Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was discussing this with a friend of mine and came up with these projected standings.

Eastern Conference Playoffs

1. Detroit Pistons : Last Years Record (54-28) : Last Years Seed (3)
The best team in the NBA just got better, without messing up there core. Mehmet Okur was there biggest loss and in his place they have signed a legit 20-10 player before he got injured in Antonio McDyess but you already know all of that transaction-ey **** already. Basically if they can stick to playing TEAM ball they will stick to dominating.

2. Miami Heat : Last Years Record (42-40) : Last Years Seed (4)
Shaq and Wade will make a good duo, but again this is nothing new to you guys. The only reason they are second is because of the easy conference. The team isn't deep enough to beat out the Pacers.

3. New York Knicks : Last Years Record (39-43) : Last Years Seed (7)
At first I couldn't decide who would top this conference and I finally had to go with New York because they have a nice roster on paper. And in a division as ****ty as the Atlantic that takes the cake. The team will do alright though as long as they can fit together on the court.

4. Indiana Pacers : Last Years Record (61-21) : Last Years Seed (1)
The best team in the East last year and unfortunatley is in the same conference as the best team this year. The Pacers and Pistons will likely meet up in the ECF's again this year.

5. Cleveland Cavaliers : Last Years Record (35-47) : Last Years Seed (9)
I think that LeBron James will take another giant step in becoming what he is projected to be. I don't know why but I just can't imagine Cleveland NOT being in the playoffs. Call it a hunch but the Cavs have a nice team overall with a great role player in Eric Snow and hopefully Luke Jackson can do the little things that will make LeBron James have an easier time doing his job.

6. Orlando Magic : Last Years Record (21-61) : Last Years Seed (15)
At first I had the Magic at 8th in the East but then I took another look at there roster. They are so much better than last year without even doing too much. The superstar surrounded by mediocre-to-roleplayers doesn't get you anywhere but a few good players surrounded by mediocre-to-roleplayers DOES get you places. The trade benefitted both Orlando and Houston*.

7. Philadelphia Sixers : Last Years Record (33-49) : Last Years Seed (11)
Allen Iverson will never cease to amaze me and if Willie Green can play like he did when AI was out then this team could go places. Hopefully Glen Robinson wakes up and I'm not doubting that he will. However, in the end I can't see Iverson missing the playoffs twice in a row.

8. Milwaukee Bucks : Last Years Record (41-41) : Last Years Seed (6)
I honestly don't know how they did as good as they did last year but I'm not gonna easily forget it. They will be in the playoffs and it seems kinda weird that I have them this low but I couldn't see them beating the teams ahead of them.

On The Bubble...

Boston Celtics : Last Years Record (36-46) : Last Years Seed (8)
I don't know how Boston isn't in the playoffs but if there are any teams that will squeak in, it will be this one.

Toronto Raptors : Last Years Record (33-49) : Last Years Seed (10)
I wish the Raptors would make the playoffs. They've changed some things like signing Alston (great move) and drafting Araujo (okay move but seems kinda bad for 8th pick). I think those two will contribute but other then that this team doesn't give me a reason to believe. Too bad I'm ****en Canadian.

Chicago Bulls : Last Years Record (23-59) : Last Years Seed (14)
This team looks nice but I'm not gonna be too eager to put them in the playoffs just yet. They are dissapointing if you didn't already know that yourself. They have the chance of making the playoffs and I really would like to see them in there but I'm not counting on it.

Not in contention

New Jersey Nets : Last Years Record (47-35) : Last Years Seed (2)
If Jason Kidd doesn't play then this team will suck, if he does play then they could sqeeze into the playoffs. The roster is garbage without Kidd but I think that Jefferson could keep them up this high.

Atlanta Hawks : Last Years Record (28-54) : Last Years Seed (12)
The team looks like crap but I have a feeling they will have a strangely better-than-expected season. Either they do decently all season or come together at the end. This is the worst team in the league but they won't play like it (Charlotte doesn't count)

Washington Wizards : Last Years Record (25-57) : Last Years Seed (13)
I don't know anything about Washington so if they are all of a sudden good could somebody let me know. The team has good players but they aren't going anywhere.

Charlotte Bobcats : Last Years Record (N/A) : Last Years Seed (N/A)
What can I say? Expansion team.

Power Rankings
1. Detroit
2. Indiana
3. Miami
4. New York
5. Cleveland
6. Orlando
7. Philadelphia
8. Milwaukee
9. Boston
10. Toronto
11. Chicago
12. New Jersey
13. Atlanta
14. Wizards
15. Charlotte

* I love this trade because not only is Orlando better but so is Houston. Instead of surrounding Ming by some good players they traded the good players for another superstar and two superstars is a hell of a thing to have for your franchise.

I don't do West coast.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The Wizards will be higher than that, at least in the "on the bubble" section.

Basically the only two teams you can count out are the Bobcats and the Hawks, you can't really group the Wiz in there unless you have legit reasons which "I know nothing about the Wiz" is not.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>Shanghai Kid</b>!
The Wizards will be higher than that, at least in the "on the bubble" section.

Basically the only two teams you can count out are the Bobcats and the Hawks, you can't really group the Wiz in there unless you have legit reasons which "I know nothing about the Wiz" is not.
Hahaha, I can't say I hear much about the Wizards at all but other then that I think I got the other 14 down.

Wizards on the bubble? Done. I'm down with that.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
You have got to explain to me the reason why cleveland, orlando, and philadelphia have better chances of making the playoffs than the raptors who were only 3 games out of the playoffs last year. It also seems in your seedings, you forgot that the raps missed the playoffs cause of injuries and lack of depth at the bench, the bench part already addressed and we all know injuries can affect anyone

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Geez, the Wiz 14th. Ouch.

Washington will be anywhere from 7th to 9th IMO. They still have no guys who have been through the wars of the playoffs or even know how to get there (no Jamison's 5 games off the bench are not enough).

They are still a work in progress.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by <b>Hbwoy</b>!
You have got to explain to me the reason why cleveland, orlando, and philadelphia have better chances of making the playoffs than the raptors who were only 3 games out of the playoffs last year. It also seems in your seedings, you forgot that the raps missed the playoffs cause of injuries and lack of depth at the bench, the bench part already addressed and we all know injuries can affect anyone
Cleveland has a top 5 player-led team that was an injury away from making the playoffs. They added a great "role player" in Eric Snow and if Drew Gooden can be three quarters the player Boozer was I think they will be alright.

Orlando has Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and remember they were always a few games out of the playoffs in the West. They also have a really nice bench with Garrity and Battie and more then likely Jameer Nelson

Philadelphia on paper is not so good and out of the three teams you challenged I would agree most with THEM falling out. I don't think they will though. Both teams have similar rosters. Injury prone superstars (AI and VC) and fairly deep teams but I look at the Raptors and how they've struggled for the last few years and if AI hadn't gotten hurt and goofed up last year they could have made the playoffs

Face it, I love the Raptors as I am sure you do. But they suck, they are under achievers, but don't worry I will still be up late at night watching them play the Golden State Warriors the night before an exam hoping I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by <b>Pan Mengtu</b>!
Gilbert Arenas
Kwame Brown
Antawn Jamison
Larry Hughes
Jarvis Hayes
Anthony Peeler
Steve Blake
Brendan Haywood
Jared Jeffries

How does a team with those 9 players possibly miss the playoffs in the east?
Let's watch and find out.

They are better then I had them in my first post and I've realized that but since when is it alright to look at a team on paper and say it's better than some others?

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pan Mengtu</b>!
Gilbert Arenas
Kwame Brown
Antawn Jamison
Larry Hughes
Jarvis Hayes
Anthony Peeler
Steve Blake
Brendan Haywood
Jared Jeffries

How does a team with those 9 players possibly miss the playoffs in the east?
By not playing well. I liked their talent last season too but it didn't do them much good.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I like your list.

I would personally move Magic up to the 5th seed though, I can see them as major sleepers come playoff time.

Francis can really take over when he is the focal point. People have been too down on him in my opinion. People say he didn't work well with Yao, but the guy was really looking forward to playing with him for awhile.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Cleveland has a top 5 player-led team that was an injury away from making the playoffs. They added a great "role player" in Eric Snow and if Drew Gooden can be three quarters the player Boozer was I think they will be alright.
I dont know when Lebron James became a top 5 player, but anyways same can be said as Vince, he is arguably a top 10 player and definitely a top 5 talent. Sure they added snow and gooden but they also lost a 15, 10 player in Boozer how can that be replaced. I predict the Cavs will be struggling, they better hope Z doesnt have his bouts of injuries or else their season is doomed.

Orlando has Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and remember they were always a few games out of the playoffs in the West. They also have a really nice bench with Garrity and Battie and more then likely Jameer Nelson

Toronto has Jalen and Vince. They were also only a few games out of the playoffs. Not considering the fact that Jalen was playing with a broken hand, he should be healthy for this season. Hereby taking the load of Vince, please dont tell me Francis and Mobley are a better tandem than Vince and Rose.

Philadelphia on paper is not so good and out of the three teams you challenged I would agree most with THEM falling out. I don't think they will though. Both teams have similar rosters. Injury prone superstars (AI and VC) and fairly deep teams but I look at the Raptors and how they've struggled for the last few years and if AI hadn't gotten hurt and goofed up last year they could have made the playoffs
Philly is a team that I believe can really make some noise. But once again should I remind you Vince played 73 games this past season, no basketball this summer ala olympics dont u think he will be well rested for the season. The notion of him being injury prone is getting overplayed.

Bottom line keep sleeping on the Raps, thats exactly what we want when we shock everyone. We wont win the East but we sure can make the playoffs and make a dent too

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I also think you have Cleveland too high, I'd put them at the 8th seed or 9th seed. If Carter is healthy I can easily see them pushing Cleveland out, same with Celtics though they are little too young right now.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
Its easy, i can explain it in 3 words.

THE RAPTORS SUCK.

BFreak.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hereby taking the load of Vince, please dont tell me Francis and Mobley are a better tandem than Vince and Rose.
With Vince playing like the unmotivated ***** that he has been over the last few years I don't see why not. Anyway, I didn't even say that Francis and Mobley anyway. The Raptors have an okay bench but the Magic have in my opinion a slightly better one. I would like to see the Raps in the playoffs and if Vince is healthy and motivated and Jalen Rose is healthy this team can make some noise. They could be up to the fifth seed but there talent isn't in question. They have the players now they need to show that they can compete for a full season physically and emotionally.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Should be locks:
Detroit
Indiana
Miami
New York
Philadelphia

On the bubble:
Cleveland
Orlando
Milwaukee
Boston
Toronto
Chicago
Wizards

Little to no chance:
New Jersey
Atlanta
Charlotte

That is how I'd seperate it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KABI</b>!

Power Rankings
1. Detroit
2. Indiana
3. Miami
4. New York
5. Cleveland
6. Orlando
7. Philadelphia
8. Milwaukee
9. Boston
10. Toronto
11. Chicago
12. New Jersey
13. Atlanta
14. Wizards
15. Charlotte
Why do people think a team is better although they lost a 15/10 guy like Boozer. Yes James will improve and likely take his team to another level but he can't do it by himself. Gooden is not Boozer. Clark is not Boozer. Boozer is 15 and 10 night in and night out. I think Cleveland will be pretty fun to watch but not 5th in the East. People are so down with the Nets because of the lost of Martin. Everyone is predicting them to miss the playoffs and predicting Cavs will make it. It's funny. I think NJ will battle for the last spot in the East along with Milwaukee, Boston, Toronto, and may be Wizards like usual.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Not playoff seedings, but how the records will play out ...

1. Detroit
2. Indiana
3. Miami
4. New York
5. Philadelphia
6. Boston
7. Washington
8. Orlando
9. Milwaukee
10. Cleveland
11. Chicago
12. Toronto
13. Atlanta
14. New Jersey
15. Charlotte

Of course, it has been my finding that I change my prediction a bit here or there just about every week, so I'll have to check back next weekend to shuffle things up a bit.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
Should be locks:
Detroit
Indiana
Miami

On the bubble:
Philadelphia
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Orlando
Wizards
New York
Boston
Toronto

Little to no chance:
Chicago
New Jersey
Atlanta
Charlotte

and these teams are in order with the top team being the one i think has the best chance at the playoffs(with the idea copied from jtck). the bucks would be a lock if there weren't questions about ford's healthy. and i have no faith in the knicks doing anything. they have talent on their roster, but i don't see it going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts