Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you handle Deron Williams' situation?

How do you feel about Avery Johnson as head coach?

Do you see a scenario where Dwight Howard winds up in Brooklyn?

If he doesn't, what sort of offer sheet would you be willing to match on Brook Lopez?

How would you instill a winning culture in this organization?

Do you think Gerald Wallace is a part of this team's future?

Was amnestying Travis Outlaw a smart move?

Would you consider resigning Kris Humphries? DeShawn Stevenson?

How would you approach free agency with Deron/Dwight on board? DWill only? Neither?

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/brooklyn.htm

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts

Well, I'd try to keep him.

Not great, not bad.

Now that the Magic fired Otis Smith, no.

If he doesn't, what sort of offer sheet would you be willing to match on Brook Lopez?

A minimum offer, maybe. Brook's awful. A big man whose primary offense is from mid-range, is a HORRIBLE rebounder and has no inside game to speak of isn't worth a whole lot.

At this point just build from the ground up with what you can and preach defense and fundamentals.

If Deron's gone, and he almost certainly is, I don't see why you'd go out of your way to bring Wallace back, unless it's a bargain deal. Or why he'd want to come back.

Eh.

Yeah, they can help.

How would you approach free agency with Deron/Dwight on board? DWill only? Neither?

With Deron/Dwight on board, bring Wallace back at all costs. Since getting Dwight at this point likely means giving up Brooks, get a SG on the open market (or stick with Stevenson). Humphries should be at least an adequate power forward for that group, so hold on to him.

Can't see a scenario where Deron's the only player here.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts

He wants to decide before free agency starts, so all that's left is the draft to make any final impressions before he decides. Not sure if there are any moves I'd look to make, but I'd keep my ears open. I would probably only do moves that benefit the team whether Deron stays or leaves, though.

Hard to really evaluate a coach. Doesn't seem great in game, but Brooks and Jordan Williams played well as rookies despite both being taken after the 20th pick in a weak draft. Gerald Green did great after joining the team from the D-League. Kris Humphries has also played much better under Avery than anyone else. Hard to really know how much credit Avery deserves, and how much goes to the players for improving and the rest of the staff for acquiring and coaching them.

Yep. He doesn't want to stay, if Deron stays then Brooklyn will be at the top of his list. Other teams probably wouldn't top an offer we would make for him if he's not interested in extending with them. And if we have Deron and capspace, and he becomes a free agent, I'd be shocked if he didn't come. I'm more worried about his injury than most people seem to be though.

Any

Win, obviously. Otherwise, bring in good veterans with a passion for winning and good leadership skills.

Hard to say. I could see him retiring as a Net, I could also see him as a name no Net fan ever wants to hear. I don't think losing the 6th pick is as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be, but it would certainly be hard to justify if both Gerald and Deron leave this offseason.

Yeah. He wasn't helping anything by staying with the team, and he had the worst contract on the team. No real reason not to do it.

Yes to both. Stevenson if he comes cheap again, seems like a decent leader/mentor, can play spot minutes too.

At PF, Ilyasova seems like the top target, with Garnett and Humphries the backup options. Ersan is the youngest, probably has the most upside, and had a great year. Always have to worry about a guy with only one good year though. Also not sure he's quite the defender that I would want at PF.

I like Garnett for the leadership/mentoring role too. He's unlikely to come if Deron leaves, but I wouldn't be opposed to going after him even then. I think he'd be a huge help when it comes to developing the defense of the younger guys, and keeping the intensity levels up as well. I think playing next to KG would be huge for Brook's career especially, getting him to commit to defense and rebounding.

Humphries is great as a fallback option though. Hardnosed double-double guy who you don't really have to worry about. He's a lot younger, a better rebounder, and seems less crazy when compared to Garnett. He's also probably safer and maybe cheaper than Ilyasova. Still, I'd prefer a guy with a bigger defensive impact.

Probably focus on guys like Wallace and Garnett if I got Deron and/or Dwight. Strong vets to build a contender right away. If Deron leaves though, there's probably no one in this free agency class that would make or break the team.

Either way though, I wouldn't let Gerald Green go anywhere.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Billy King. Billy Mother****in' King. How can I laugh at Shaq GM rumors when Billy King is one?

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MarShon Brooks: "We don't really have a team right now... I’m just working as hard as I possibly can to be ready for whatever role they give me. I’ve been doing a lot of lifting, trying to get stronger. I think that will help me with my defense, my long range shot."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/nets...di89MzkFl6FzM?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Nets

This is the team I'm most anxious to see develop over this offseason. I still have no idea what their roster will look like at the beginning of this coming season.

Alex Kennedy tweeted this yesterday: "The Brooklyn Nets are trying to acquire a first-round pick, according to league sources."

What is going on with this team?

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
To amend my earlier suggestion I would probably also hire a platoon of Al-qaeda terrorists, arm them with machetes and flamethrowers and then tell them that the Nets' front office is part of the international zionist conspiracy.
Hm, Russo-Zionist Conspiracy, huh? Haven't seen that one since '48 :D

But yeah, there have been some very questionable personnel decisions that look much more like desparate attempts by guys who want to keep their jobs than reasoned, long-term, decision making.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What would Jason Kidd provide to this franchise if they are able to keep DWill?

The future Hall of Famer, who will become a free agent on July 1, said Monday that owner Mikhail Prokhorov and the move to Brooklyn are alluring aspects of why he's considering a reconnection with the Nets.

But Williams "is the key."

"My days of playing 38 minutes are over," said Kidd, 39, adding that he'd be okay with being a backup for the first time in his career. "We (Williams and I) could play off each other and hopefully be successful."
LINK

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Never seen him, best case scenario he winds up another Dirk, but I'm guessing he'll be a lot closer to Bargnani/Anderson. probably just a stretch 4 off the bench

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the Nets got a stash-and-see guy (Ilkan Karaman) out of Turkey and Tyshawn Taylor. It remains to be seen if either guy will actually play a minute for the Nets.

Their time to shine will be July 1st.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT
Nets have reached deal in principle with Mirza Teletovic, source says
Howard Beck ‏@HowardBeckNYT
Nets are using midlevel exception to sign Teletovic to 3-yr deal. Means: 1. they cannot go over $74 mil payroll. 2. Can't use MLE for Kidd
Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
Confirmed. 3 yrs, $15.675M Using MLE RT @HowardBeckNYT: Nets have reached deal in principle with Mirza Teletovic, source says.”
Hopefully he's worth it. Seems like a much better fit with Dwight than Brook, but either way I wouldn't be surprised to see the team use the MLE on another big next year.

Also, RWE, they also bought the pick used for Toko Shengalia to go along with Taylor and Karaman. Shengalia was expected to be a Eurostash but he's said he want to play in the summer league to try and get a contract this year.

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Brooklyn is finalizing a sign-and-trade deal with the Los Angeles Clippers for Reggie Evans, league sources tell Y! Sports.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I guess the new question is: how good will this team be if they resign Kris and Brook to go with JJ?

PG Deron Williams
SG Joe Johnson/MarShon Brooks
SF Gerald Wallace/Mirza Teletovic
PF Kris Humphries/Reggie Evans
C Brook Lopez

They definitely need to fill out their roster with a veteran back-up PG and maybe another banger down low, but they certainly have the type of roster that can make up for a non-rebounding center. Humphries, Evans, and Wallace are all top per-minute rebounders in the league.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts