Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some have expressed the opinion that Thorn has hitched his final wagon to Kidd and is hoping that Kidd can lead him to a championship. Personally, I'm very skeptical about building a team around Kidd. Not that I don't believe he isn't a great player, but because I believe his greatest impact on a team is when he first arrives.

Kidd hasn't been anywhere long enough for a team to be built around him, so I'm willing to keep an open mind about the process, but I firmly believe that there has to be a point at which Thorn admits it just won't work and trades Kidd while his value is high.

If the Nets aren't serious title contenders by the end of the 06-07, then Kidd should be traded.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Trading Kidd depends on who you get back? After 2 seasons, if we can't win it, and are still building towards a championship, and we get horrible offers, I'm not in favor of trading Kidd. If the Wolves offered KG for Kidd tomorrow, we'll, I'd take it. Throw our whole MLE at Watson too.

Krstic-KG-RJ-Carter-Watson / Zoran...

That's not gonna happen. But the point is I think his run is over when Thorn gets an offer he likes. If he doesn't 4 years of Kidd, and it would be 4 happy years for me.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I just can't see, nor want to see, Kidd leaving NJ. He's a special player, one of the few real point guards left in the NBA. Why would we trade him? Maybe in a couple years when he's slowed down, but even then, I think management will not take trading Kidd lightly. For a player like Kidd, passing is the most essential part of his game, and even when you're older, it's hard to take that away from you.

Reactions: Anima

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NetIncome said:
Two words: John Stockton.
Perhaps you misunderstood, but no where in my original statement did I say that I expected Kidd to not be able to play at a high level. To make this relate to my original statement, I'll ask the following:

1) Was the Jazz team ever built around John Stockton?
2) Did Stockton ever switch teams?

I believe Kidd's greatest strength is the impact he has on a team when he first arrives. As great as he is, I'm skeptical about the chances to build a championship team around him. Kidd's impact on his teammates isn't as strong for players added to his team as it is when he first arrives at a team.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigThree said:
I just can't see, nor want to see, Kidd leaving NJ. He's a special player, one of the few real point guards left in the NBA. Why would we trade him? Maybe in a couple years when he's slowed down, but even then, I think management will not take trading Kidd lightly. For a player like Kidd, passing is the most essential part of his game, and even when you're older, it's hard to take that away from you.
Kidd is a special talent and I don't believe that his on court ability will decline any appreciable amount during the length of his current contract. My reason for considering trading him in a few years relates to building a championship team. Championship teams aren't just a collection of talent like some fantasy league, but ones that mesh well together (ignoring Kobe & Shaq for the time being).

What Kidd gave the Nets for the past three seasons went beyond his on court play and that is what gave the Nets their edge. I'm very skeptical that other part that Kidd was bringing to the table will ever come back.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
NetIncome said:
That's actually more like 1 word. :D

But yeah, I'd love to see him end his career on high notes and as a Net, but if Thorn were offered a player another impact player, he would have at least some consideration.

-Petey

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I'd hate to see Kidd move on, but I think if Thorn can get a stud PF, a decent 2nd year player with high end and a pick or 2, I think Kidd is as good as gone. He'd have to be blown away to move Kidd this summer.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
As for buildinig around Kidd, I would think he's building a team, rather than circling it around one individual. Is Carter perfect for Kidd? No, obviously not, both need the ball in their hand when they're at their best, but you know what, given their skill sets, they'll make the berst out of it. Carter is not known to run, but can off set the weakness Kidd has in the half court and vice versa. The obvious need now is PF, do we have a choice? Trade or free agent? I think Thorn will put the best team he can on the court, not building around one individual. Is and SAR needed? Is Swift needed, or Evans? Hard to say at this point. GMing is not an easy job, you gotta be on the same page to make a deal work. I'd rather see Thorn ask the coach's to gauge their opinions on who they think will fit the team. Frank knowing SAR will probably love to have SAR. Then boom, get the guy and design a concept offensively and defensively to fit the talent of the players.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
NetIncome said:
I've got to agree w/ you here. I think Kidd, esp. if surrounded w/ young(er) talent like RJ, VC, and Krstic, can keep leading this team through his current contract and perhaps a year or so beyond. His brain and his strength are two of his greatest assets, and neither of those things are going to weaken w/ age.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
cpawfan said:
I believe Kidd's greatest strength is the impact he has on a team when he first arrives. As great as he is, I'm skeptical about the chances to build a championship team around him. Kidd's impact on his teammates isn't as strong for players added to his team as it is when he first arrives at a team.
I think you can definitely build around him. He's high maintenance, no doubt, but he's no spring chicken anymore, and I think he's realized he's got to make what he's got work, because he can't go around starting over again and again and again. There's always going to be trade rumors and unhappiness rumors around him, that's just part of the bargain. But Rod is at the controls, not Kidd. In the past that wasn't the case, and Kidd could manipulate himself out of a situation. Not so much anymore, IMO, both because he's older, and Rod is gonna do what Rod's gonna do no matter what Kidd wants.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SeaNet said:
I think you can definitely build around him. He's high maintenance, no doubt, but he's no spring chicken anymore, and I think he's realized he's got to make what he's got work, because he can't go around starting over again and again and again. There's always going to be trade rumors and unhappiness rumors around him, that's just part of the bargain. But Rod is at the controls, not Kidd. In the past that wasn't the case, and Kidd could manipulate himself out of a situation. Not so much anymore, IMO, both because he's older, and Rod is gonna do what Rod's gonna do no matter what Kidd wants.
I don't care about the rumor or Kidd's unhappiness, as long as he is Net, I expect him to play well. Granted, when he was younger, he did shut it down on the Mavs to force a trade, but hopefully he has grown since then.

Kidd has 4 more seasons on his contract with the Nets, of those 4 years, how many are you willing to accept as building years? My thought is that if after 2 more seasons the Nets aren't a serious title contender, then moving Kidd for a new approach is the way to go.

·
Registered
668 Posts
cpawfan said:
I know that some have expressed the opinion that Thorn has hitched his final wagon to Kidd and is hoping that Kidd can lead him to a championship. Personally, I'm very skeptical about building a team around Kidd. Not that I don't believe he isn't a great player, but because I believe his greatest impact on a team is when he first arrives.

Kidd hasn't been anywhere long enough for a team to be built around him, so I'm willing to keep an open mind about the process, but I firmly believe that there has to be a point at which Thorn admits it just won't work and trades Kidd while his value is high.

If the Nets aren't serious title contenders by the end of the 06-07, then Kidd should be traded.
You make me so angry. When's the last time you watched a Net game? You say ridiculous things like, "so and so must be traded", but in reality, do you even watch the games? How can you say these things? This is such nonsense. It would have to depend on what we would get in return. If it's not equal value, then he will remain a Net, to your horror. I think he will retire as a Net.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
cpawfan said:
Kidd has 4 more seasons on his contract with the Nets, of those 4 years, how many are you willing to accept as building years? My thought is that if after 2 more seasons the Nets aren't a serious title contender, then moving Kidd for a new approach is the way to go.

Oh, OK, I see what you are saying now. You've definitely got a point. If you aren't going anywhere after 2 more seasons go by, yeah, I would think about trading Kidd, for his and the team's benefit. It also depends on what kind of resources you've got at that point. Did you draft some young guys who you think might be able to make a big leap forward in the next couple of years? That sort of thing. IMO, you hold onto Kidd until it becomes clear that you aren't going to get back to the Finals w/ him, even if that's until the end of his contract

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
kiddisanet said:
You make me so angry. When's the last time you watched a Net game? You say ridiculous things like, "so and so must be traded", but in reality, do you even watch the games? How can you say these things? This is such nonsense. It would have to depend on what we would get in return. If it's not equal value, then he will remain a Net, to your horror. I think he will retire as a Net.
Please explain what how many games I have watched this year have to do with the end of the 06-07 season. I realize that your world is wrapped up in Kidd being a member of the New Jersey Nets, but it is obvious from your response that you completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
kiddisanet said:
After reading your commentary during games on nj.com, I think you should stop using this argument as something to degrade the opinions of others. One can watch a game and still see very little.

·
Registered
668 Posts
SeaNet said:
After reading your commentary during games on nj.com, I think you should stop using this argument as something to degrade the opinions of others. One can watch a game and still see very little.

What commentary?!? I have never provided real commentary on that board in my life.

·
Registered
668 Posts
cpawfan said:
Please explain what how many games I have watched this year have to do with the end of the 06-07 season. I realize that your world is wrapped up in Kidd being a member of the New Jersey Nets, but it is obvious from your response that you completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.
How can you determine when someone should be traded when you aren't even watching????? That is all I was saying. If you aren't going to be watching in 07, then how they heck could you determine that Kidd needs to go?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts