Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
How did it clinch the tie-breaker for the Sixers?

We split the season series with them and we have the better conference record. Which I am pretty sure is the 1st tiebreaker.

From ESPN: Tiebreaker procedure.
Two-Team Tiebreaker
1. Better record in head-to-head games = Tie
2. Higher winning percentage in conference games = Bulls 24-22 - Sixers 19-27
3. Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
4. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in own conference
5. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in opposite conference
6. Higher point differential between points scored and points allowed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/matchups

·
Registered
27 Posts
UMfan83 said:
Well if you listen to the AP and ESPN, it clinched the tie breaker for the Sixers, so that makes it very important.
RagingBulls316 said:
How did it clinch the tie-breaker for the Sixers?

We split the season series with them and we have the better conference record. Which I am pretty sure is the 1st tiebreaker.

From ESPN: Tiebreaker procedure.
Two-Team Tiebreaker
1. Better record in head-to-head games = Tie
2. Higher winning percentage in conference games = Bulls 24-22 - Sixers 19-27
3. Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
4. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in own conference
5. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in opposite conference
6. Higher point differential between points scored and points allowed

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/matchups
UMfan83 said:
Oh I agree, but both the AP and Sportscenter are saying that the Sixers are in the 8th spot and have clinched the tie breaker, which they claim is based on division record.
As I said in the game thread:
mg06 said:
Relax people. BSPN and AP reports are clueless. Division comes before Conference IF AND ONLY IF both teams are in the same division. As it is not the case, the Bulls would have the tiebreaker.

From the NBA media site (login required):

TWO-WAY TIES
  • Results of games against each other.
  • Better winning percentage within own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
  • Better winning percentage within own conference.
  • Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in own conference.
  • Better winning percentage against playoff opponents in opposite conference.
  • Better point differential between offense and defense.

MORE THAN TWO TEAMS TIED
  • If applicable, division champions must be determined first.
  • Best cumulative winning percentage in total games involving all teams tied.
  • Best winning percentage within own division (only if tied teams are in same division).
  • Best winning percentage within own conference.
  • Best winning percentage against playoff opponents in own conference.
  • Best point differential between offense and defense.
:wink:

Reactions: LegoHat

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,077 Posts
I think it'll be close. AI has a tendency to put his team on his shoulders when the playoffs are in sight, and he hasn't done that yet. I expect it to happen sometime soon... we'll see if it's too little too late. He might be getting tired of that act, too.

But this game was more than just playoff implications.

Often times, for teams that have more or less already cemented their playoff seeding, they have "statement games". Like that game a few days ago, Miami vs. Detroit. That was a true statement game, a game where the Heat could have come out and showed the world that they could hang with the Pistons. Instead, they came out lifeless and playing terrible defense.

Even though we have not cemented a playoff seed or even a berth, this was a statement game. Here's why:

1. It would have proven that we are, without a doubt, a better team than the 76ers, especially going into the playoffs. Our team right now is a better team, and the Sixers are a worse one, especially with Webber out tonight. But because we weren't playing with a full roster, and because somehow we're not so good at home, we didn't get it done. However, that leads us to the next point, which I made in the game thread...

2. This was the chance for Tyson Chandler and Ben Gordon, two of our least consistent players, to show that they can step up in dominant fashion when the pressure's on. If the Bulls didn't look at this as a must-win, something was terribly wrong. And if it was a must-win, then Chandler and Gordon should have played with more passion and ignited the offense and defense. Hinrich wasn't 100%, Deng was out, and these two guys along with Nocioni (who's been terrific lately) and Duhon are the guys we really turn to for carrying the load. This was their opportunity to show a new side to the Bulls, a side of toughness and gunning.

Gordon came up with 3 assists and 3 steals, but 9 points on 3-10 shooting and only 3 trips to the FT line. He should become even more of a distributor, although Pargo and Duhon were filling that role, and try to get to the line more often. He didn't pick up real foul trouble until the 4th quarter, it seems, so there's no reason he shouldn't have been playing more minutes and being the focus of the team. Chandler, likewise, was 4 and 10 tonight, with 0 blocks and 0 personal fouls. That's a lack of energy and activity, something that Tyson cannot function without.

Conclusion: This WAS an important game, both for playoff implications and as a statement game.

Reactions: LegoHat

·
Premium Member
3,528 Posts
Well put Showtyme, I agree completely.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Well, the game was important from an educational point of view. Skiles might have learned:

Michael Sweetney is not an NBA center. Dalembert ate him up like a Dunkin donut.

Pargo is not our go-to defensive guy to put on opposition all-star guards. Did Hinrich and Duhon really benefit from all that rest on the bench?

When an important game comes up maybe it would be a good idea to give your best offensive guard and best defensive big man a little playing time before the game is over in the fourth quarter; particularly if they are not in foul trouble.

As good as Nocioni is, it's a bit much to ask him to carry the offense for four quarters. Somebody else has to get open from time to time.

Benny the Bull should not be the guy with the most energy on the court wearing a Bulls uniform after Nocioni.

·
Registered
31,974 Posts
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull091.html

The Bulls and Sixers are now tied for the eighth spot at 35-41, after Philadelphia snapped its three-game losing streak with an 89-75 victory over Scott Skiles' squad in front of a United Center capacity crowd (22,479).

The Bulls, whose 24-22 record against conference teams would give them the tiebreaker over the Sixers (19-27 vs. conference foes) for the final postseason berth, had their four-game win streak snapped.

The two teams split the season series (2-2) making moot the first tiebreaker of head-to-head record. Each team has six games remaining in the regular season.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You know why we lost last night? Because the Sixers had a guys that can fill up a stat sheet. We had guys that can fill up the stat sheets with big fat donuts. Iverson proved why he's that good, and Gordon and Tyson did jack**** about it.

Even Steven Hunter posterized our bigs. I mean, what does it take for these guys to take their head out of their asses and actually play some basketball. Very poor effort if you ask me.

I can't believe we collapsed in yet another important game.

:cry:

When will these guys "get it?" It's so damn disappointing to watch them disappear when an important game is on the line. :(

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Showtyme said:
2. This was the chance for Tyson Chandler and Ben Gordon, two of our least consistent players, to show that they can step up in dominant fashion when the pressure's on. If the Bulls didn't look at this as a must-win, something was terribly wrong. And if it was a must-win, then Chandler and Gordon should have played with more passion and ignited the offense and defense. Hinrich wasn't 100%, Deng was out, and these two guys along with Nocioni (who's been terrific lately) and Duhon are the guys we really turn to for carrying the load. This was their opportunity to show a new side to the Bulls, a side of toughness and gunning.

Gordon came up with 3 assists and 3 steals, but 9 points on 3-10 shooting and only 3 trips to the FT line. He should become even more of a distributor, although Pargo and Duhon were filling that role, and try to get to the line more often. He didn't pick up real foul trouble until the 4th quarter, it seems, so there's no reason he shouldn't have been playing more minutes and being the focus of the team. Chandler, likewise, was 4 and 10 tonight, with 0 blocks and 0 personal fouls. That's a lack of energy and activity, something that Tyson cannot function without.

Conclusion: This WAS an important game, both for playoff implications and as a statement game.
Gordon and Chandler were not in the game when Philly built its lead to 57 - 39 with 9:11 to go in the 3rd quarter. The lead at half-time was only 47 - 37, not great but not out of reach at all.

Our "consistent" players were the ones starting out the half and putting this game out of reach, like ones shooting 2 for ****ing 13, despite being "less than 100%."

I think it's a bit much to expect Chandler and Gordon to pull us out of these 18 point holes every game. I don't think any combination of superstars can do that every game no matter how important it is, especially when they're passing to Eddie Basden, Luke Schenser, Jannero Pargo, and Malik Allen. Skiles was busy teaching our starters some lessons to put them in over these guys.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
McBulls said:
Well, the game was important from an educational point of view. Skiles might have learned:

Michael Sweetney is not an NBA center. Dalembert ate him up like a Dunkin donut.

Pargo is not our go-to defensive guy to put on opposition all-star guards. Did Hinrich and Duhon really benefit from all that rest on the bench?

When an important game comes up maybe it would be a good idea to give your best offensive guard and best defensive big man a little playing time before the game is over in the fourth quarter; particularly if they are not in foul trouble.

As good as Nocioni is, it's a bit much to ask him to carry the offense for four quarters. Somebody else has to get open from time to time.

Benny the Bull should not be the guy with the most energy on the court wearing a Bulls uniform after Nocioni.

very salient points. you were at the game, right? how frustrating it musta been to see pargo (who sucks) get all that burn over gordon.

i don't think they - meaning the team AND skiles responded very well to having to adjust without luol. i also wonder if ben, kirk and possibly duhon were hurting more than they were/are letting on. but no excuses.

it was painful to watch.

and finally, never ever underestimate allen iverson's will to win. all heart.

this may be tough to overcome given new jersey is on their way in on tues. nets simply BLEW it against the cavs yesterday, and they won't lay down for the bulls.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I think Showtyme summed it up pretty nicely. I think we're still in the driver's seat for the last spot in the playoffs considering how both teams have played over the last several weeks and our respective schedules, but this game would've gone a long way in 'legitimizing' our status as a playoff team and would've basically put a dagger in the Sixers, I think. If ever there was a statement game for us this season, it was definitely last night, and we really dropped the ball in that respect.

I'd still give us about a 60% chance of making the playoffs though.

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
Apparently ESPN is using the tiebreakers from when it was 2 divisions per a conference.

Here are the new tiebreakers:

TIEBREAKER BASIS:
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Head-to-head
(2) Conference Record
(3) vs. Teams ultimately at-or-over .500
(4) Head-to-Head cumulative point differential
(5) vCoin toss (tied teams listed alphabetically above)

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
sloth said:
Apparently ESPN is using the tiebreakers from when it was 2 divisions per a conference.

Here are the new tiebreakers:

TIEBREAKER BASIS:
(-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
(1) Head-to-head
(2) Conference Record
(3) vs. Teams ultimately at-or-over .500
(4) Head-to-Head cumulative point differential
(5) vCoin toss (tied teams listed alphabetically above)
Yahoo Sports correctly has the Bulls in 8th right now:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/playoffmatchups;_ylt=At.zehJGF3LB85uBb.QppRC8vLYF

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.