are 5th or 6th seed, they might have a chance. I think they have a good chance at 6th seed and giving the mavs or spurs a run for their money...

Just random thoughts
:laugh:

So 8 teams from west will be
1)kings 2)lakers 3)mavs 4)spurs 5)houston 6)clippers 7)t-wolves 8)????
Will it be jazz? sonics? or suns? hmm...

·
Registered
293 Posts
Houston will not make the playoffs, at least not as the 5th seed. Yao will not do much. Quote me on that. The T-wolves might not make the playoffs. It's tough to say... Here are my picks:

1st Seed-Kings (we saw they were good)
2nd-Lakers (of course they will be in the top 2)
3rd-Mavs (talented and on the rise)
4th-Spurs (they have the MVP)
5th-Blazers (maybe a little overrated for them)
6th-Clippers (Lots of young talent, very questionable)
7th-Wolves (we'll have to see how the team turns out)
8th-Jazz (Stockton and Malone have one last chance)

8th:Jazz or Sonics or Houston then Suns

It will be very interesting...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd say they'd get into the playoffs as the number 5 seed. Just on the fact that they got miller and with probable improvements from and Q and maggette and with lamar actually playing they should have no problem.

1-8 in the west:

1. Lakers
2. Kings
3. Mavs
4. Spurs
5. Clipps
6. Rockets
7. Blazers
8. Jazz/T'wolves/Sonics

·
Registered
514 Posts
If they get in I think that they will be either the 7th or 8th seed, they should push who ever they play to the final game but they will lose because of lack of plaoff experience. The year after that I expect them to do a lot better depending on what Sterling does with resigning his players and free aagents.

·
Registered
450 Posts
id say:

1st seed:kings
2nd seed:lakers
3rd seed:spurs
4th seed:twolves
5th seed:mavs
6th seed:clippers
7th seed:blazers
8th seed:rockets,sonics,jazz

·
Registered
293 Posts
T-wolves, 4th? You are crazy! They have too many problems, maybe in about 3 years....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey guys, you cant have the top two seeds be teams from the same Conference! The number two seed is whoever wins the midwest. So its

1. Kings
2. San Antionio
3. Lakers
4. Dallas
5. Clippers
6. Minnesota
7. Blazers
8. Suns

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
1.Lakers
2.Spurs
3.Kings
4.Mavs
5.Blazers
6.Twolves
7.Sonics
8.Clippers

·
Registered
32 Posts
You all are crazy saying the Clippers are gonna get the #5 seed. There's no way, there are too teams in the West wh are better than the Clippers, and if rashard Lewis stays Seattle is one of those teams. Everyone is overhyping L.A. to the moon, it's crazy. Face it people, L.A. may get into the playoffs but even if they do it will be as an 8th seed and they will be swept out by the #1 seeded Kings or Lakers. And if they don't make the playoffs this year it's over. Sterling will lose Brand, Miller and other and the Clippers will go back to being the joke of the NBA.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is Gentry an upper echelon coach, able to mold talent into a cohesive, selfless unit? I would still jettison a bit more talent for as solid a veteran role player and leader as I could find.

Who is going to step up in the fourth quarter and hit the dagger shot? Maybe Miller, now. Odom needs to show maturity and use his passing skills. He should drive a defense crazy, but he is just not solid enough.

Some names( have done no research on availaibilty etc, just the "right kind of player".)

Houston
Pippen
christie
Eddie Jones
Szcerbiak
Starks
Nick Anderson
Van Exel
Walt Williams

Add a player like one of the above and jettison either/and/or Dooling, Maggette,Wilcox and you have a more mature, highly talented contender, if the coach can coach.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The only people on that list that I would take is Wally, but that isn't possible becauseSterling ins't going to pay all that money for extension next year, that's three possible five contracts next year. Van Exle might also be a choice but Cuban isn't going to trade somebody like that into the same confrence. All the others are either to old or don't have half the talent as the guys on the Clippers. They should just leave their roster alone for this year and make the little tinkering adjustments to the team.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Seeds 5-8 are wide open. Portland based on talent should have a lock on #5 but haven't been able to put it together. Losing Billups hurts Minnesota when Brandon gets hurt this year. Unless someone makes a move and if everyone (I.e. Marshall and Lewis) resigns Portland, Minnesota, Seattle, Utah, LAC, Houston? and Phoenix? will fight for the 5-8 seeds. I think right now it is too close to call and will come down to the last 1-2 games before it is decided. Start studying up on tie breakers. I think it will be that close.

Originally posted by jsa
I would still jettison a bit more talent for as solid a veteran role player and leader as I could find. Some names( have done no research on availaibilty etc, just the "right kind of player".)

Houston
Pippen
christie
Eddie Jones
Szcerbiak
Starks
Nick Anderson
Van Exel
Walt Williams

Add a player like one of the above and jettison either/and/or Dooling, Maggette,Wilcox and you have a more mature, highly talented contender, if the coach can coach.
My thoughts

Houston - ? Has made some big shots. Is available but price way to high.
Pippen - ? With Jordan he was great. Didn't help Houston or Portland with leadership.
christie - Maybe
Eddie Jones - Maybe.
Szcerbiak - ? Don't think so from what I hear about him. teammate problems
Starks - NO. Has little left and wasn't able to fill that role with Utah last two years. He sat in favor of Stevenson and Lewis!
Nick Anderson - ?
Van Exel - Are you out of your mind? Any GM who gets this guy for leadership should be fired and comitted to the insane asylum. If that GM's team is as young and upcoming like LAC he should be shot before the phone is set down. Van Exel is a lazy, selfish waste of a player who has destroyed every team he has been with except Dallas. BUT give him some time. Denver and Lakers? He will lead LAC to self destruction at best. Dallas is looking to trade him. Why? Certainly not money!
Walt Williams - ?

·
Registered
932 Posts
1. Kings
2. Spurs
3. Lakers
4. Mavs
5. Wolves
6. Clips
7. Blazers
8. Sonics

Seems like the top 5 are the same every year. I hope Shaq gets a season-ending injury or something so we dont have to see them hoist another damn trophy. :yes:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Originally posted by g-dog-rice
Houston will not make the playoffs, at least not as the 5th seed. Yao will not do much. Quote me on that
Does it matter that Yao will not do much??? The Rockets would've made the playoffs last year if not for Stevie Franchise's injury. And that was without Rice, Taylor, Ming, Nachbar, etc... Houston will make the playoffs barring any injury from Cuttino or Francis. Quote ME on that.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Rockets

The Rockets wouldn't have made the playoffs this past year and won't next year. Nachbar is not coming over yet and is having knee surgery that will sideline him for 7 more months. Francis only missed 4 games, he used his headaches as an excuse for losing. Mo Taylor hurts not helps a team, especially because Griffin's PT will go down, even though neither is good at the moment. Mobley can't guard opposing teams' PGs let alone SGs. Ming wont make a real difference his first 3 years. Glen Rice wouldn't help an ioda for even the Bulls. The following teams are going to definitely ahead of the Rockets in the WC:
1. Lakers
2. Kings
3. Spurs
4. Mavs
5. Clippers
6. Blazers
7. T-Wolves
8. Jazz
9. Sonics
10. Suns
although if the Rockets can get past the Suns,Sonics,Jazz, and make the playoffs it would be amazing.

my order is :
1.Lakers
2.Kings
3.Spurs
4.Clippers (surprised, well they have a good record against Dallas and that makes the difference between 4 and 5)
5.Mavs
6.Blazers
7.T-Wolves
8.Jazz

·
Registered
924 Posts
Rockets...

I ain't even gonna get into an argument because you obviously don't have any clue what your talking about.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Re: Rockets

Originally posted by TheGoods
Nachbar is not coming over yet and is having knee surgery that will sideline him for 7 more months.
I don't know anything about the surgery but Houston has officially announced his signing for the upcoming year. Here is an excerpt and the link.
July 11 (HOUSTON) - The Houston Rockets have signed Slovenian forward Bostjan Nachbar to a multi-year contract, General Manager Carroll Dawson announced today. Nachbar, who was selected by the Rockets with the 15th overall pick of the 2002 NBA Draft, becomes the first of the team’s three draft picks to sign.
Link - http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_Sign_Bostjan_Nachbar_T-48931-34.html

Does that not mean he is coming? If not that would mean he is sitting out the upcoming season and not playing at all.

·
Registered
983 Posts
The Rockets would not have made the playoffs last year if Francis was healthy.

Why?

Because if you want to use that type of logic, then the Clippers would have made the playoffs with Lamar Odom healthy, and therefore, the Rockets would not have made it, cuz the Rockets were not as good as the Clippers last year.

Both teams had their best players out, and key secondary players. Yet, the Clippers still were better.

Lakers, Mavs, Clippers, Kings, Spurs, Blazers, and TWolves will make t he playoffs.

That leaves Seattle, Phoenix, Utah, and the Rockets in a battle for the final spot. I'd rank them Utah, Houston, Seattle, Phoenix.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by KennethTo
Into the playoffs...

Now I'm assuming they can into the playoffs, and they better with the team they have now or I know certain coach that's going to get fired next year :D

you have lakers, kings, mavs, spurs who are locks for top 4 seeds, maybe houston will get in there if ming works out...

First seed probably kings, 2nd seed lakers...

If clippers are 7th or 8th seed they won't get past either...
but if they are 5th or 6th seed, they might have a chance. I think they have a good chance at 6th seed and giving the mavs or spurs a run for their money...

Just random thoughts
:laugh:

So 8 teams from west will be
1)kings 2)lakers 3)mavs 4)spurs 5)houston 6)clippers 7)t-wolves 8)????
Will it be jazz? sonics? or suns? hmm...
I dont think the Clippers will get out of the first round of the playoffs. Here are my sseeds.

1. Mavs- Novitski, Finley, Nash etc. If they are on, watch out
2.Lakers- Kobe, Shaq no more explanation needed
3. Kings- Webber, Bibby, Stovakovitch, Divac. They gave the Lakers a run for their money.
4. Spurs- twin towers
5. Clipps- Kandi, Brand,Odom,Rich, Miller - one of the scariest line ups in the league on any given night
6. Rockets
7.Wolves- KG will find a way
8. Blazers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts