Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does Steve Nash make this team a true championship contender without moving Gasol or Bynum?

Would you consider trading Bynum for Dwight Howard?

Will a team coached by Mike Brown ever win a title?

Will Kobe seed the main ball-handling duties willingly to Steve Nash for the good of the team?

Are you worried that Bynum might leave L.A. after this season if they don't win a title?

Larry Coon thinks the Lakers should amnesty Metta World Peace. Do you agree?

Jodie Meeks, Raja Bell, Rashard Lewis, and Brandon Rush have been rumored to be on the wish list. Who would you go after?

Would you consider resigning Matt Barnes?

Will Darius Johnson-Odom or Robert Sacre ever play any meaningful minutes for this team?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Does Steve Nash make this team a true championship contender without moving Gasol or Bynum?
I say yes, although are chances are much better if we get Dwight. And upgrading the bench so the starters can rest would be nice.

Yes.

It's possible. I just hope he doesn't run the starters into the ground.

Will Kobe seed the main ball-handling duties willingly to Steve Nash for the good of the team?
Yes.

Are you worried that Bynum might leave L.A. after this season if they don't win a title?
No

Wouldn't surprise me if they did. I'm not as high on him as some, so if we could get a decent player to replace him on the cheap I'm ok with it.

Jodie Meeks, Raja Bell, Rashard Lewis, and Brandon Rush have been rumored to be on the wish list. Who would you go after?
Rush would be excellent. Meeks would be my next choice, and then Bell. I'd prefer Jamison over Lewis. I'd also be interested in a sign and trade of Sessions for Courtney Lee.

I think he is gone.

Will Darius Johnson-Odom or Robert Sacre ever play any meaningful minutes for this team?
Doubtful they do this season. Maybe in the future.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
sure, with a few tweaks on the bench

yep

dont see why not - especially one made up of a lot of veteran players who provide their own leadership

as long as he gets enough shots aned they are winning

not really, **** him

no - Metta is fun and he's better than people think

sessions, hill , hill, jamison and raja bell can go **** himself

vets min? sure

meaningful? ever? no idea

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Sure, but they aren't the favorite.

I am very leery of back surgeries. He doesn't want to be here so no.

If he toughens up and can earn the respect of Bynum and Gasol, yes.

He already said in interview that he wants that. To just be a scorer, his job.

For every Sessions, Ariza etc... There's another guy who can't wait to get here. Playboy mansion is still in L.A. so I have no worries

I would never say a team should pay someone $7 million to play for another team. Nash might improve his game ? The amnesty won't help the team, only Buss' bottom line. You can't sign anyone for that money.

Lakers could have drafted Boozer ! After that achilles injury, he can't leave the ground. He won't play for the minimum either.If Phil was still here I would get Darko. Maybe he could get production out of him.

One of the best vet min. players out there. If he'll play for that, he's in.

If Odom applies himself , he can take someone's job. Maybe take over for Nash in a few years. But, its up to him.

Sacre is a big body like Jordan Hill. You can throw him out there on an eastern trip and he can throw some elbows under the basket. He could become a rotation guy if given a chance. Not sure Brown will do that.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
A championship contender, yes. A favourite? No.

If D-Ho would resign, than yes, in a second. Without that reassurance, nope.

It's possible. If a guy like Rudy T did it (where is he now?), why not Brown? If the team is good enough, whomever is the coach won't be a problem.

Yes. But he won't be Reggie Miller (as in a "catch-and-shoot" player): he will have the ball some of the time, in iso plays and while trying to create from the weak side (who will give Nash the ball for the 3?)

Nope.

No. Metta still has game in him. And plenty of heart (see 2012 playoffs). Still got, at least, one more season as the starting SF.

Raja Bell can go **** himself. I don't know much about Meeks or Rush, but i would go after the one who can consistently be a long-range bomber.

For the right price, yes.

Not in a couple of years.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts

Yes

In a heartbeat if he agreed to re sign

Hopefully this team will.

Kobe's a selfish asshole, but a vet like Nash will probably be able to pry the ball out of his hands a little. I'll say yes

Not really.

Not until we get a replacement 3. A below average small forward is better than no small forward.

'Shard is already off of the table. Brandon Rush and Raja Bell both suck. I guess we could use Jodie Meeks as a shooter off the bench. I'd sign him if the price was right.

For like the vet minimum.

Probably not.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Why would the Lakers amnesty Metta? It doesn't give them anymore cap room.

Or is it just the Wilt "lets save Buss some money" line of thinking?

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Because he's not very good? If we get a replacement that's better at playing basketball then we should amnesty him. If we don't, then we shouldn't amnesty him.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Artest came into 'camp' out of shape but played himself back into condition and was actually pretty decent in the last month of the regular season and into the play-offs. I think he still has something left and unless they find an upgrade I would be disappointed to see them making that kind of money move that wont help them win now

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts

I think so. I feel like people aren't realizing how much better we're about to get, despite his age.

You would have to at least consider it, assuming Dwight says he'd sign an extension.

I sure as **** hope that this will be the team to do it. Otherwise, I don't think so. He won't get much better opportunities than coaching LeBron and then this Lakers squad.

When necessary, yes, but I still think down the stretch of games, he'll have the ball in his hands a lot and work from there.

Not at all.

Nope. He started playing well late last season and his defense is still much needed in my opinion.

Give me Elton Brand or Antawn Jamison.

If you can't get anything better, then sure.

Maybe, but not anytime soon.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Because he's not very good? If we get a replacement that's better at playing basketball then we should amnesty him. If we don't, then we shouldn't amnesty him.
That makes no sense, amnestying Metta doesn't put them in a better position to get a better small forward. Whoever they can get with Metta off the roster they can get with him on the roster.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Why would the Lakers amnesty Metta? It doesn't give them anymore cap room.

Or is it just the Wilt "lets save Buss some money" line of thinking?
You mean the realistic way of looking at things? It would save them luxury tax money. Artest is not really essential to winning a title. There are a lot of guys you could replace him with and not really hurt your chances.

So why pay him the money? You might not want it to be that way, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
You mean the realistic way of looking at things? It would save them luxury tax money. Artest is not really essential to winning a title. There are a lot of guys you could replace him with and not really hurt your chances.

So why pay him the money? You might not want it to be that way, but that's the way it is.
name one realistic option out there right now that's better

dropping him without upgrading hurts your chances this year - and this year and next is pretty much the window - that's the reality

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Carlos Delfino. Better 3 pt shooter and more mobile.

The reality is that Metta is just not that good any more. People keep talking him up based on games that were played without Kobe and a couple playoff games. I don't consider that a good basis for judging him going forward.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Delfino will not be playing for the vet's min. Try again !

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

I wasn't being a critic, I was asking a question.

I was curious as to why people wanted to cut metta, what Luke said made no sense. I just wanted to see if they subscribed to your "owners need to dump players even when it all it does is save them money" line of thinking.

Not to mention Metta only has two years left no? That could be valuable in the near future (see Luke Walton trade).

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Not to mention Metta only has two years left no? That could be valuable in the near future (see Luke Walton trade).
That's true. I could see them keeping him for another year before deciding to amnesty him if he isn't sent out in a trade.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Artest came into 'camp' out of shape but played himself back into condition and was actually pretty decent in the last month of the regular season and into the play-offs. I think he still has something left and unless they find an upgrade I would be disappointed to see them making that kind of money move that wont help them win now
Exactly correct! The Lakers leading scorer in the 7th game of the finals in their last championship season still has some game left. And he played Paul Pierce very tough too. At the end of the season, there were periods where it seemed to me that he made good things happen on both ends of the floor. Surprising IQ for a nutcase. Been hating the Celtics since the 60's. You help beat them the way he did and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts