Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
On a relevant note, I will confess to having seen little of Murray. Anyone with a more informed perspective than mine care to venture an opinion about his functional role in the NBA?

The fact that he's billed as a combo guard coming out of the draft suggests to me he's likely to wind up as a Ben Gordon-like tweener who doesn't quite have the size or athleticism to defend the 2 position nor the playmaking abilities and instincts to man the 1. A handful of players manage to transcend the "combo" tag and thrive at PG (Westbrook, Curry), but most don't.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
I watched him at Kentucky and I saw some of his games in the summer league. He can score, and I get why people compare him with Brandon Roy. I don't see him as a point guard, I think he can evolve into a deadly all around scoring threat. He wasn't playing point at Kentucky either.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Murray certainly seems like a MUCH better prospect at this point than Mudiay.

On another note, isn't it crazy that the Nuggets could generate this type of spirited conversation just a few short months ago? That password snafu really was the last nail in the coffin for this place.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
So if you were to list their best assets, how would you order them?

1) Jokic
2) Jamal Murray
3) Mudiay
4) Faried?
5) Nurkic??
6) Gary Harris???
7) Will Barton????

It is well within the realm of possibility that not a single one of those players will ever start for a 55-win Nuggets team. I definitely see them as still being in the early stages of a rebuild.

They have their own pick and also Memphis' pick this coming season. I would imagine this team is going to finish somewhere between 28 and 38 wins this year. So their pick will likely be in the 6-10 range (unless the ping pong balls fall in their favor). The Grizzlies will probably be a bottom 4 playoff team in the West. I would guess the median result for those picks is around 8th and 19th. That's not horrible in a loaded draft, but it's not exactly a guaranteed windfall, either.

I guess the question would be whether they will ever be bad enough to bottom out with all the young talent they already have.

I'm going to predict that their next 50 win season is at least 3 years away if not 4 or 5.
Nurkic is gone now and they had to dump the Grizzlies pick in that deal. So two of their top 10 best assets just disappeared in a trade and got them back a Plumlee. Yikes. #FreeJokic

21 - 24 of 24 Posts