1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Tony Gonzalez impressed scouts by
holding Dickey Simpkins in check
Wednesday.(AP)

The 6-foot-5 Gonzalez grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds and played stellar defense in leading the Miami Heat's squad of rookies and free agents to a 72-71 victory over the Indiana Pacers.
---
Gonzalez missed his first two shots, both mid-range jumpers, but he redeemed himself with solid defense in the paint.

Indiana forward Dickey Simpkins, an NBA veteran with three championship rings, got the ball on the high block and tried to shake Gonzalez with a series of head fakes and body pumps. But the 256-pound Gonzalez held his ground and didn't bite on the fakes, and the taller Simpkins was forced to pass.

Simpkins finished with five points, only one coming in the second half when Gonzalez was on him almost exclusively.

After halftime, Gonzalez dominated as Miami came from behind for the win. He had eight rebounds -- three on one possession -- and was the Heat's defensive stopper.
Gonzo is only 6'5... :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
He also plays TE in the NFL and blocks regularly against the DL. I think he probably has the toughness part of the game down.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Man, it's going to be a long year for the Warriors!

The Warriors with a starting five of Arenas/Richardson/Dunleavy/Murphy/Zhi-Zhi lost 106-93 to the Laker's starting five of Pargo/Moon/Rush/Samaka/Madsen.

http://www.proexposure.com/stories/0710i.cfm

Man, that is practically Golden State's starting five (missing only Jamison), since Zhi-Zhi isn't that much worse than Foyle/Dampier. Arenas in 35 minutes had a nice game with 25 points (on 7-13 shooting), 3 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2 turnovers. Richardson and Dunleavy combined in 73 minutes for 20 points (on 6-24 shooting), 13 rebounds, 4 assists, and 3 turnovers.

At least if we lose in the summer league games (which will be just as embarrassing), we will be doing so with a much younger starting five than this Warriors group.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I think Jamison/Fortson are a little more intimidating than Murphy/Zhi Zhi.

The Warriors are notoriously bad shooters and would have been helped immensely by Fortson's rebounding. Jamison is a little more athletic than Murphy as well.

Regardless, you should realize that summer league games are not about winning. I am sure they had other goals they wanted to accomplish as well. Though a win does look nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts