Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this version of the Celtics with role players surrounding Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett win a championship?

Did Boston handle the Ray Allen situation correctly? Could they have kept him if they went about it a different way?

Do you think Jason Terry is an upgrade over Ray Allen at this point in their respective careers?

It appears as if Jeff Green will be resigning on a 4-yr deal for $36 mil. Is that too much to pay (assuming he is healthy)?

What is your opinion on the drafting of Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo in terms of helping this team in the immediate future?

What kind of offer from Minnesota (or any other team) would you match for Greg Stiemsma?

How do you feel about the C's going after Courtney Lee? What role would he play on this team?

How worried are you about Avery Bradley's upcoming surgery? Will he retain his starting role if Lee is signed?

Given all their other free agent targets, should Boston bring back Mickael Pietrus as well?

Word is that Chris Wilcox is fully healed after aortic surgery. Should he be brought back if Stiemsma goes to the Wolves? What about if Stiemsma is retained?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can this version of the Celtics with role players surrounding Rajon Rondo, Paul Pierce, and Kevin Garnett win a championship?
I think they can. Miami would certainly be favored in the east (as they should be)... but I would say that Boston has a real shot.
RollWithEm said:
Did Boston handle the Ray Allen situation correctly? Could they have kept him if they went about it a different way?
I think Boston handled it about right. Apparently, Allen wanted out anyways... (I don't necessarily blame Allen for that, either, given the attempts to trade him and what not)... so there was only so much Boston could do in this situation.
RollWithEm said:
Do you think Jason Terry is an upgrade over Ray Allen at this point in their respective careers?
It's about a push. Allen has a better shot and the C's tailored some of their offense around him... but Terry is more versatile, better off the dribble and more comfortable in a 6th man role.
RollWithEm said:
It appears as if Jeff Green will be resigning on a 4-yr deal for $36 mil. Is that too much to pay (assuming he is healthy)?
Probably a little too much $$$... but if the C's are going to take one more shot at a title next season then Green can definitely help the cause.

Lord knows Boston could have used Jeff Green vs. Miami.
RollWithEm said:
What is your opinion on the drafting of Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo in terms of helping this team in the immediate future?
I liked the draft for Boston. I think both Sullinger and Melo have good potential to be quality NBA players.

As far as immediate return?... probably can't expect much next season. Sullinger is buried in the depth chart, and Melo needed a lot of refinement.

Although, it would be GREAT if Melo can offer anything at center right away. I know Melo's offensive game needs work... but he can't be any worse than Stietsma or Hollins on that end, right? I love Melo's shot blocking ability on the defensive end...
RollWithEm said:
What kind of offer from Minnesota (or any other team) would you match for Greg Stiemsma?
Only a very small one. Stiemsma does has some value in that he can eat up some minutes at C and protect Garnett from having to play that role too often.

BUT... let's be honest: Stiemsma is a very limited player and not much better than some guy Boston could pull off the street to eat up low level minutes at C.

Bottom line: Stiemsma is not a guy you go to war over.
RollWithEm said:
How do you feel about the C's going after Courtney Lee? What role would he play on this team?
I like it. He would take over Pietrus's role and be a slight to mid level upgrade, IMO.
RollWithEm said:
How worried are you about Avery Bradley's upcoming surgery? Will he retain his starting role if Lee is signed?
I really hope AB can put this shoulder thing behind him and come back 100%.

The point at which Bradley started to gain big minutes and eventually become a starter last season directly coincides with the point the C's heated up and became one of the best teams in the NBA.

If healthy, Bradley should DEFINITELY be in the starting line-up.
RollWithEm said:
Given all their other free agent targets, should Boston bring back Mickael Pietrus as well?
If the Celtics don't get Lee... sure. Pietrus has a role and he fills it adequately.
RollWithEm said:
Word is that Chris Wilcox is fully healed after aortic surgery. Should he be brought back if Stiemsma goes to the Wolves? What about if Stiemsma is retained?
I look at Wilcox and Stiemsma as basically interchangeable. They are both low end options at C and the best you can hope for out of either one is to steal minutes without being too much of a liability.

I don't think you need both guys on this team. Especially when Boston has undersized guys like Bass and now Sully who can bang down low for stretches.

---------

This Boston team has one more run in them. And, IMO, they have a real shot.

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts

Not unless the role players all play great defense and can pick up some scoring load.

He viewed the Terry signing as a slap in the face. I think that sealed it.

No major differences IMO.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

Sullinger can score from the post and rebound right away. The rebounding is especially important, since that's been our weakness since 2010. If Melo pans out, he's another Perkins, which is always good, though I don't know if it happens this year.

The guy did block 1.6 shots a game in 14 minutes. You're going to need that kind of shot blocking next to Sullinger and even Garnett at this point. To answer the question, I don't know what I'd match until it's offered.

Probably the Pietrus role. He can hit the three and defend.

I can't see the Celtics bringing two undersized guards off the bench. I'd say Bradley is the starting SG unless he really ****s something up.

If Courtney Lee becomes a Celtic, there's no room for Pietrus.

For a minimum or close to minimum contract, yeah. Can never have too many bigs.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I honestly don't think there's a ton of "fixing" to be done at this point. Clearly the C's took a look around, didn't see an attractive rebuilding option, and decided to remain relevant through Pierce's contract. Considering the Bulls are pretty out of it next year, it's mostly just filling out the roster and keeping your eyes option for the option to swing a blockbuster. It's better than letting everyone walk, getting some crappy picks for Pierce, and watching garbage ball next season and possibly beyond.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Celtics need to mirror what the Spurs did last year in terms of expanding their rotation to 11 or 12 guys and sitting their vets some nights to keep them fresh and healthy. If they can manage some deadline deals akin to Boris Diaw and Stephen Jackson, that would be even better.

If the C's roll into the playoffs healthy, they will likely be the second best team in the East this season. They just have to find a way to beat the Heat.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Boston has KG, Bass, Sullinger, Melo, Johnson and Wilcox up front...WTF are they going to do with Darko?

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wilcox is back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts