Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are only 5 elite teams now - Pistons, Spurs, Mavs, Pacers, Heat.

1-3 years
4-6 years
over 7 years

Big Z is getting older.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
A year maybe. Just need time to mesh fully and get the system going. I mean, they've only lost 3 games this season, one to the Spurs and the other to the Spurs East, the Pacers. And both of those games were on the road.

I think they may already be an elite team at home. But their youth shows in that they don't bring the same effort on the road yet--though they are talented enough to have that be enough against much of the NBA.

I also don't know that Miami is per se elite. It's not the same team that went to the ECF. They have to grow just like the Cavs, and Shaq is falling apart much faster than Z. At least Z can stay healthy...and whoever thought they'd say that?

I also don't see age really being a huge factor in Z's game. He sat out a good two years with the foot injuries, besides his feet, the rest of his body is rather sprightly. And his game certainly doesn't get a lot from his mobility. Remember Sabonis was able to play well into his 40's. Z barring another foot injury, should be able to at least play out his current contract. The Cavs also have Anderson Verejao who is injured right now, and they drafted a 7 footer in this last draft, who has looked good, though he's probably 2 years away from having an NBA body and being able to contribute. Then of course there's also the drafts they'll have.

The core of the team is very young, with Lebron, Hughes, Gooden, and Verejao, and to some extent Luke Jackson who has looked good defensively this year.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
futuristxen said:
A year maybe. Just need time to mesh fully and get the system going. I mean, they've only lost 3 games this season, one to the Spurs and the other to the Spurs East, the Pacers. And both of those games were on the road.

I think they may already be an elite team at home. But their youth shows in that they don't bring the same effort on the road yet--though they are talented enough to have that be enough against much of the NBA.

I also don't know that Miami is per se elite. It's not the same team that went to the ECF. They have to grow just like the Cavs, and Shaq is falling apart much faster than Z. At least Z can stay healthy...and whoever thought they'd say that?

I also don't see age really being a huge factor in Z's game. He sat out a good two years with the foot injuries, besides his feet, the rest of his body is rather sprightly. And his game certainly doesn't get a lot from his mobility. Remember Sabonis was able to play well into his 40's. Z barring another foot injury, should be able to at least play out his current contract. The Cavs also have Anderson Verejao who is injured right now, and they drafted a 7 footer in this last draft, who has looked good, though he's probably 2 years away from having an NBA body and being able to contribute. Then of course there's also the drafts they'll have.

The core of the team is very young, with Lebron, Hughes, Gooden, and Verejao, and to some extent Luke Jackson who has looked good defensively this year.
I agree with all of this, but for the Cavs to be elite the Pistons and Pacers have to fall off or the Cavs have to be as good as them. I don't see the Cavs being as good as the Pistons or Pacers next season. I could be wrong though. I have loved watching the Cavs this season so far. I also been really impressed with Hughes! :clap: :cheers:

·
Registered
365 Posts
The NBA is all winning in the playoffs and going up another level every year. Make the playoffs, win a round, get to conference finals, win conference finals, go to finals, win finals. I'll consider them elite if they make the east finals and don't get stomped by whoever they run into. Realistically that would be at least two years.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Cavs have been beating up on mediocre teams by large margins. Philly and Memphis were their best wins so far. In games against contenders, they've been smashed both times. Spurs and Pacers both blew the Cavs out.

Cavs have some work to do. They'll achieve great regular season success, but I think they'd get beat in 4 or 5 games against the Spurs, Pacers or Pistons. Getting to the playoffs is a step in itself since they weren't there last year, although with the talent they have, they should atleast make the 2nd round, but obviously it depends on the matchup. I couldn't hold it against them if they take the 5th seed and lose to Indiana in the 1st round.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Cavs are a 2nd tier contender in the East, which is fine because they're young and still developing chemistry and improving from within. If they haven't made strides in two years then I'd start to worry.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Need to start playing more games within that division first before I'm ready to declare anything definitive.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Just have to patient. This team has probably 3 or 4 years to have made a serious push at the title, as they are constituted. Danny Ferry just got there, and he's already improved the team greatly. Mike Brown seems like a fantastic young coach. They just need time to set up shop.

Interestingly, the Cavs were a lot closer to the Spurs than they were to the Pacers.

I agree with HKF though, we need to see this team play more games against its division. I think most of those games are in the second half of the season. Which is probably for the best.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
futuristxen said:
Just have to patient. This team has probably 3 or 4 years to have made a serious push at the title, as they are constituted. Danny Ferry just got there, and he's already improved the team greatly. Mike Brown seems like a fantastic young coach. They just need time to set up shop.

Interestingly, the Cavs were a lot closer to the Spurs than they were to the Pacers.

I agree with HKF though, we need to see this team play more games against its division. I think most of those games are in the second half of the season. Which is probably for the best.
a bulls fan who's in love with Lebron or

a cavs fan that likes to discuss eddy curry?

which one are you???

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Need a real PG for the Cavs to be an elite team. Snow is just atrocious on offense while Jones is atrocious on defense. At the other positions they are as solid as anybody but almost every team even the lottery ones have a big big edge at the PG spot

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
they need more defensive stoppers who can hit a 3 once in a while

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
tone wone said:
a bulls fan who's in love with Lebron or

a cavs fan that likes to discuss eddy curry?

which one are you???

I'm through with the Bulls. I stuck with them my whole life up until this year. I just can't support a team made up of players I hated in college, run by a GM who runs his team like an Orwell novel, and an owner who refuses to pay like he a major media market. You could put the Bulls in Atlanta and they'd be the same franchise.

And as far as the Cavs, I'm only a Cavs fan because of Lebron. I started watching him in high school, and I know I'm seeing greatness so I refuse to miss a game.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
elite teams are great offensive teams as well as being great defensive teams. they can adapt to play your style and beat you at it.

of those 5 teams listed the spurs and pistons are still a little ahead of the rest, and they can slow it down and beat you, or run all over you. on top of that if they aren't scoring efficiently, they will disrupt your offense enough to give them a chance to win.

the cavs must be able to do this to be elite.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Tragedy said:
elite teams are great offensive teams as well as being great defensive teams. they can adapt to play your style and beat you at it.

of those 5 teams listed the spurs and pistons are still a little ahead of the rest, and they can slow it down and beat you, or run all over you. on top of that if they aren't scoring efficiently, they will disrupt your offense enough to give them a chance to win.

the cavs must be able to do this to be elite.
The Cavs can kind of do those things. They beat the Sixers by outscoring them. And they beat the Magic in a slowdown slugfest.

But that's the Sixers(who are underrated) and the Magic(who aren't)--the trick is doing that against the top teams.

I don't expect anyone to call the Cavs elite this season. And next season if they do it will be because they were a suprise in the playoffs.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
if they can maybe get Radmanovich before the deadline i will consider them a serious contender... Radmonovich wants to leave Seattle and will give the Cavs good 3 point shooting...

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
siK_sTyLeZz said:
if they can maybe get Radmanovich before the deadline i will consider them a serious contender... Radmonovich wants to leave Seattle and will give the Cavs good 3 point shooting...
Where and when would Radmonovich play? He kind of plays the small forward position. Check the minutes of Lebron's backup at the position.

Also Vlad doesn't play defense, so it doesn't address any real need. Luke Jackson can shoot the 3 too, but he also, suprisingly, can play defense.

A better move would be to move Snow for Speedy Claxton. The Cavs are getting killed by speedy point guards. Speedy would at least begin to address that problem. Earl Watson would be another option.

But what they'll probably do is try and pick somebody up through the draft. Ferry has a good eye for talent, especially international talent, having worked with the Spurs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts