Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys need to realize that Jerry West DOESN'T WANT the TERRIBLE longterm contracts of Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, and Lorenzen Wright. You don't win big in this league with overpaid mediocrities like Jason Williams, Michael Dickerson, and Lorenzen Wright--you win with STARS, with SUPERSTARS--you win with guys like Shaq, and Kobe, and Duncan. We've been hearing talk around here about a trade with the Knicks, and everybody seems to think that the Grizz are getting "ripped off." People, OPEN YOUR MINDS A LITTLE BIT! West would do such a trade because the guys that he would be getting from the Knicks--guys like Charlie Ward, Kurt Thomas, and Travis Knight--all have contracts that expire in TWO years. Williams and Dickerson have at LEAST four years (and MAYBE five, does anybody know for sure) to go on their TERRIBLE longterm deals, and Wright has at LEAST four, too! Stromile Swift gets included as TRADE BAIT--you gotta make it worth the Knicks' while to rescue you from these bloated contracts, you know?

I'd like to see THESE two trades happen with the Grizz, let's CLEAN HOUSE, Jerry!

TRADE #1: Jason Williams, Lorenzen Wright, and Stromile Swift to the Knicks; Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward, and Travis Knight (and, if you're lucky, a future #1 pick, but don't count on it) to the Grizz

TRADE #2: Kurt Thomas and Michael Dickerson to the Mavs; Nick Van Exel (two years left on his contract) to the Grizz

Two years from now, the following dudes will be coming off the books FOREVER for the Grizz: Nick Van Exel, Wesley Person, Charlie Ward, Brevin Knight, and Travis Knight. The total amount of money coming off the books FOREVER after the 2003-04 season--get ready, drum roll please--is:

$34.6 MILLION

Let me repeat myself:

$34.6 MILLION

Talk about freeing up some cap room! These moves give the Grizz a LOT of flexibility. Jerry West would have enough cap room to offer one of the two All-Star UNrestricted 2004 free agents--Kevin Garnett and Rasheed Wallace--a max contract. PLUS, his nucleus remains intact--Pau Gasol, Shane Battier, Drew Gooden, plus whoever the team gets with the Rockets' 2003 #1 pick, and DON'T FORGET that this team gets to keep its OWN 2003 #1 pick IF they win the lottery (Lebron James), which MIGHT happen, since this team would SUCK next year. Take a look at the lineup that Grizz fans would be looking at next year:

Starting lineup

PG Nick Van Exel (32 minutes/game)
SG Wesley Person (32 minutes/game)
SF Shane Battier (36 minutes/game)
PF Pau Gasol (36 minutes/game)
C Robert Archibald (12 minutes/game)

Backups: Drew Gooden (32 minutes/game), Earl Watson (16 minutes/game), Gordon Giricek (12 minutes/game), Travis Knight (8 minutes/game), Cezary Trybanski (8 minutes/game), Charlie Ward (8 minutes/game), Brevin Knight (8 minutes/game)

Stashed on the IR or cut or whatever: Chris Owens

That team SUCKS! It shouldn't be any better than LAST year's team. And their center situation SUCKS! Wow does it SUCK! With a little luck (or some illicit behind-the-scenes activities between David Stern and The Logo), this team will win The Lebron James Sweepstakes next June! They will certainly have a decent number of pingpong balls, because NEXT season, this team should ONCE AGAIN be one of the 4-5 WORST teams in the LEAGUE! But at LEAST they've dumped some of those awful longterm salaries! They dumped all those overpaid mediocrities--and they haven't gotten worse! What does that tell you? I know what it tells ME--if you dump a bunch of guys and you don't get worse, then those guys must not be very good! Jason Williams, Lorenzen Wright, and Stromile Swift "led" this team to a 23-59 record last season (only the Warriors and Bulls were worse)--seriously, HOW GOOD CAN THEY BE?

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you haven't noticed Cap Space is over rated,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Star players seem to be staying with their own teams and the mid range guys can be signed for exemptions,,,,,,,,,,,,,

West is trying to create a winning environment for the kids to develop in,,,,

We have our core players (hopefully),,,,

Granted we have some "dead weight" but Heisley seems more than willing to pay the bill, so who cares?,,,,,,,

What you are proposing seems to me like a 3 or 4 year rebuilding plan,,,,

Didn't we just do that?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Twice!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Take Care.

·
Registered
200 Posts
robyg, I don't think we're the ones you should be sending this message to. I think if you want this to happen, maybe Jerry West is the guy you need to get in contact with. I'm hoping you're right about this being only a rumor because this would only be helping the Knicks to me. I think West is done dealing this off-season because I think he wants to give players like J-Will, Dickerson, and Stro another chance under his leadership. If these guys don't do any producing this season, I can very much see them being on the trading block, at least, by all-star break weekend. So I'd say, give up on all the wishful trades you'd like to see happen, and wait til around mid-season and then we'll probably see some shake-ups.

One thing I do agree with you on is the long contracts that some of these guys were given. To correct you, J-Will and Dickerson will be starting the first years of their (7yr.-$45million) deals beginning this season.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>bdachakeya</b>!
J-Will and Dickerson will be starting the first years of their (7yr.-$45million) deals beginning this season.
Seven more years of these two scrubs? And Grizzlies fans DON'T think these guys need to get shipped off AS SOON AS POSSIBLE?

SEVEN MORE YEARS!

Thanks for the info, bdachakeya.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
There contracts might be alittle more then there worth but I still hold 100% confidance in Mike D he will come back to the same form he had in Vancouver.

In J-Wills case IMO I dont think he's a tru starting PG. He would make a great 1st man off the bench but I still think he is way to inconsistent to send any team he's leading into the playoffs.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
do you remember him and CWebb leading the kings into the playoffs. Why cant he do it with the young grizz. I think this year he will lead his team for the fight for the 8 seed and will avg 16 and 8 and shoot approx 44% and 34 3pt%. The grizz will barely make the 8 seed and everyone will change their opinions!!!MARK MY WORDS!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
WHITEBOY, I agree with you about J-Will. I think with him being under the leadership of J-West that we're going to see a more effective player. I think West will be just what J-Will was missing to becoming a complete player; meaning, because of the admiration and respect given to West across the league, J-Will will be more inceptive to the advice West will give to him about the things it takes to becoming a true leader on the floor. And after this happens, alot of these same nay-sayers will be jumping on J-Will's band wagon the same as they did with Bibby. So WHITEBOY, log down some of these names because you're going to see some of these same people posting posts on these boards about J-Will being one the best pgs in the league after his break-out this season.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
EXACTLY!!!!

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS!!!!!!!

G

·
Come on, Travis Knight, and Charlie Ward? Those were the names being thrown around as dead weight needed for Seattle to get rid of Vin Baker and his contract before they ripped off the Celtics. And Kurt Thomas? Yes he's a very good player but you then have the same problem with being overloaded at the power forward position. I have watched as the Grizzlies tried to do the slow rebuild only to decide mid stream to get really older players who did nothing but complain and disrupt the youngsters, and then decide to go the young route again and have to start the gelling process all over again. The problem is that the continuity is gone from year to year, and the team seems like an endless revolving door.
From the far corner of Vancouver it jealously looks to me that the Grizzlies have finally got the pieces right with Gasol, Battier, Gooden, Swift, Dickerson, and Williams(the only thing holding
Jason back in his carreer is his attitude, and there have been many young, hotheaded, cocky, talented, young stars finally turn things around once they've matured a little). No, firesaling these assets off and having new faces who couldn't care less if they're in Memphis or not is not the answer.
What's needed right now is a couple of mid carreer veteran role players with strong character and experience in the right positions. That, and of courese the neverending search for the good, steady center(75% of the teams in the league are still in that search, it's the toughest one to find). This team needs that anchor in the paint.
But the reason why I think Jerry West is so valuable to have running the show isn't because he's so great at making the trades, it's because he knows how to put the pieces in the right order, meaning not just bringing in talent, but knowing what players are needed to turn talent into the team concept. One really good move was signing Earl Watson.
I think he'll sit tight with what's here for a few months and observe. Maybe then a piece that doesn't fit will be replaced with one that does. But to have other teams fans telling any Grizzlies fans that they know what's best for Memphis, and they should trade gold for copper is absurd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts