Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
With a full season from Kidd, RJ and Carter I think we are a 50+ win team. With the right PF I think we have as good a shot at a championship as anyone.

Right now, after the Carter trade, and season ticket sales high, I think Ratner will do the right thing and spend this offseason.

-Petey

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Looks like he's doing the right thing so far amending his mistakes.
Well, I still won't say I fully trust him ... it's still a business isn't it ?

We'll see during draft day if he'll continue this trend. My eyes will be watching him.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Nets will improve because it's unlikely for us to have that much turmoil and injuries again. Just a fairly healthy team will dramatically improve our chances of making it back to the Finals.

That said, I'll be surprised if Kidd isn't traded this summer. If we get the right pieces in a trade, we'll also make it back to the Finals. Carter, RJ and Krstic are a young and very solid core to work with. While Kidd was essential in the past, I think we'll do fine without him as long as we can get value back in a trade.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
njnets06 said:
The Nets will improve because it's unlikely for us to have that much turmoil and injuries again. Just a fairly healthy team will dramatically improve our chances of making it back to the Finals.

That said, I'll be surprised if Kidd isn't traded this summer. If we get the right pieces in a trade, we'll also make it back to the Finals. Carter, RJ and Krstic are a young and very solid core to work with. While Kidd was essential in the past, I think we'll do fine without him as long as we can get value back in a trade.
Welcome to the board njnets06!

If Kidd is trade, I'd love to see either Bibby or KG brought to NJ. I think either would play really well with Carter and RJ.

-Petey

·
Registered
609 Posts
Although Ratner is the principal owner, i don't believe he owns that much of the nets?

Does anyone have the breakdown of nets ownership?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks Petey,

Been lurking on and off for a couple of years, but since the 'other' board deleted multiple 'innocent' posts of mine and temporarily closed my handle, I'll start to post here.

As for KG, nice wish, but only way I see TWolves saying yes is for Kidd, Krstic and both #1s. Next year would be great, but in 2/3 years, we might regret that trade.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
That would be a tough trade for alot of fans to swallow, but if we could get something done where we part with Kidd, Collins and both of our 1st, without having to give up Krstic... look out.

Too bad the little guys like Mike James, Damon Jones and Maurice Williams are all under contract for next year.

-Petey

·
Registered
260 Posts
Petey said:
if we could get something done where we part with Kidd, Collins and both of our 1st, without having to give up Krstic... look out.

-Petey
Kidd, Collins and both 1s would be another Rod miracle. Would even add our 07 first round pick. Still think TWolves would be able to get more from another team.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
njnets06, welcome to the official refugee board of nj.com. :cheers:

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
As for trusting the rat. Not yet. I think there's a better than even chance that he'll do the right thing this summer and allow rod to find us some frontcourt help, but the proof's in the pudding. Until I see the results, the rat's on probation.

·
Registered
260 Posts
SeaNet said:
As for trusting the rat. Not yet. I think there's a better than even chance that he'll do the right thing this summer and allow rod to find us some frontcourt help, but the proof's in the pudding. Until I see the results, the rat's on probation.

Seanet,
Thanks for the welcome.

While Mr Rat did spend some money, he actually didn't spend as much as most people assume. Deke was paid before rat took over. He got RJ cheap because RJ was rightly concerned about the upcoming CBA, and he let Rod effectively squander the exceptions by renting 2 senior citizens for a partial season.

It could have been worse, but he did some small moves, so now i refer to him as Mr Rat.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
njnets06 said:
Seanet,
Thanks for the welcome.

While Mr Rat did spend some money, he actually didn't spend as much as most people assume. Deke was paid before rat took over. He got RJ cheap because RJ was rightly concerned about the upcoming CBA, and he let Rod effectively squander the exceptions by renting 2 senior citizens for a partial season.

It could have been worse, but he did some small moves, so now i refer to him as Mr Rat.
'Mr. Rat,' I like it. :clap:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Willing to spend is a tricky question....are we looking a next year specifically or 4 years from now? Rat seems to want to win now. The Nets aren't that far off right now. We have 4.9 million plus the MLE. So that's about 10 million in total....is Rat willing to spend it? I think yes one for sure for the power forward spot. 2 is in question and I think that's where the faith question comes in, is he willing to add 2 5 million dollar players this summer? I'd say no, we will add a 4. We will draft a 4 and that's good enough for Ratner. So we have RJ, 5 million, Krstic, Kidd and VC, bench we have Collins, pick, Planinic. I don't see Mercer or Buford back, maybe Vaughn. This is where the need to spend the other 5 mill comes into play...the bench for younger proven players. I don't see Rat doing it. He's seen teams play 5 guys 40 minutes, I think he wants that with the Nets, but that's not a good idea, given Kidd, and VC. Planinic is not the 6th man, I would like to see the second 5 mill spent on that 6th man...or split for a 6th and 6th guy. But I doubt Rat would do that.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The test of Ratner's comittment will not be some unlikely trade scenario. The test will be free agency.

The Nets payroll committment next year amounts to $54.9 million for seven players [Carter, Kidd, Jefferson, Collins, Planinic, Krstic and Mercer.]

Assume first that the Nets do several things with the current roster before any trade, draft, etc. Both the following could be done by June 30.

--either retain Robinson at $5.9 million or exercise the team option and resign him for $3 million or less.

--buy out Mercer for about $1.2 million or 75% of what he is owed.

The cumulative effect of those two things is an additional $2 million, bringing the total to roughly $57 million for seven players.

Then comes the draft:

--sign Drejer to an NBA minimum contract, if the brass think he is worth it. Add $400,000.

--sign two draft choices [say No. 15] at $1.2 million and [No. 45] at $400,000.

The cumulative effect of those three signings is an additional $2.2 million, bringing the total to roughly $59 million for 10 players.

Now comes the big decison: free agency If you assume the new CBA will retain a luxury tax threshhold of about $60 million, anything you spend at this point risks a luxury tax.

--Use the remaining exception [$5 million] to do a sign and trade to get a top flight power forward. The $5 million exception becomes $41 million over six years IF the new CBA retains 12.5% raises and the current contract lengths.

--Divide the $5 million MLE [if it still exists in the same form as the old CBA] between two or three free agents drawn from the pool of Vaughn, Best, Scalabrine or some other NBA or Euroleague player. [We know the Nets have considered signing Euroleague free agents over the past two years. They might do it this year.]

--Sign someone to the veteran's exception, or roughly $750,000.

That gets you to 14 players and a total of $70 million, or roughly the 8th highest payroll next year and $10 million over the luxury tax threshhold.

Some of those numbers can be massaged: Drejer might not come over. The second round draft choice could be traded or the player chosen could be stashed in Europe, but those are minor details. Similarly, a trade could alter the salary structure, but with Kidd, RJ, Carter, Krstic and Collins unlikely to be traded for different reasons, the the Nets are pretty much at or near the luxury tax threshhold no matter how you cut it.

Will Ratner swallow hard and pay the luxury tax if there is one. I think up to a certain amount, he is good since he needs good publicity over the next few months. He is just starting the approvals process and would have a hard time weathering more bad publicity even if it's on the sports pages. At $10 million, though, you're in dangerous territory. Not sure he will go that high.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
njnets06 said:

Welcome to the board. :cheers:

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I also wonder whether Thorn and Stefanski know at this point how far Ratner is willing to go. I bet that decision hasn't even been made yet and will depend in large measure on the new CBA.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts