Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think he's only got a year or two left on his contract after this one. If Kobe decides to leave after this season, I'd shift into rebuilding mode if I were the Lakers. Since Malone and Payton are still under contract I'd try to add some more veterans for one last title run. I doubt it will happen but I think we owe it to all of the veterans on the team to make one last run at a championship. After that, let everyone who is older walk. Don't even trade them because I don't want to take back bad contracts. Shaq will only have a year left on his contract so there's no need to do anything drastic. He's probably going to retire after his contract is up anyway. I sure as hell don't want to sign him to a contract extension. He started breaking down 2 years ago and his durability has steadily gotten worse. There is no way that his body is going to hold up through another contract. In a few years we'll have all of the cap room in the world. Hopefully, we'll prove to be more attractive than Chicago is right now. Here are the list of guys coming off the books in the next 3 years:

Rush-3 yrs left
Cook-3 yrs left
Fisher-2 yrs left
Shaq-1 or 2 yrs remaining
Fox-1 or 2 yrs left
Payton-1 yr remaining
Malone-1 yr remaining
Walton-1 yr remaining
Medvedenko-gone after this season
Grant-gone after this season
Russell-gone after this season
Sampson-gone after this season
Kobe-opting out

Look at our team in 3 years. Only Rush and Cook will still be here. Everyone else is gone. We'll have all of the cap room in the world. Hopefully, we'll be able to run off another 3 peat. Just don't re-sign any of the role players to extensions. Look at how they are performing right now. Trust me, it will be worse in 2-3 years.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
This could be the lineup in a few years

PG - Frank Williams
SG - Kareem Rush
SF - Luke Walton
PF - Brian Cook
C - Masmaea Keapowk23a

I'm sure as heck that wont be the lineup but who knows.. Get ready guys.. It's gonna be like the Bulls last few years.. Rebuilding process...

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Shaq's contract expires in 2007. And he has over 40 million coming in the 06-07 season.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
The post-Magic Lakers sucked because what happened with that team was unexpected (mainly Magic´s HIV), so it took a long time to rebuild the franchise back to a contending status.

I don´t see the Lakers becoming Chicago after Shaq retires and Kobe leaves (if he leaves).

LA should have plenty of cap room and it´s a hell of a place to play.

I wouldn´t be surprised to even see LBJ with the purple-and-yellow in a few years...

We will be allright.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
This talk of rebuilding means nothing if Kobe stays. If Kobe stays the Lakers don't have to worry about more than just surrounding Kobe with a few good role players or a couple elite players. Assuming the Lakers have a good coach (or Phil), then they're title contenders once again, even if Shaq is still a Laker and old.

No one knows what will happen if Kobe leaves, it's almost pointless to speculate because the Lakers could always do a sign and trade for a great player.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!

My bad, I could of sworn he signed a 4 year extension.
No, he wanted to for some ridiculous amount of money, but Buss didn't sign him to one.

I wish Shaq could be more of a team player and not ask for so much damn money, it really hurts the structure of the team.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts