Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If haven't heard the Miami Heat are retiring Dan Marino's jersey. I personally think that is a bit over the top. I think its stupid for the pistons to raise EC championship banners since they had just won a championship recently.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Heat werent even around for Marino's best years. That, I agree, is dumb. I still think #23 should have been retired league wide after Mike's second retirement.

There is nothing wrong with raising the EC Champs banner.

Reactions: Pejavlade

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
md6655321 said:
The Heat werent even around for Marino's best years. That, I agree, is dumb. I still think #23 should have been retired league wide after Mike's second retirement.

I agree.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
I don't understand the point of hanging a jersey raised from another sport. I pretty much ignore all the Barry talk nowadays; is his jersey even retired from the Lions?

I think you can raise EC/WC banners. I mean it isn't the ultimate goal, but it is an accomplishment, plus you get a trophy for it so you may as well go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think when you make it back to the playoffs for the first time in a long time its okay to raise a divison or conference championship banner but the pistons had one goal last year and that was to win the title. Just winning the EC was a disappointment I don't think we should celebrate failure.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Eh, I still think winning the East is something to be proud of. It's only been done 5 times since the Pistons moved to Detroit. It's not like we're the Lakers where we would literally have about 20 banners up.

We should be done with central division banners though.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
md6655321 said:

No player should ever have his number retired league wide. That is just wrong in my eyes and I would be throwing things at my tv if I saw MJ's number hanging from Detroit's rafters at any point in time. He was a rival of ours and he should be disliked accordingly.

Reactions: P33r~

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Mike luvs KG said:
Eh, I still think winning the East is something to be proud of. It's only been done 5 times since the Pistons moved to Detroit. It's not like we're the Lakers where we would literally have about 20 banners up.

We should be done with central division banners though.
If the team wants to hang a banner after they won something, I can't say no. Maybe divison banners shouldn't be done the same way as the important ones. I mean its good to give some credit to what you've done but you also don't want the place field with semi-good banners.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
kamego said:
No player should ever have his number retired league wide. That is just wrong in my eyes and I would be throwing things at my tv if I saw MJ's number hanging from Detroit's rafters at any point in time. He was a rival of ours and he should be disliked accordingly.
Totally disagree here Kam, they can't do it now that LeBron is around, but they had ample time to do it before. I think they should have, just like the NHL should retire 99 (if they haven't).

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I agree that non-basketball and league-wide numbers should not be retired.

EC banners should be raised though... some teams will be lucky to make the Finals in their existence. I mean, look at the New Jersey Nets era from 02-04, they need something to remember that by, even though it wasn't the ultimate. The teams to deserve to be remembered, just as the 04-05 Pistons do.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Lope31 said:
Totally disagree here Kam, they can't do it now that LeBron is around, but they had ample time to do it before. I think they should have, just like the NHL should retire 99 (if they haven't).
If they put Waynes number in Joe Lewis Arena, I would take it down myself. Gordie Howe would deserve the league wide retirement before Wayne. That is the reason you can't retire numbers league wide because no one will ever agree to it. I hate the idea of having one of our arch rivals having his number up in our rafters. If your going to a UofM Football game what do you think would happen if they had Archie Griffen's number retired since he was the only two time Heisman winner... I grew up in a time in Detroit we hated MJ and we laughed as we bet him 3 years in a row, so I hardly think he should have his number retired here. I would rather George Blaha got his put up there.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
kamego said:
If they put Waynes number in Joe Lewis Arena, I would take it down myself. Gordie Howe would deserve the league wide retirement before Wayne. That is the reason you can't retire numbers league wide because no one will ever agree to it. I hate the idea of having one of our arch rivals having his number up in our rafters. If your going to a UofM Football game what do you think would happen if they had Archie Griffen's number retired since he was the only two time Heisman winner... I grew up in a time in Detroit we hated MJ and we laughed as we bet him 3 years in a row, so I hardly think he should have his number retired here. I would rather George Blaha got his put up there.
I was a Bulls fan when I was 9 years old. I can't say anything bad about the man, and I liked Gretzky too. Hate me. I was nine.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
kamego said:
I was a Bulls fan when I was 9 years old. I can't say anything bad about the man, and I liked Gretzky too. Hate me. I was nine. :D

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Lope31 said:
I was a Bulls fan when I was 9 years old. I can't say anything bad about the man, and I liked Gretzky too. Hate me. I was nine. :D
I understand that and I am not trying to give you a hard time about it. I am just looking at things as a Detroiter and those two aren't the most liked people in Detroit. If numbers are going to be hung up in Detroit, we got plenty of people already to honor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts