Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another site. what do ya'll think?

he shoots 46% in wins and 33% in losses.

the Mavs are 34/16 w/Fin in the lineup. thats means the Mavs win at a 68% clip.

the Mavs are 7/6 w/o Fin in the lineup. a 53.8% clip.

thus w/Fin in the lineup for a full season, the Mavs would be on pace for 55.76 wins. w/o they would be on pace for 44.116 wins.

waht does this mean? is this simply a random stat or is Fin key to success?

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
He's pretty important, the Mavericks are like 15-0 when Dirk and Fin score over 20 each

If we want to have a chance at winning the title, Findawg needs to step up. Avery Johnson has got Fin's rebounding up greatly, something like 9.5 rebounds a game since he took over

Also, nice to see you decided to post man :)

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Coming into this thread, my answer was no. Because I am very high on Josh Howard, as well as Marquis Daniels. 2 very good Wing Forwards Dallas has in them, but those are some very interesting stats. I still say not very important though. His leadership is a plus, however.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think Fin has kept his silence due to the following. My guess is that he and Nellie and Fin had one big man crush and he doesn't want him to leave just yet and now he is a bit depressed with his absence IMO. Thus why he has not made a public statement on the coaching change. He better get over this and concentrate on basketball, we cannot afford him to be 'doodling' come playoff time.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I think Finley is still a valuable asset to us on the perimeter, but his value is now starting to slant towards the leadership aspect. He's having his difficulties accepting a diminishing role, but I think once he is "comfortable", stops trying to force his game, then he can be the 15-16 points in 27 minutes, but more importantly a guy who can get in guys faces and have the credibility to do it. With Daniels' emergence and Stackhouse off the bench, I don't think his importance should be measured by points anymore. He needs to become the vocal leader we need late in games, so Avery doesn't have to blow up on the bench for us to get the point.

·
Registered
108 Posts
KentATM said:
I posted this on another site. what do ya'll think?

he shoots 46% in wins and 33% in losses.

the Mavs are 34/16 w/Fin in the lineup. thats means the Mavs win at a 68% clip.

the Mavs are 7/6 w/o Fin in the lineup. a 53.8% clip.

thus w/Fin in the lineup for a full season, the Mavs would be on pace for 55.76 wins. w/o they would be on pace for 44.116 wins.

waht does this mean? is this simply a random stat or is Fin key to success?

KentATM:

These stats for Fin really stand out. We need him to use his leadership to help us move up in the playoffs.
He has impressive stats if that 68% is holding up along with the other stats.
Think they all have to line up for him to be productive.
He will play better on the road this week which we need him to return to the Fin we know. He will be fine as soon as he gets over losing Nellie.
Flame

Reactions: Tersk

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
flamethrower42 said:
KentATM:

These stats for Fin really stand out. We need him to use his leadership to help us move up in the playoffs.
He has impressive stats if that 68% is holding up along with the other stats.
Think they all have to line up for him to be productive.
He will play better on the road this week which we need him to return to the Fin we know. He will be fine as soon as he gets over losing Nellie.
Flame
I was listening to 103.3 FM radio the other day over the internet, for those who don't know it's like a Mavericks station. It was after the KVH trade, and Cuban was on the air justifying it and giving reasons

He then gave a segment on Michael Finley, he said not to worry. The season we went 60-22 (and made it to the WCF) he said that in the month of January Finley shot something like 33% for 14 ppg. Basically, Finley always has had rough patches in his career. We are now even deeper at the 2/3 position then we were then, so we'll pull through it

OT: Welcome Flame! I'm glad my persistance/annoyance finally paid off :) Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Theo! said:
He then gave a segment on Michael Finley, he said not to worry. The season we went 60-22 (and made it to the WCF) he said that in the month of January Finley shot something like 33% for 14 ppg. Basically, Finley always has had rough patches in his career. We are now even deeper at the 2/3 position then we were then, so we'll pull through it

On the surface it looks that simple, but these are two distinctly different circumstances. It wouldn't seem that ackward to say Finley was still in his prime, and was just playing off. He was one of the tri-captains, equal in stature and importance with Nowitzki and Nash.

This time, he's declining, he has two younger swingmen and a capable backup taking his time, and this is clearly Dirk's team. Last time that happened, Fin was just cold. This time, we're basically trying to diminish his role as he grows older, and he isn't responding as well as we like.

They're both mental things, but whereas the first time, it was simply an off type of thing, there's more than sufficient reason to believe that his role with the team is urking him, and it shows on the court.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
_Dre_ said:
This time, he's declining, he has two younger swingmen and a capable backup taking his time, and this is clearly Dirk's team. Last time that happened, Fin was just cold. This time, we're basically trying to diminish his role as he grows older, and he isn't responding as well as we like.
Is that really any different? One time he just played for a while and the other time he just is bad. Theres nothing to be worried about IMO, the main point I was trying to make was that we've put up with crappy play from him before -- why should now be any different?

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Theo! said:
Is that really any different? One time he just played for a while and the other time he just is bad. Theres nothing to be worried about IMO, the main point I was trying to make was that we've put up with crappy play from him before -- why should now be any different?
I realize your point. But it'd be negligent to not take into account his role with the team now, and his role with the team then when looking at his off play over the years.

But I agree, he's coming around gradually anyway, and the playoffs make you raise your game if you have a competitive bone in your body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts