Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kevin Garnett agreed with some postgame sentiment late Tuesday that this group of Wolves needs more playing time together, probably a training camp. But Garnett wasn't about to leave it at that.

"But you've got to add some pieces onto it too, man," he said. "You just can't bring this team back. You've got to add some major pieces to it, and I think we'll be very solid for next year."

Moments later, he added: "You have to add pieces to a team and keep a core together. We've yet to have a core. I'm probably the only consistent thing that's been around here. ... I feel like the city doesn't really know the team. Hopefully, they'll take heed to what happened this year and fix that this summer."

It's the same song from KG every year, why doesn't HE step it up?

21 and 12 isn't bad, it shouldn't have been good enough to make an all-star team this year (not over Melo), but if he were even 23 and 12 (considering their PPG vs. opp PPG is barely over a 1 point difference), maybe these guys would be better off.

KG's a great player, but he's just that, a great player, not a winner, and I'm not going to question his work ethic or his talent, but after all these years, we have heard the same thing from him, and that is it's his supporting cast, not him, with what they have, I don't know what he expects them to get.

Minnesota should move on this summer, trade him and go another direction, it's not like they're a playoff team anymore.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I dont know....why dont you tell me how many times he's said this.

since you have all the answers, smart guy

Reactions: sMaK

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
His numbers have been declining a bit over the past few seasons and he turns 30 this year. Also he made the jump from high school to the pros so he's something like a 10year vet. But don't get me wrong... i'm not saying that he's on the downswing in any way, shape or form. I honestly think that he's just losing his fire. By that i mean that he's playing with the belief that his team can't compete for a championship and by this time in his career that should be the biggest motivator for a player of his talent level. If a player like Garnett doesnt think he has a shot at the prize, then i dont think he can mentally come out at peak playing level.

When he was younger he was playing for respect. After he was already deemed legit then he was playing for accolades and for fun and competition. Then he hit that stretch where a championship was a possibility. But now that "Garnett" and "championship" aren't even mentioned in the same breath i would think that it's hard for him to really go out and compete at the high level that he's capable of. Sure, he puts up better-than-average numbers night after night. But without the hope of getting a ring it's like driving 100mph into a brick wall.

Garnett needs a change and Minnesota needs a change as well.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
27,987 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but with KG's contract, there's a very limited amount of teams he can go to and not have the same problems he's having in Minnesota.

Most teams would have to trade so many pieces to match salary, that the core would likely just be KG, a mid-upper-level wing player/point guard and trash in the paint.

He's almost 30 years old, and he's played a ton of games. He's in fantastic shape, but I wouldn't be surprised to see those numbers he's putting up this year to stay pretty much where they are.

·
OG
1,726 Posts
And every year, KG is right. The Wolves don't have any other talent besides KG (lol if you mention ricky davis). Most players who have had supressed careers were plagued by injuries. KG has always played stellar games on a crappy team. I wonder how much better this guy would've been with a better supporting cast. Minnesota...TRADE HIM U ****S!

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
Even though he is getting older, I could see KG's numbers go up if he actually has a reason to play. KG and Minnesota's fans have pleaded with the organization year after year for complementary players for Garnett and, with the exception of one decent year, have been disappointed. I sorely hope that KG is traded to a decent team so he has the chance to win and enjoy basketball again.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
He is the past the point of excuses at this point, because we're way past the stage where he would be frowned upon for demanding trade. If he demanded trade, most people would be thinking that it's about damn time. If he chooses to stick it out in Minnesota, nobody is going to feel for him. We've all done enough of that in the past five years. Deal with it already if it eats at you as much as you claim it does.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Definitely KG's fault he's not won more. After all, it was him who lost those four first round draft picks during the prime of his career and then spent the one he had left on Ndui Ebi (following up on some of his previous first round gems like Paul Grant and William Avery). I wish he'd shut up about this "adding pieces" stuff. Trying to lay the responsibilty for all that on someone else...what a whiner. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
They ruined a lot of his prime years because they wanted to give JOE FREAKIN SMITH money under the table(I mean he ok but not worth like 4-5 1st rounders, which was the penalty) they had no chance at adding young players to get better for a little while.

·
Mammal
2,278 Posts
Chalie Boy said:
They ruined a lot of his prime years because they wanted to give JOE FREAKIN SMITH money under the table(I mean he ok but not worth like 4-5 1st rounders, which was the penalty) they had no chance at adding young players to get better for a little while.
1. Don't diss Joe.
2. What about letting half the team walk away? Doesn't that factor in somewhere?

·
Kardashian Cursed
12,416 Posts
I’m so sick and tired of people saying KG needs to "step his game up"
For gods sake people, he has put up 20/10/5/2 for like what 6 or 7 seasons straight? Name ONE player in the modern era to do that for as long as he has? He is single handedly taking the wolves anywhere. They have been constantly overachieved their last 8 years. They made it into the playoffs for one reason and one reason alone. KG. Without him they would have been in the lottery EVERY SINGLE SEASON

I guarantee KG is only saying "maybe next year" because that all he ever as to hope for now with the wolves. Until he gets out of Minny, and starts winning some playoff games, or rings, most of you KG haters will hop on the "KG is awesome yeah!!" bandwagon only to bring him down just as fast as you got on when he gets to the end of his career.

Some people just obviously have NO appreciation for talent, skill, athleticism. Just what the analysts from ESPN tell you who to like...

I mean, what more does the guy need to do!?!?
Letys go back 10 years and swap the roles of Duncan/KG and see who has so many rings..Would TD get the hate KG gets? Come on...

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
ssmokinjoe said:
By that i mean that he's playing with the belief that his team can't compete for a championship and by this time in his career that should be the biggest motivator for a player of his talent level. If a player like Garnett doesnt think he has a shot at the prize, then i dont think he can mentally come out at peak playing level.
Not long ago when getting questions about the bad season he said something to the effect of "what are you going to be saying next season when we're contending for a title?" And he has always been on top of the game mentally, I'm not sure how anybody can question that.

·
Registered
690 Posts
How much more effort can Kg put into this season ? They are away from Play off , he has to have his time. Even if we are talking about the decrease in numberd, he is still 20 -10- 5 something like that , this notting to do with Kg I feel. If Minnesota has a better squad , we will not be talking about that right know , this is also something to do Minnesota Gm, and that respectable CAsey , letting go Cassell , Wally letting the team be in such a position. last of all , it is very normal for him to lose his motivation , hope in such a situation.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
thing is he's exactly right... im pretty sure the only person who has been on this team for more than 2 seasons with KG is hudson, and possibly madsen. which isnt exactly a 'core' of players.
the problem is to get better next season they are again going to have to change personel, in which case it better be done in the offseason to give them the entire season to play together

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I don't feel bad for KG anymore. He plays great, but he isn't a #1 option. He's best to be a #2 but he never asks for a trade. It's awesome to see someone loyal for once, but enough is enough. Ask to get out already.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
kawika said:
Definitely KG's fault he's not won more. After all, it was him who lost those four first round draft picks during the prime of his career and then spent the one he had left on Ndui Ebi (following up on some of his previous first round gems like Paul Grant and William Avery). I wish he'd shut up about this "adding pieces" stuff. Trying to lay the responsibilty for all that on someone else...what a whiner. :rolleyes:
I agree. Garnett needs to learn how to assemble teams better or shut up. Not committing salary cap violations in order to sign guys like Joe Smith would be advisable, Kev.

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
#2 option?? u can not be serious.
theres what, 5 players maybe who KG would be the number 2 option to in the league??
"hey mchale, trade me to the cavs so i can play with lebron" ???
not gonna happen, kg can be the leader of a championship caliber team , as he was close to doing a couple of years ago. he just needs a strong supporting cast, like duncan, wade, nash etc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.