Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as we're walking the concourse back to seats 1 and 2 (of our 4 seats we could've had)..we walk by the ticket helpers area..and I notice this tall handsome skinny guy.

I go "holy ****! thats Bobby Gross!!!"

so I say to howie "holy ****! Thats Bobby Gross!! I'm gonna go back and ask him for a picture!"

so I go back to him, and say "I know this is a little odd, but can I take a picture of you?" I then get Howie to go over and get in the picture. At first, I think Bobby Gross might've been "how the hell do you know who I am??" and then I think he thought I was asking him to take a picture of myself and Howie!

So I say "no, Howie, get over there" and badda bing...here's the proof!

It was so sweet meeting (well, taking a picture of) Bobby Gross! That was the highlight of the night, imho. I should've shook his hand, and thanked him. I did tell him that his wife (who he was talking to) is my dads season ticket liason and that he was my dads favorite player on the title team.

Kudos to Bobby Gross for being so cordial.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If anyone besides Walton won the 1977 title for Portland, it was Bobby Gross. The job he did on Dr. J, both defensively and making J pay for being an anverage defensive player himself was awesome.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
James Edwards was at the game as well.....Did you get his picture?

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
James Edwards was at the game as well.....Did you get his picture?
Damit Hap, I told you that was him!!!! We did get to talk with Nate Bishop and I think that if any of you were listening to the Spanish Broadcast you might have heard part of our conversation. :biggrin:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chris_in_pdx said:
If anyone besides Walton won the 1977 title for Portland, it was Bobby Gross. The job he did on Dr. J, both defensively and making J pay for being an anverage defensive player himself was awesome.
amen! Even Bill Walton has said that Bobby was the best player on the blazers in that series.

If there's a #30 that deserves to have his jersey retired (after Porter does) it's Bobby Gross!

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HOWIE said:
Damit Hap, I told you that was him!!!! We did get to talk with Nate Bishop and I think that if any of you were listening to the Spanish Broadcast you might have heard part of our conversation. :biggrin:
wha?? when did you tell me it was him?

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Hap said:
amen! Even Bill Walton has said that Bobby was the best player on the blazers in that series.

If there's a #30 that deserves to have his jersey retired (after Porter does) it's Bobby Gross!
Well, certainly Rasheed's #30 shouldn't be counted among those to be retired.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Hap said:
wha?? when did you tell me it was him?
When you weren't listening..........duh! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I love that you two just got back from going to the game together and you get online and have a conversation on here.

That's friendship.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HOWIE said:
When you weren't listening..........duh! :rolleyes:
hm..was it when we were spending 5 minutes watching the game, or the other 43 minutes being chatty kathys (ok, I was the chatty kathy and you were the "dude hap..shut up")?

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Hap said:
hm..was it when we were spending 5 minutes watching the game, or the other 43 minutes being chatty kathys (ok, I was the chatty kathy and you were the "dude hap..shut up")?
Yes boys and girls, you heard it here first!!!!

=

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: gambitnut

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Thanks, Hap and Howie. You guys made my day. I'm a huge Bobby Gross fan from way back. He and Walton were great together; Gross would cut to the hoop and Walton would hit him with a perfect pass. Gross was also great on the fastbreak, and could dunk the ball. And his defense on Erving in the title series was crucial. I remember Brent Mussberger and the media talking about what a great job Gross did on the Doctor.

Thank's again for the picture. It's priceless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts