Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

How many points will Eddy Curry average this year?

  • 6-7 points

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 8-9 points

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-11 points

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12-13 points

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • 14-15 points

    Votes: 7 8.0%
  • 16-17 points

    Votes: 16 18.4%
  • 18-19 points

    Votes: 33 37.9%
  • 20-21 points

    Votes: 17 19.5%
  • 22-23 points

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • 24-25 points

    Votes: 3 3.4%

  • Total voters
    87
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is inspired by DaBullz' predictions post which asks who will lead the team in scoring. Most people are predicting Eddy so far. I just wanted to get a pulse on what the board thinks Eddy will do as of right now.

Just a note on my options: these polls are often presented with only optimistic options. I'm trying to account for just about any possibility. The poll itself should not shape your opinion.

I apologize in advance if anyone thinks Eddy will score less than 6 or more than 25 points this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,925 Posts
I think Eddys development from last season to this upcoming season is probably greater than any other offseason hes had while in the league. He is in good shape now, and seems to be headed in the right direction with his attitude, its amazing what surrounding him with no nonsense players can do.

Eddy being in shape is also important because he wont foul because of fatigue, and he'll be on the floor more.

I voted 22-23. It changes a lot though, if you asked me in a couple days, I might say 19. I'd consistently say anywhere from 18-23 though.
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Breakout season: 19.2 ppg, 9.1 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.75 bpg, 50% FG.

This is assuming:

1) No injuries
2) Under 600 lbs
3) No other weird scenarios

JTCK, this will be the year your Bulls finally do something really exciting since 98. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
JTCK, this will be the year your Bulls finally do something really exciting since 98. :)
Yes sir, I'm really excited. :D

I feel much more comfortable relying on hard working talents like Hinrich, Nocioni, Gordon and Deng than I do relying on laid back talents like Crawford and Curry in the past. Getting a healthy and rejuvenated Chandler back doesnt hurt either.

I really think theres a lot of hunger in the Bulls team we have now, which will go a long way, imo.
 

·
That'll do Pigley...
Joined
·
51,262 Posts
His points up, but his rebounds still pathetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,975 Posts
16-17

Curry still can't score against a triple team, and he's not shown the ability to pass out of one.

There's a pattern with Curry that we've all seen too many times. He comes out HOT in a game and opponents adjust by clogging the lane. He is relatively easy to shut down.

In order for Curry to get more points, he's simply gotten more minutes. He hasn't become more efficient.

Curry + Chandler is a defensive disaster, especially when our guards are both small, too. If Chandler is healthy, I bet we see more of AD + Chandler than we hope to see. Plus, if we're getting pounded on the boards, I expect to see Curry on the bench for a real rebounder to get minutes.
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!
Curry still can't score against a triple team, and he's not shown the ability to pass out of one.
I think this is a funny sentence. Those who score more than 16-17 points a game don't usually do it by scoring against triple teams. Passing out of a triple team isn't THAT hard; it's something that Curry could learn.



"Eddy, when you three guys that aren't wearing jerseys that say CHICAGO on them, just listen for someone's voice saying 'POP IT OUT' and then throw it in that general direction. If there's three guys guarding you, that means there's two guys completely open and they'll come to you. Okay? Unless you can go up for a mighty dunk and destroy everyone nearby you with some thunder, try and give it to one of the wide-open guys.

Remember, you're a big boy now."

"Okay."

"And what do big boys do?"

"They pass the ball."

"Good boy. Here's eleven french fries. Eat them slowly."

"Oooh, a carb."



And really, are teams going to collapse into triple teams on Eddy Curry that often? If Gordon and Hinrich and Pike can spread the floor with range and shooting, they'll be much more hesitant to gang up the zone on our doughboy.

16-17 ppg isn't bad, but I'm pretty sure that Jermaine, Kenyon, Pau, Webber, Brand aren't scoring so much contingent on their abilities to pass out or score on triple teams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>toros_locos</b>!
i chose 18-19 ppg

01-02 6,7
02-03 10,5 +4,2
03-04 14,7 +3,8
04-05 18,5 +4,2
It looks like a linear increase at the rate of around 4 pts per season. So according to the statistics, Curry will average around 22 ppg. That's not bad for a 22 year old Center. I think Duncan averaged the same thing when he first came to the league. :)
 

·
X-Mas Taker
Joined
·
8,947 Posts
i say 18.5 with 8.5 boards 53% fg shooting , he is still a finisher more than anything else he is not yet someone you can pass the ball to and run an offense because he still cant pass effectively
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!


It looks like a linear increase at the rate of around 4 pts per season. So according to the statistics, Curry will average around 22 ppg. That's not bad for a 22 year old Center. I think Duncan averaged the same thing when he first came to the league. :)
So when he's 25, he'll be averaging 34 ppg, and when he's 28, 46.

And when he's 62 years old, we should be looking at 182 ppg. =)

Just kidding. But honestly, we'll see that plateau because his minutes will plateau. His stats haven't been going up because of his own personal improvement, necessarily, but rather because he's getting more pt. Now is the time to really set the learning curve, to see how much more damage he can do this year while getting similar minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
I am not sure how much Curry will score. But until he learns to pass effectively out of double teams, he will not help the Bulls win basketball games.

With his conditioning problems being front and center, I worry that the needed skill development is yet another year away, meaning that Paxson is going to have to make an up or down decision on Curry without really knowing whether he eventually will be able to help the Bulls win basketball games.

I think there is a decent chance that Curry plays this year like Zack Randolph or Amare Stoudemire - producing great glory stats but not being the kind of player that helps his team win when he is in the game.

And that may be enough to drive his market value way above what he is really worth. Under that scenario, the best strategy may be to hold on to Curry until the trade deadline, watch his value grow, and then trade him to the highest bidder.

And DaBullz is right that his increased points per game have mostly been because of increased minutes. He is unlikely to get a huge minutes increase this season.

But possibly Curry has been working on skill development (especially passing skills) this summer and will be more than just a stats-sheet wonder. If Curry could reach the point of helping the Bulls win as much as Crawford did last season, that would be a major accomplishment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dan Rosenbaum</b>!
I think there is a decent chance that Curry plays this year like Zack Randolph or Amare Stoudemire - producing great glory stats but not being the kind of player that helps his team win when he is in the game.

And that may be enough to drive his market value way above what he is really worth. Under that scenario, the best strategy may be to hold on to Curry until the trade deadline, watch his value grow, and then trade him to the highest bidder.
At some point, you have to pay your young guys. If Curry reaches Zach Randolph or Amare Stoudemire levels as a 22 yr basketball player, I would argue that he needs to get paid. By the Bulls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!
At some point, you have to pay your young guys. If Curry reaches Zach Randolph or Amare Stoudemire levels as a 22 yr basketball player, I would argue that he needs to get paid. By the Bulls.
But anyone who makes this argument should eat any cross words they had for Crawford, because he had a more positive influence on the Bulls than either of these players had on their teams. Leaping to Crawford's level would be a leap well past the performances of Randolph and Stoudemire last season.

Scorers like Randolph, Stoudemire, and Curry who can't (or won't) pass are death to their teams' winning chances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dan Rosenbaum</b>!

But anyone who makes this argument should eat any cross words they had for Crawford, because he had a more positive influence on the Bulls than either of these players had on their teams. Leaping to Crawford's level would be a leap well past the performances of Randolph and Stoudemire last season.

Scorers like Randolph, Stoudemire, and Curry who can't (or won't) pass are death to their teams' winning chances.
I'm not sure how you arrive at this assertion. If you're stating that Jamal Crawford had the most positive influence on the Bulls winning games, wouldn't it also stand to reason that he also had the greatest negative influence also? On a 23 win team does any player/players deserve such a statement? If Crawford had his magical hand in winning 23 games, did he at all contribute to 59 losses?

In the grand scheme of things, a 6'11" flawed player who still shoots at 50+% is going to be more valuable than a 6'5" flawed player who shoots at around 38%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,963 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top