Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering here, but I wonder how much PT we can expect to see from Omar Cook tonight?

10 day contract players seem to get quite a bit of PT initially. I imagine it is so coaches can see if that is the guy they need to fill a spot. Also in Omars situation he is now the 2nd PG on the Blazers roster.

I bet we see 10+ minutes from him tonight. Coach Cheeks will want to see if he is a guy they can use down the stretch in the backup role.

Slavko Vranes was in a slightly different spot. He was a 3rd maybe 4th option at center. He was brought in to see if he was a project worth taking.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
My predictions for this season and Omar (keep in mind I've never seen the dude play a single game in my life):

1. Omar starts off around 16 mpg.

2. He racks up more assists per minute and plays better defense than Stoudamire. Shooting is probably worse *shudder*.

3. His +/- goes through the roof, well into +6 or +7.

4. Cheeks cuts his minutes to around 10 mpg with about 15 games left in the season.

5. Quick writes another article about the great year Damon is having.

6. We miss the playoffs.

7. Cook is a throw-in on a trade and we start next year with Damon and some other CBA graduate.

I know, folks, I'm really going out on a limb on this one.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
hmmmm, so far my predictions seem a little off. Cook only saw 12 minutes and not 16. we shall see.....

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
hmmmm, so far my predictions seem a little off. Cook only saw 12 minutes and not 16. we shall see.....
Who won the assists per minute battle?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
well, Omar has a -1.5 +/- rating, although he did see a lot of his minutes after Sheed got ejected.

he got 2 assists in 12 minutes, or 8 in 48 minutes. although Person blew a wide open three pointer, so it would looked better. Damon beat him there too.

hard to extrapolate anything really valuable from a 12 minute NBA career.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
The NBA.com box-score has Cook's assists last night at 3 in his 12 minutes of play. That's 12 per 48 minutes... and I can dig that.

Still, it was only 12 minutes, so I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up for the kid. Could be he had an "on" night. He'll definately have "off" nights down the road. Or maybe that was just an "okay" night for him and an "on" night will really wow us? Hard to imagine last night being an "off" night for the kid. And it's hard to tell on just 12 minutes of play.

The thing I liked about him last night, though, was that he didn't have that "deer-in-the-headlights" look about him. He looked like he belonged, and looked like he knew what he was doing (well, except for DA and Person nurse-maiding him up the floor to half-court on every possession to guard against double-teams).

PBF

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I think they get one 10 day , then one more after that's up u have to sign him for the year or let him go.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I agree, PBF. how many NBA players EVER make a great first impression the very first time they step out on the court. the only recent example I can think of is LeBron.

as for the nurse-maiding, it didn't seem to slow down the offense, so I don't see a problem with it. it does make me wonder, though, why we didn't do the same thing with Qyntel.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
I liked what I saw from the guy.

Curious-how many times cana team renew a 10 day contract?

I've noticed other's doing that rather than signing someone.
Any team can offer any particular player no more than two 10-day contracts in a single season.

PBF

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ProudBFan</b>!

Any team can offer any particular player no more than two 10-day contracts in a single season.

PBF
Also, the Blazers no longer have that 14 day grace period for signing their 12th man. They have to have another contract ready to go as soon as OC's contract expires (10 days or 3 games, whichever is the latter), whether it be another 10-day contract or a full-season contract, with OC or someone else.

PBF

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Not to hijack this thread or anything, but I posted this earlier over on the ESPN.com board, and since it's relevant I thought I'd post it here as well.

I really think Cook is the key to whether the Blazers pull the trigger on any trades from here on out. Because if they like what they see in him, it changes their trading goals drastically; they won't be looking to add another PG to the roster, but instead can turn their attention to addressing needs at other positions. Center appears to be the most critical need, but with Sheed, Davis, and Vladi there, is it even that critical?

Because of this, I think the extended PT that Mo gave Cook last night is significant. I'm guessing that the Blazers want to know what they have in this kid asap, likely because they have potential deals in the works and need to know quickly whether to stay or draw.

If no deals go down today or tomorrow (and I have no reason to suspect that any will), keep your eye on Cook's minutes tomorrow night vs. Utah. If they are significant (let's say more than 12...), there's a trade on hold out there. (And I'd even go so far as to say that if he performs well in significant minutes, I'd put money on the Blazers making no more trades... if I had any money, that is.)
PBF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts