Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, im assuming we WANT brunson back next year, barring drafting a PG, or going another FA route.

I say yes bring brunson back because he could be the best 3rd string PG in the league. Therin lies the problem. There are teams out there who are thin at the PG position. They might offer him a decent sized one or two year contract. I believe mike smith said tonight that by using some formula hes like the 3rd most productive PG in the league or something like that. Granted, hes probably not one of the top 20 PGs in the league, but still teams will look at that stat, plus what he did while he started, and want to bring him in to be their number 1 backup. So, how much would you be willing to pay brunson to be your 3rd stringer? If jaric for some odd reason is not resigned, yes he becomes VERY important...but if jaric is resigned, im not sure how much we could afford to spend on a 3rd stringer.

Loyalty to dunleavvy and the clippers might play to our favor, but if someone offers him something ridiculous like 3-4 million, thats kind of hard to pass up.

I say offer him double this years salary to 1.8 million about. I cant see us affording to pay any more, especially if were offering max money around.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I'm not sure Brunson will be resigned regardless. He's done well but consider this, Brand, Kaman, Maggette, Livingston, Wilcox, Ross, Rebraca are under contract next year, Chalmers has an option, and Jaric and Simmons are RFAs (I'm not sure about Mikki Moore). Also the Clipps have 3 picks this year (Charlotte's 2nd rounder). So if Simmons, Jaric, Chalmers and Moore are retained the Clipps will have 14 player including the 3 picks...I'm not sure that using that last guaranteed spot on Brunson is wise.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rebraca is not signed next year, chalmers i cant see being picked up over brunson, simmons is an unrestricted FA, and 2nd rounders do not always make the team right away, so i think as long as he doesnt get greedy, theres definately a place for him on the clippers.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your string of crazy posts continue. Even this year he was worth more than a minimum contract, every penny of the million or thereabouts that he got. Hes played better than the majority of the point guards in the leage this year, only a handful of which make less than him.

Looking at his numbers, and his occasional clutch shooting, for you to say hes only worth a minimum contract shows either your being delusional, or just lack of knowledge of the clippers.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Rick Brunson is garbage. This is coming from someone who unfortunately watched almost every Bulls game last season. Now I have no problem admitting he's done a lot more this year than anything I saw him do last year (or any other time of his career), and fact is the only reason he keeps finding a home, 1 because the NBA is like a fraternity, once you're in, you're pretty much and the league recycles players, and 2 Brunson is considered a professional, he comes in and does his job (don't read that as he does it well) but you act like he's a piece of this team that needs to be locked up for the rest of his career.

He's worth his minimum (per the years he's been in the league) and nothing more, period.

We have Livingston, hopefully Jaric will be back, and if we pick up let's say Nate Robinson in the 2nd round, what do we need Brunson back for? Hell they just might bring back Chalmers, and I don't even think he should be kept over Brunson.

Bottom line is no one is going to shed tears if Brunson is not brought back.

Please get a clue and learn about the game, it's beyond comical reading posts like you suggesting we need to lock up Rick Brunson, your constant pimping of Kripples and the neverending, "Baron Davis is not a superstar" comments. It's no wonder you ONLY post on the Clippers board because with your lack of knowledge of the game, you would get lambasted in any other discussion/debate on any other forum on this site.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, your ignorance continues to amaze. No way is brunson worth the minimum. he has proven that this year. What he did with the bulls is irrelevant to the clippers, because they base their assesment of him on what he means to the clippers, what he has accomplished in the dunleavvy system, etc. Last year, they might have looked at what he did with the bulsl, what he did on previous teams....even if he was as bad as you say , the clippers at the time thought he was worth 1 million, without him ever proving himself with the clippers, and not expecting much from him. But now that he has put up incredible numbers, and carried the clippers for a lot of the year, he should all of a sudden get the minimum? Please. Youre just mad because you thought that he was going to start choking and playing like you thought he only could, which never happened. As mike smith said, with one forumla, on paper his output is the 3rd best PG in the leauge. Especially with his per 48 minute average of 11 assists and only 3 turnovers.

Your bottom line is also irrelevant since no one said there would be tear shedding either way. As was mentioned, if he comes back, he would be a 3rd string point guard. If the clippers can keep him for a decent figure, why not do it, and have the best 3rd string PG in the league?

The joke is on you, theres nothing comical about discussing the possibility of resigning your STARTING PG for MOST OF THE SEASON. If you find that comical, then you sure do have a strange sense of humor. You also continue your immature and disgusting name calling of someone who is in constant pain. You must be the kind of person who makes fun of handicapped people and the mentally challenged as well. I post only on the boards that have teams that i am a fan of, why in the world would i go post whoreing on other boards where they talk about things that i could care less about? If i did, i definately would not be ridiculed, because unlike you i do not post assinine things. You are hilarious at saying baron davis is a superstar. A player who has played in about 50-65% only of the games the last 3 years. A player whose career FG average is barely 40%, and who has only once shot more than 42%, that being in the clinton administration, a player who has one of the worst FT% of any starting PG, a player who has a chronic back problem, a player who was deemed expendable because of the play of a journyman named dan, a player who has such low value, despite his long contract, that they could only get speedy claxton and dale davis in return. If that is your definition of a superstar, then this league must have about 30 superstars.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I guess Aaron Williams, Eric Williams, and some crap draft picks for Vince Carter was TERRIBLE for the Nets...(rolling eyes)

Fact of the matter is you don't always get fair value for your players, so there goes your point in trying to equate Baron Davis's talent to what he was traded for.

I'm not going to talk about Brunson anymore, it's just silly...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Brunson is the best: slowest, non-althetic, gets killed on D, can't run a break because all four of his players run the court faster than him, and cannot create any shot of his own player in the league. Why don't we offer him the max?

On a serious note, I would take him back. Just don't pay him much. Give him a few hundred thou more than he made this year. If he wants any type of deal over one year - forget it, and don't pay him more than a million. He would be great playing 5 minutes a night for them.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if youre equating the davis trade to the carter trade, then thats completely different. First of all, everyone was shocked at the lack of value they got for carter, and not with the davis trade. Also, with carter, he completely tanked with that team, and some thought it was out of lack of effort, which eventually turned out to be true. Carter is also not a borderline superstar...the tickets he sells, the highlights he puts up, the numbers he puts up, probably would still keep him as a superstar even if he did get injured for a year or two. Baron Davis is no vince carter.

arenas is amazing: im not going to talk about our starter at PG for most of the year..its silly. Lets keep talking about a chronically injured player that we had no intention of getting, and now have no chance at getting.

Clip show, i think im with on you on the few hundred thousand more for next year offer. With jaric who all of a sudden is injury prone, plus livingston who is so skinny that hes suceptable to injury all the time, you need a really good 3rd stringer incase we have a near repeat of this year. But if he wants any more than 1.5 million, i say let him go and bring back darrick martin or someone else who will come cheaper.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Come on, why has he been the starter?

Injuries.

It's not like he was beating anyone out for the job, that would be a completely different story, so give him a raise and a multiyear deal because he has been the starter since there haven't been any other options?

Please.

We need a really good 3rd stringer, wow, does that make any sense? If the player was worth a damn, they wouldn't be 3rd string.

That being said if management got a clue, there were PLENTY of available backup type PGs this past offseason, McLeod, Goldwire, Andre Barrett, etc. that would have been better "3rd stringers" than Brunson (McLeod actually WON the starting job in Utah).

When will your madness end?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I really don't see him getting more than the minimum. Like guys have mentioned he will only get significant minutes if your other 2 pgs are injured and boy does he ever kill us on D. When you are 32 and have had only one decent year you will not get more than the minimum.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Anytime, anyday, anyplace..........

Give me Baron Davis before Vince Carter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baron might not be a highlight reel superstar - but he is a superstar in the wins and losses column. Flat out, he is a difference maker.

yamaneko said:
if youre equating the davis trade to the carter trade, then thats completely different. First of all, everyone was shocked at the lack of value they got for carter, and not with the davis trade. QUOTE]

....................My question to this is WHO IS EVERYONE????

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No one is questioning why he is the starter, of course its injuries. Doesnt matter though what the reason is, the point is he has been our starter, and has put up decent numbers doing so. That means that he is a proven commodity within the clipper system, even more so that someone with better credientials who has not played for the clippers nor dunleavvy, nor the players on the clippers at this time. If the clippers resign jaric, no matter what, whatever next PG they sign for next year, he will be the third string...its not like they are going to get a 3 million dollar guy who puts up good numbers, thats a waste of money for the 3rd string, and someone like that wouldnt want to play for the clippers if he is a third string. Thus, the logical thing to do would be to resign your STARTER who has proven himself with the team, as long as he can come at a decent price. Especially when your players are injury prone, and you might need someone who can step up. You give him a raise because even before he proved himself, and when he was supposedly as bad as you say he was, he got XX money. But after you prove yourself in this league you get a raise. Look at bobby simmons. He wouldnt have been starting if kittles was 100% healthy. Does that mean he doesnt deserve a raise since he only started because of kittles injury? Simmons is going to get something like 500-800% of his current salary, thanks to kittles injury. Discussing brunson getting 130-140% of his current salary is definately not off base.

We need a really good 3rd stringer, wow, does that make any sense? If the player was worth a damn, they wouldn't be 3rd string.
Yes, that makes sense. Clippers top 2-3 PG's were out most of the year, so thank goodness we had a decent 3rd stringer. Same players will be back next year, so its only logical to plan for possible injury, thus having someone who can step up and start for you without hurting the team too much is a MUST. Your last sentence there is so devoid of logic that its almost a paradox. Hes a third stringer on the clippers because hes playing behind jaric and livignston. We would never have another starting PG on this team because we have livinston for the next few years, so whatever other PG's we get, unless they are better than jaric, will be a 3rd stringer. Thus, why get someone else who doesnt know the system, has never started the amount that brunson has, doesnt know the teammates, hasnt proven himself, etc. etc. The only reason would be if brunson wanted too much money, which is the whole point of this thread...

That being said if management got a clue, there were PLENTY of available backup type PGs this past offseason, McLeod, Goldwire, Andre Barrett, etc. that would have been better "3rd stringers" than Brunson (McLeod actually WON the starting job in Utah).
Hilarious. Brunson by far was the best player they could have possibly gotten. First off since he already knew dunleavvys system. Second of all just look at the numbers he put up. Goldwire and barett have showed almost nothing this year. Mcleod who knows if they could have gotten him, and who knows if he would have excelled in dunleavvy's system. He never did much to show that he belonged in this league before this year, not even lasting one season in minnesota, whereas brunson has been around for years. He also made the team because of his play in training camp, i dont think he was even expected to make the team oringally since they drafted chalmers.

I dont think hes that bad at defense either. he has made plenty of clutch deffensive plays, and as far as steals per 48 minutes, for people who play at least 25 minutes a game, he is the 7th best PG in the leauge at that.

hey, if we can get him for the minimum again, absolutely that would be incredible, im all for it. But i think that we might have to give him a little more, unless he is so loyal to dunleavvy/us that he will sign for the minimum. I really think that other teams will offer him more. While he is a 3rd stringer with us, he could easily be a 2nd string with a number of teams.

clip show you already are mocked for youre being on chalmers jock, dont make it worse by saying that you would want baron davis over carter! Carter is much more of a bonified superstar than davis.

Davis has only started two full or near full years in his entire career! In those years he was 46-36, and 44-38. The next year when he was out a while, the hornets did a little better, going 47-35. Even during the games he did play that year, using two different efficiencey formulas, he was only about 3rd or 4th on his team. The next year, again he only played in 67 games. Hornets went 7 and 6 without him, if im not mistaken a better overall % than their total that year. The next year, which is this year, with the hornets he was 0 for the months of november and december in games played, while his team won its only 2 games during that time without him. in january, with davis, they went 3 and 5, without him they went 3 and 5. In febuary they went 0-1 with him, 3 and 7 without. Golden state, in the previous 9 games before davis, they went 4 and 5. 9 games after davis, they went 4 and 5.

jersey was 9 and 18 before carter in the 27 games before carter, in the 27 games after carter they went 14 and 13.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How many playoff series has Carter won lately? Does Carter increase the value of any other player on his team with his play?? I value a basketabll player by how he plays with others. Last time I checked you have four teammates. Vince has no heart - he is a little ***** He is as tough as a wet paper towel. This is more of a persoanl take more than anything, but Vince is booty - he will never win more than a slam-dunk contest in this league. He was, and still is a media hype - and doubt he is over .500 for his career. What kind of superstar plays under .500 for his career???? I don't think he has what it takes - mental toughness wise to win. Just a spoiled athlete who has had everything given to him since high school. Baron will sacrifice his whole body to make a play - where Vince would be scared to break a nail. And oh yea, Baron is two years younger.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its not like baron davis has championships or many playoff series under his belt either. Carter increases the value of those with his play, yes by drawing defense and attention away from them. Also practicing agasint people like him, lebron james, etc. can improve your defense, as well as teach you things that coaches sometimes cant. Media hype? How much did he drop tonight? 39 points? What is his career scoring average? 24 points? 24 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists...thats a superstar, not media hype. He could play half the games his career, and unlike borderline guys like baron davis, he would still be a superstar due to his marketability, the numbers he puts up, and the fact that he can do things that few humans in history can, such as dunk during a game over a 7 foot center by jumping over him.

For your information, carter this year is shooting 45% which is decent for a perimeter player. His career FT percentage is about 80%. Baron davis? His FG percentage this year is 36%. FT percentage is 65%.

Its fine if as a person or personal preference you pick baron davis. Everyone has their own opinion. But to say that davis is better than carter, especially at this point in davis career is stretching it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OK, I now declare Rebracca as the best player in the NBA! He is shooting 57% and freethrows at 86%. Stats don't lie. He is the best player in the NBA - hands down!!!!! :clap:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts