Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good was he compared to PGs of the last 15 years? Could he be a top PG in todays game?

What are your opinions?

Thanks!

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nikos</b>!
How good was he compared to PGs of the last 15 years? Could he be a top PG in todays game?

What are your opinions?

Thanks!
Yes, one of the best offensive PGs ever. He put up big point and assist numbers. Very smooth player.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
KJ averaged around 20 points and 9.5 assists.

He even averaged over 10 assists and over 20 points in a season once.

KJ was really good, he had hops too, he dunked on Hakeem during the 93 playoffs. He reminds me of a superior version of a PRIME Terrel Brandon.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
No PG in the league right now is close to KJ.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
No PG in the league right now is close to KJ.
Damn Skippy.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
He was a tremendous talent that was put into a system that allowed him to put up big numbers. He just did what he was told. But i cant tell you how many times the Suns would come up the court and he would just take guys off the dribble and never pass. He was kind of a ball hog that way. And when he did pass, you had to be wide open for a J. When Phoenix added Barkley, KJs game started to unravel. What I also remember about him was how badly he was abused when it counted. Pax and BJ made mince meat out of him and the Bulls used his tendency to over dribble to their advantage in the finals. I played KJ a couple of times in pickup games at ASU. I can tell you that there has never been a quickler or faster player in the NBA since him, but I can also tell you he was as smug a person as youll ever meet. He put up great stats but his team never reached greatness until Barkley came, and KJ couldnt mesh with him at all. And CB wasnt a huge KJ fan either

·
Registered
657 Posts
I remember a huge barkley's block on KJ when barkley was (i think) in Houston. KJ clearly attempted to posterize Charles who made a great jump to save his honor :D. This action symbolises pretty well the antagonism between the two men.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Think Starbury.

I have to admit Starbury is at least as good as what KJ was during his prime, eventhough I don't like Starbury and KJ was one of my favorite players.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
He was a tremendous talent that was put into a system that allowed him to put up big numbers. He just did what he was told. But i cant tell you how many times the Suns would come up the court and he would just take guys off the dribble and never pass. He was kind of a ball hog that way. And when he did pass, you had to be wide open for a J. When Phoenix added Barkley, KJs game started to unravel. What I also remember about him was how badly he was abused when it counted. Pax and BJ made mince meat out of him and the Bulls used his tendency to over dribble to their advantage in the finals. I played KJ a couple of times in pickup games at ASU. I can tell you that there has never been a quickler or faster player in the NBA since him, but I can also tell you he was as smug a person as youll ever meet. He put up great stats but his team never reached greatness until Barkley came, and KJ couldnt mesh with him at all. And CB wasnt a huge KJ fan either
Well that's a pretty spot on analysis, but the Suns were very, very good with KJ before Barkley came over and they had Horny, but obviously having a guy like Chuck vs. Jeff is going to improve your team. Barkely put them over the top. If they had had Barkley when Chambers was in his prime they would have won championships. Johnson also turned a 28-54 into a 55-27 team his first season in Phoenix, and that's when Phoenix LOST their two best players in Larry Nance and Walter Davis, but added Kevin Johnson and Tom Chambers. (Chambers was awesome, but Nance was nearly as good at the time)

I've seen some of KJ's games on ESPN Classic from the late 80's during the Suns playoff runs with Chambers, KJ, Eddie Johnson, Hornacek, and Armen Gilliam and also watched him a lot during the mid 90's.. He had some injuries that slowed him down (even though in his twilight he was still very fast), but he adapted his game and turned into a good outside shooter the last 2-3 years of his career..

If he was playing today in his prime, imagine Steve Francis on speed, but smaller.. He had those kind of moves but was much faster than Francis and was almost as good of a leaper, on top of being a much, much more efficient/better scorer.

I agree with BigAmare.. from what I've seen of him during his prime he looks way better than any point guard I watch today.. but then again that's not saying much since there are really only 3 or 4 respectable points in the league today..

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
KJ is the best PG in suns history. YEs even better than kidd. From what i remember he was a Jason Kidd that could score. he could push the pall and played ok defense. SO think Starbury but a person that passed more. He was a great player and was the second best player on our team in the finals year. And I dont think KJ was a ball hog seeing how Barkley led our team in scoring...

·
Registered
5 Posts
KJ played that whole 93 playoffs with a torn hammy, so let's not get carried away with Paxson and BJ Armstrong schooled him talk.

As far as him today, he'd be one of the top PG's in the league. The way defenses are now, he'd very difficult to stop. He could pull up and knock down the open jumper, he could blow defender's and when defender's would collapse down on him he'd hit an open teammate. Very tough to guard.

KJ was more of an AI kind of player in the sense that his first choice was to take it to the hole. He didn't have AI's toughness or his strength, but he was an awsome offensive player. As mentioned before, he did average 20-10 (3 times).

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>nfldraftking</b>!
KJ played that whole 93 playoffs with a torn hammy, so let's not get carried away with Paxson and BJ Armstrong schooled him talk.

As far as him today, he'd be one of the top PG's in the league. The way defenses are now, he'd very difficult to stop. He could pull up and knock down the open jumper, he could blow defender's and when defender's would collapse down on him he'd hit an open teammate. Very tough to guard.

KJ was more of an AI kind of player in the sense that his first choice was to take it to the hole. He didn't have AI's toughness or his strength, but he was an awsome offensive player. As mentioned before, he did average 20-10 (3 times).
In games 1 and 2, he had MORE TURNOVERS then POINTS. He was schooled. This isnt trolling, this is a fact.

He was a top PG but lets not include him among the alltime greats. He was far too Me First to be considered a great player, at any position

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
KJ wasn't me first, get a clue.

Charles was much much more of a ball hog. And KJ was it who turned around this franchise in the late 80s.

Not an alltime great? The only PGs who could have matched KJ in his prime would be Stockton, Magic and Big O probably. What did KJ average 20+ppg 12+apg 50%+FG? And his best day were ahead of him if he hadn't been injured.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
He was a top PG but lets not include him among the alltime greats. He was far too Me First to be considered a great player, at any position
Are u SERIOUS? I agree with big amare, u really havent seen KJ play much. Youre probably judging from seeing him once or twice.

Dude KJ is one of those extreamly rare guards. Much like Gary Payton in that, KJ was a PURE point guard, who could score. He wasnt a scoring point guard, or a shooting guard in a point guards body like Francis.

He was a Pure point, he could run offenses to a T. He made everyone around him better, and could score at will. I'd even go as far as say he was one of the best point guards in the history of the game.

The only reason Cleveland got rid of him was because they had Mark price at the time, if they knew what would follow, they would have definatly kept KJ. Even though KJ played well when Price was out, Price was a superstar back then and the cavs had faith in his return. oh well, good for the suns!

I dont call Marbury a pure point, no matter how many assists he hands out. He just doesnt have that ability to carry his team by being a floor general like Kidd, KJ or even TJ Ford SEEMS to have.

In all my years, i have never seen a PURE point guard, who was so athletic, and could score at will. Extremely rare. And that was in a nutshell, Kevin Johnson.

Hire out some videos, from ur store, I found quite a few at HMV and i live in australia, basically about KJ and his injuries, or about the suns finals run.

·
Registered
5 Posts

In games 1 and 2, he had MORE TURNOVERS then POINTS. He was schooled. This isnt trolling, this is a fact.

Again, he played the ENTIRE 93 playoffs with a torn hamstring. Do you have any idea how painfull that is? The fact the was able to play is remarkable. I'll give you this, he didn't have a great series, but to say he was outplayed by John Paxson and BJ Armstrong is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
also do u know he had a record minutes played in one game and series or something like that. im pretty sure it was 55 minutes or something crazy like that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I remember that dunk on Hakeem. But does anyone here rememeber that block he had on Kevin Johnson against the backboard.

Man those 2 teams had some great playoff series. I wish i could see some of them again.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
KJ a ball hog?

He likes to score, but he didnt put up 20-25 shots a night to do it.

He would average around 15 shots, with the occasional 20+ shots every now and then.

Phoenix was never a very popular team until Barkley got there and brought them to the finals. Thats one reason, many people didnt get to see KJ in his greatness. He's definitely top 15 all-time point guards... even top 10 in my eyes.

Upon his retirement, KJ was actually just behind Stockton in all-time assists... in terms of active players back then.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
While KJ was a good player, let's not get ahead of ourselves on a Jason Kidd comparision. Kidd has been the best PG in the league for the past 6 years, including this year. Kidd has been the best defensive PG in the league, and the best rebounding PG to boot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts