Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Championship Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A team from the A10 has made the sweet 16 every year since 2008 (this was also the last time we made the elite 8). How far will we go this year?

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I wish it would go all the way to Omaha;)

If not this year, then hopefully in a year or two when things shake out some more due to FB or other Conference-related moves.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
I hope in the next decade the A-10 can do better in the NCAA tournament than the past decade. Outside of Xavier, the A-10 has only had 2 teams (St. Joe's and Richmond) who ever made a Sweet 16 in the past decade and both just made it once each. Luckily for the A-10 Xavier has made it 5 times in the past 10 years.

This conference will never shed the mid-major label with another decade of results like that. Hopefully Butler and VCU can continue their success and help Xavier make some national noise and attention for the A-10. (And hopefully SLU can continue their upward trajectory and experience major success in the NCAA's).

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
It's tough enough to project the NCAA tourney the day before game start, so any predictions in June are just throwing darts blindfolded...

That said, I'm not sure I see a Sweet 16 team in the A10 entering this upcoming season. As many as 10 teams capable of making the dance, but I think we're all lacking the punch needed to be truly Sweet 16 caliber.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's tough enough to project the NCAA tourney the day before game start, so any predictions in June are just throwing darts blindfolded...

That said, I'm not sure I see a Sweet 16 team in the A10 entering this upcoming season. As many as 10 teams capable of making the dance, but I think we're all lacking the punch needed to be truly Sweet 16 caliber.
You don't need a "Sweet 16 team" in order to make the Sweet 16...things just need to work out for you at the right time.

I'll go with 4-5 teams make the dance, 2-3 make it past the first weekend. Then maybe 1 to make it further (and no offense to Xavier, but I'd like it to be a team that either hasn't ever been, or a team that hasn't been recently - better for the conference)

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
You don't need a "Sweet 16 team" in order to make the Sweet 16...things just need to work out for you at the right time.

I'll go with 4-5 teams make the dance, 2-3 make it past the first weekend. Then maybe 1 to make it further (and no offense to Xavier, but I'd like it to be a team that either hasn't ever been, or a team that hasn't been recently - better for the conference)
Wow, that's a bold prediction. 3 teams from the A-10 making the Sweet 16 next year? We've only had 3 teams make it to the Sweet 16 over the past decade. And 1 to the Final 4?

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
UMass hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 14 years and hasn't won an NCAA game in 17 years, yet it's very likely they are going to make the Elite 8?

Makes sense I guess...
Now tell me, what does all of that have to do with next year? Does that really have any impact on next year?

I sure bet that Chaz Williams is thinking, boy we got a good looking team next year. I believe we can go to the elite 8, but there is one thing that may hold us back. We haven't won a single NCAA tournament game in 17 years, even though none of us were on the team for the first 14 years of that stretch. That's really gonna hold us back for the goals we want to accomplish next year.

C'mon. Stop spewing the same feeble analysis that you would hear on the likes of ESPN. There is no correlation between that and what happens next year. For christ sakes, use a little logic.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
UMass hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 14 years and hasn't won an NCAA game in 17 years, yet it's very likely they are going to make the Elite 8?

Makes sense I guess...
But this is where Xavier fans are really wrong on the whole building a program up to a Final Four level team (program). Sure, it's logical to say that because that's generally what you have to do in sports. BUT, college basketball is crazy, especially once you get to the tourny and it's why I've always said I'm more impressed that X has just made the tourny 11/12 years instead of being impressed with S16 and E8 runs. Does anyone really believe that VCU and Butler were 2 of the best 4 teams in the nation 2 years ago? With the one and done rule, all a team has to do is make the tourny with a senior laden team and catch lightning in a bottle and make a run with favorable matchups. We've seen it happen in 3 of the last 4 years and saw George Mason do it 5-6 years ago.

So to say that "UMass hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 14 years and hasn't won an NCAA game in 17 years, yet it's very likely they are going to make the Elite 8?" is completely irrelevant to the argument. X has built up a much better program over the last 20 years then VCU but VCU has a FF banner and X doesnt. Now percentages say that the formula for X should work and for UMass it shouldn't but again, the past 2 decades really mean nothing entering this season.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
I hear Kent State is coming out with their own Final 5 T-shirts for this season.
Although a college World Series appearance for an A-10 member would be great, I was referring to members of the A-10 visiting Omaha to play Creighton as a new member of the Conference.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sweet 16 again, this time with SLU is my prediction. Way too early to try to predict, but SLU seems like more of a tournament-style team than some of the others, and I do think if we get 4 in someone will make the S16.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The a-10's crappy performance in the Big Dance has something to do with the tournament seedings. For example, a GW team that went undefeated in conference ends up playing Duke right off the bat.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts

Absolutely. But we don't know the tourney matchups right now. You can't predict luck, a good draw, or an upset in the other half of your first four team pod.

If you're trying to guess Sweet 16 teams preseason, you have to go with 16 of the strongest teams in the country, otherwise you are predicting on a wing and a prayer. I don't think we have anyone that good. I don't think we have anyone I would put in my own preseason top 25. VCU would be a close call for me. Will we have a Sweet 16 team? Possibly. But we lack that hammer team, like Xavier and Temple were last year. Funny how most Sweet 16 teams come from the group of teams most think will make the Sweet 16 preseason. We have a whole lot of maybe.

This will be a strong league with 10 teams capable of becoming tourney caliber. I think we will get 4 or 5 bids. Our best team will be a five or six seed, and everyone else will be between 8-13 seeds.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I though Umass was going to be the National Champion? Why can't I choose that option?

Reactions: Bona84

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
But this is where Xavier fans are really wrong on the whole building a program up to a Final Four level team (program). Sure, it's logical to say that because that's generally what you have to do in sports. BUT, college basketball is crazy, especially once you get to the tourny and it's why I've always said I'm more impressed that X has just made the tourny 11/12 years instead of being impressed with S16 and E8 runs. Does anyone really believe that VCU and Butler were 2 of the best 4 teams in the nation 2 years ago? With the one and done rule, all a team has to do is make the tourny with a senior laden team and catch lightning in a bottle and make a run with favorable matchups. We've seen it happen in 3 of the last 4 years and saw George Mason do it 5-6 years ago.

So to say that "UMass hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 14 years and hasn't won an NCAA game in 17 years, yet it's very likely they are going to make the Elite 8?" is completely irrelevant to the argument. X has built up a much better program over the last 20 years then VCU but VCU has a FF banner and X doesnt. Now percentages say that the formula for X should work and for UMass it shouldn't but again, the past 2 decades really mean nothing entering this season.
My post was my opinion, not the cumulative opinion of all Xavier fans.

We just have a difference of opinion I guess. Not sure there are a whole bunch of teams that come from total obscurity (not making an NCAA tournament in 14 years) to going to the Elite 8.

History is the best predictor of what will happen in the future. A lot of people on here don't like to talk about history (well history from a relevent timeframe). I hope UMass can make an Elite 8 run this year- would be great for the A10. I just won't be hedging any bets that a program who hasn't sniffed the NCAA tournament in 14 years or won a game in 17 years will be making a miraculous Elite 8 run.

And Xavier making the NCAA 11/12 years... that's what is expected of the program now. It would be considered a very bad year if we didn't make the NCAA tournament. I'm a little surprised you are more impressed by that than by playing and beating the best of the best and making the Sweet 16/Elite 8 runs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts