Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....if the Blazers edged-out Memphis for the 8th Playoff seed on the last day of the regular season? :clap: That draft pick is taking on larger, and larger proportions....

BTW, on that day, The Grizzlies host the T-Wolves, while the Blazers host the Lakers.

Stay tuned!!

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Personally, I don't think it would be that big a deal. After all, in that position it wouldn't improve the Blazers' drafting position and it would just mean.....

OK, I can't lie any longer. It would be HUGE all right. Fantastic as a Blazers' fan to see.

Then to see the Blazers upset the Kings in the first round....but am I dreaming too much now? ;)

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
My latest personal two-step test for a successful Blazers' season:

1. Blazers make playoffs
2. Memphis misses playoffs

Of course, Portland has very little control over #2, but if Portland walks away with a lottery pick and keep the playoff streak alive it'll make me feel OK about the season considering how it's started.

Ed O.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Gaah, saw the thread title and thought this yet more of that kind of spam in my inbox. Never mind.

Um, yeah, edging out Memphis for spot #8 would be a double victory - as long as the Grizz don't get a top 3 ping pong ball.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
....if the Blazers edged-out Memphis for the 8th Playoff seed on the last day of the regular season? :clap: That draft pick is taking on larger, and larger proportions....

BTW, on that day, The Grizzlies host the T-Wolves, while the Blazers host the Lakers.

Stay tuned!!
Hmmm, I don't think it would make that big of difference. Picking 14 and 22 would have been the difference betweenLuke Ridnour and what you selected last season.

Now if we miss the playoffs and get in the top 3, having our 2004 draft pick could have value because I don't see the West getting anything but harder next season.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I have a strong feeling the Blazers will make the playoffs. Basically, it's taken most of the season, but the team is finally playing with some cohesion, there's a rotation that makes sense, and there's true depth, thanks to the emergence of a couple of youngsters. With Stoudamire starting to play with more confidence and the Blazers playing better team defense behind him, the one major liability has been limited. Add in the emergence of Darius Miles and the consistency of Zach Randolph, we're able to bring Dale Davis and Ruben Patterson off the bench - a huge advantage against young teams like the Grizzlies and Nuggets.

As for the teams lying just ahead of the Blazers, I think the Sonics and Rockets will make the postseason.

The Jazz just don't have the talent to hang with the big Western powers for the rest of the season, especially without Matt Harpring. Sloan is a master of getting the most out of his talent, but he needs more to work this than the current roster.

The Nuggets are going to falter when Carmelo Anthony hits the rookie wall. The kid is fantastic but rookies notoriously slow down in March and April (and teams start picking up their tendencies). I don't see Bzdelik as a genius coach, and there's a limit to how much a team can hustle once they get 60-70 games into the season.

Finally, the Grizzlies are depending on the famously undependable likes of Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells, and when games get more physical in the spring, Pau Gasol is not the banger they need. If Mike Miller's not 100-percent, their talent pool starts to shrink, too.

I think we're going to see...

1. Sacramento
2. Minnesota
3. LA Lakers
4. Dallas
5. San Antonio
6. Houston
7. Seattle
8. Portland

I think a first round Blazers' upset is unlikely, but far from impossible... especially if Randolph, Miles, and Wallace continue to improve how they play as the starting frontcourt.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FeloniusThunk</b>!
Gaah, saw the thread title and thought this yet more of that kind of spam in my inbox. Never mind.

Um, yeah, edging out Memphis for spot #8 would be a double victory - as long as the Grizz don't get a top 3 ping pong ball.
As in SPAM!:sour:

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
My latest personal two-step test for a successful Blazers' season:

1. Blazers make playoffs
2. Memphis misses playoffs

Ed O.

And to make it even better :wait:

3. Memphis gets the #5 pick in the 2004 NBA draft. Translation.. Portland gets the #5 pick :D

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
If the Blazers edged out the Grizzlies on the last day of the season, the Grizzlies could NOT get the #5 pick. In fact, they would end up with the #14 pick. Only the top three picks are determined by lotto. If Memphis wins the lotto, we don't get it. #4 is Charlotte. The rest are based on record. The #9 team in the West will wind up with the 14th pick. No biggie.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
If the Blazers edged out the Grizzlies on the last day of the season, the Grizzlies could NOT get the #5 pick. In fact, they would end up with the #14 pick. Only the top three picks are determined by lotto. If Memphis wins the lotto, we don't get it. #4 is Charlotte. The rest are based on record. The #9 team in the West will wind up with the 14th pick. No biggie.
Come again?

How did Orlando win the Lotto than in '94 getting Webber and trading him to GS? They had the best record out of the playoff and winning the lotto. Has that system changed?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RW#30</b>!

Come again?

How did Orlando win the Lotto than in '94 getting Webber and trading him to GS? They had the best record out of the playoff and winning the lotto. Has that system changed?
Yup. Mostly because of that precise incident.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

Yup. Mostly because of that precise incident.
Yes, you get more chances if you have a worst record but you are still in the lotto and can win the top spot. Am I wrong?

·
Top Of The Pops
27,473 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RW#30</b>!

Yes, you get more chances if you have a worst record but you are still in the lotto and can win the top spot. Am I wrong?
Yes, you're right about that. Only the top three picks are done by lottery, but all the non-playoff teams have a chance at those picks. The chances just fall off incredibly, now, if you're outside the worst five teams, or so.

Once the top three picks have been determined, all the other selections are slotted in by inverse team record.

So, it's impossible for Memphis to "win" the fourth selection if they're, say, the fourteenth-worst team. They can only "win" one of the top three picks...after that, everything is decided by record.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Listen.

This confuses a lot of people.

The lottery determines who gets the TOP THREE PICKS.

All 13 teams that don't make the playoffs will be up for THESE THREE PICKS.

If Memphis wins one of those THREE PICKS, they KEEP IT. That was our deal. We don't get it.

Not this year, at least. It is put off to next year when they only get it if its the #1 pick, I believe. And if it IS the #1 pick in 2005, then we get the pick no matter what in 2006.

The FOURTH pick of the 2004 draft goes to the CHARLOTTE BOBCATS no matter what.

The 5th through 14th picks are based on record, not lotto.

In otherwords, if the Blazers beat the Grizzlies out for the 8th seed on the final day of the season, that would mean that.... either we'd get NO PICK from the Grizzlies or we would get the 14th pick (assuming that the Grizzlies had a better record than all of the East lotto teams).

Does this make sense?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Listen.

This confuses a lot of people.

The lottery determines who gets the TOP THREE PICKS.

All 13 teams that don't make the playoffs will be up for THESE THREE PICKS.

If Memphis wins one of those THREE PICKS, they KEEP IT. That was our deal. We don't get it.

Not this year, at least. It is put off to next year when they only get it if its the #1 pick, I believe. And if it IS the #1 pick in 2005, then we get the pick no matter what in 2006.

The FOURTH pick of the 2004 draft goes to the CHARLOTTE BOBCATS no matter what.

The 5th through 14th picks are based on record, not lotto.

In otherwords, if the Blazers beat the Grizzlies out for the 8th seed on the final day of the season, that would mean that.... either we'd get NO PICK from the Grizzlies or we would get the 14th pick (assuming that the Grizzlies had a better record than all of the East lotto teams).

Does this make sense?
No the stuff u say makes no sense at all, then again, I am drunk! lol But seriously We could get a 8-13th pick, fa rizzle dizzle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.