Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With TOT and MacDonald already out. Rumors that Leckie is done. Add to that better than a 50-50 shot Gonzo gets a well deserved promotion to a big time job, and who knows if Ruland will survive the latest scandal at Iona? Also will Rider retain Dempsey? Who according to Ryder’s preeminent fan raver did a horrible job coaching at Ryder last season. Also heard rumors that if Brusier Flint gets the Temple job matt Brady might be interested in Drexal. We could conceivably have 7 new coaches in the MAAC next season.

My guess is that in addition to the 2 confirmed casualties, Gonzo get promoted, Leckie retires and Ruland and Dempsey returns next season. Still 4 openings in a year is quite a bit

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good question. I just posted something similar on the Fairfield board. We may very well see some serious coaching action in the MAAC this year. I agree that Dempsey stays. I think Brady stays as well. With rumors that the Seton Hall gig may be opening up, does Gonzo go there? Ruland goes nowhere, Leckie stays for another year or so. So, aside from McDonald and TOT, I think you can add an opening at Manhattan in the offseason as well....

·
Registered
672 Posts
Gonzo isn't going anywhere, look at the squad the Jaspers will put on the court next year, the best shooting guard, the best big man and the best all around player. Every year people say this is the year Gonzo leaves, he isn't leaving for just any job, it has to be the perfect fit, and that job isn't opening up this year. and if you want to get into hypothetical's if the manhattan job does open up coaches will line up around the corner to get that, knowing they have a team ready to Win big.

Youd think after 7 years of having the conversation that gonzo is leaving it would be old, and youd just wait untill something actually remotely close happened.

and also weren't the Siena fans the ones who said when Bobby just signed the Big extension that it really didn't matter and he could get out of it?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
svi said:
Gonzo isn't going anywhere, look at the squad the Jaspers will put on the court next year, the best shooting guard, the best big man and the best all around player. Every year people say this is the year Gonzo leaves, he isn't leaving for just any job, it has to be the perfect fit, and that job isn't opening up this year. and if you want to get into hypothetical's if the manhattan job does open up coaches will line up around the corner to get that, knowing they have a team ready to Win big.

Youd think after 7 years of having the conversation that gonzo is leaving it would be old, and youd just wait untill something actually remotely close happened.

and also weren't the Siena fans the ones who said when Bobby just signed the Big extension that it really didn't matter and he could get out of it?
He's waiting for the opportunity to coach "the right fit". What that is - i don't know. But it's not Seton Hall. We'll see what opens up on the east coast this spring.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SVI I’m not attacking Gonzo or Manhattan when I speculate that Gonzo might get promoted. Bobby might have done his best coaching ever this year. And don’t talk like Bobby has had offers from BCS teams in the past. That’s the reason why he is still at Manhattan. And to Manhattan’s credit they stepped up to the plate a few years ago and gave gonzo a nice raise to stop him from going to any other mid major or A10 type job

Do you think for a second if Seton hall ( or any other BCS league team) says Bobby we want you and we will pay you 500k to 750K , that Gonzo won’t be gone in a second? And that’s not a knock on Manhattan, that’s the way the game is played. Actually considering how good Bobby's record is it amazing he's still at Manhattan

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
SienaTony said:
SVI I’m not attacking Gonzo or Manhattan when I speculate that Gonzo might get promoted. Bobby might have done his best coaching ever this year. And don’t talk like Bobby has had offers from BCS teams in the past. That’s the reason why he is still at Manhattan. And to Manhattan’s credit they stepped up to the plate a few years ago and gave gonzo a nice raise to stop him from going to any other mid major or A10 type job

Do you think for a second if Seton hall ( or any other BCS league team) says Bobby we want you and we will pay you 500k to 750K , that Gonzo won’t be gone in a second? And that’s not a knock on Manhattan, that’s the way the game is played. Actually considering how good Bobby's record is it amazing he's still at Manhattan
I don't see Bobby at Seton Hall. It's not that good of a job. With the guys he has coming back, and the players he has coming in, he could make a real run next year and have even more doors opened up for him. BUT, if the right job for "him" opens up, he's gone.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MCHowie said:
I don't see Bobby at Seton Hall. It's not that good of a job. With the guys he has coming back, and the players he has coming in, he could make a real run next year and have even more doors opened up for him. BUT, if the right job for "him" opens up, he's gone.
C'mon Mchowie do you really think for a second if Gonzo can land a Big East job he isn't gone in a NY minute? Again no knock on Manhattan but any MAAC coach woudl take that opening. It will be a compliment to Manhattan and its program when Bobby gets promoted, he left your program in much better shape than he found it.

Wouldn't you take a job if you could double your pay? Not to mention the prestige of coaching in the Big East conference against some of the best coaches in the land. Every athlete or coach wants to go to the highest level possible

Hey I don't know if Bobby wil get the offer, but you're kidding yourself if you thinks he doesn't take it

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
SienaTony said:
C'mon Mchowie do you really think for a second if Gonzo can land a Big East job he isn't gone in a NY minute? Again no knock on Manhattan but any MAAC coach woudl take that opening. It will be a compliment to Manhattan and its program when Bobby gets promoted, he left your program in much better shape than he found it.

Wouldn't you take a job if you could double your pay? Not to mention the prestige of coaching in the Big East conference against some of the best coaches in the land. Every athlete or coach wants to go to the highest level possible

Hey I don't know if Bobby wil get the offer, but you're kidding yourself if you thinks he doesn't take it
My opinion, i believe, he and others view SHU as a place where you can't succeed. Why go there and bomb in 4 years - when you can hold tight, work hard at Manhattan, and bide your time till the right spot opens up "for him". Now, if you are going to ask me what is right for him - I don't know, you will have to go ask cricket :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Im just saying its always the annual where is gonzo going, and thats the point, he isn't going to the A 10 or some other higher mid major, he is waiting for the right offer, and he will get it one day, but this isn't the year. Also i agree that he did his best coaching job this year, he really grew up and did a great job, if you notice i have always been a critic of his coaching style till just recently, however his recruiting is just top notch, and leaves nothing but wondering who the next 2 ships are going to, maybe a big time transfer?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
SienaTony said:

As bobby said, he picked up the program with Durrelle Brown and a bag of balls.

I believe i have the quote right.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
svi said:
His dream job is Maryland, maybe after another dismal year they will Fire Williams and he can go coach there.
The guy won a national championship just a few years ago, unless he retires.................

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I think if Seton Hall offers he would acecpt. I also think Seton Hall would be dumb not to offer. It's tough playing the waiting game...Say he waits and CJ doesn't come back. They're good, but not that good next year, and he doesn't get the big offers. Now what.

Seton Hall is not St John's, but it's close enough and the money would be way more than what a MAAC school could afford. I'm w/ Tony. Bobby has done more than his fair share at Manhattan, and becuase the program has been a hotbed of sorts over the last 15-20 years, they wouldn't have a big problem finding a capable replacement.

If he waits, and I hope he does, then I think he'd be a lock for the Providence gig next year if Welsh can't get them to the Big East Tournament, or some other east coast jobs.

·
Registered
688 Posts
svi said:
2 ships left

Minor, Wingate, Kono, Mihai

A better offseason question is what happens with Iona, Has Ruland crossed the line??
Yeah! Jeff has crossed the line. He has/will graduate his entire senior class! And from everything I read, he has an excellent group of students coming in. They can also play basketball. AS for the other line - I wish Jeff did not call Doyel a moron, even though he seems to be one. Doyel certainly is not a journalist.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
St. Louis Gael said:
AS for the other line - I wish Jeff did not call Doyel a moron, even though he seems to be one. Doyel certainly is not a journalist.
The primary reason the Iowa State coach (who was 59-33 in 3 years w/ 2 trips to the postseason and 1 to the 2nd round of the NCAAs) got fired was because of the non-journalist.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.