Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Davis Will Get A Shot Off Bench

Hubert Davis, who ranks second all-time in career 3-point shooting percentage, will sign a 10-day contract with the Nets, likely on Monday. Davis, 33, originally drafted by the Knicks out of North Carolina in 1992, cleared waivers yesterday following his release by Detroit, his fifth team in 12 seasons.

Davis is a common-sense pickup by the Nets. With a lifetime .441 3-point percentage, he ranks behind Steve Kerr (.454) and ahead of late Nets great Drazen Petrovic (.437). The Nets figure to try Davis, and if impressed would sign him for the remainder of the season. New Orleans, beset by injuries, was the chief competition in the courtship of Davis (6-5, 183), who is an 8.3 ppg career scorer.
Hubert Davis

He hasn't done much in the last 2 years. Its not much of a risk though, especially with Lucious really struggling. Pack will probably be sacrificed to make room.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Couldn't hurt to give an extended try-out to Davis. I just hope if Davis is signed, he'll be used in games so fans can find out for themselves what he can do. If they cut Pack, it's not like anybody else will pick him up. And if Pack is picked up and Davis doesn't work out, I'd rather sign an Omar Cook, Erick Barkley or Mateen Cleaves, anyway. Cleaves played with the Kings and their motion offense, so he would seem to be an obvious choice to sign as a Nets back-up PG.

When Davis was traded from the Knicks to make room for Allan Houston, I thought his shot was just as good as Allan Houston's and they had similar games. If anything, Hubert was a bit more versatile. Obviously, that was years ago, but Davis isn't ancient at 33 years of age. A good sign is that he was on IL with a finger problem (probably made up), which is far less worrisome than a leg or back problem.

I watched some of the Kings-Cavs game last night. The motion offense looks a lot better when at least 4 of 5 on the floor are triple-threats (shoot, pass, drive). The Nets need to be able to put at least 2 shooters on the floor at all times, and RJ's shot seems to have fallen off again. If Davis still has his shot, it might be time to try out some 3-guard sets with Kittles and Davis together.

However the roster works out, I hope Kidd will have a good enough back-up so that his PT can go back down to 35 MPG and we won't be subjected any longer to the Harris/Kittles backcourt.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
What to expect from Hubert Davis

Keep in mind I'm talking from my memories of the Knicks' Hubert Davis, which would be about a 26-27 year old version of Hubert, circa 1995. I imagine he's lost a step or two since then.

In the best years of his career, Davis was a 20-25 MPG back-up SG. To be fair, many Knicks fans felt he was better suited than John Starks be the starting SG.

Listed at 6'5, probably closer to 6'4. Think Lucious Harris in body type.

Even young, he was no more than a serviceable NBA athlete. Not explosive. Again, think Lucious Harris.

One of the best shooting forms in the NBA. Think Dell Curry, Alan Houston, etc . . . dare I say, Kyle Korver?

Over-all, he's reliable and fundamentally sound, as you would expect from a North Carolina alum coached by Dean Smith for 4 years. Mechanical, more well-trained and practiced than a natural, smooth ball player.

His offensive game is built on his jump shot. He varies his game with just enough moves, drives and mid-range game so that he's not one-dimensional. He's an above-average passer for an SG and is capable of limited, emergency point duty - think Lucious Harris, again. Davis should NOT be considered a back-up PG.

He isn't a naturally gifted defender, but he tries hard. Then again, he was a Riley Knick when I watched him - that entire team focused on defense. I don't know if he still tries hard on defense.

Basically, I picture Davis as a Harris-sized poor man's Alan Houston. I can't vouch for his current level of lift, quickness, general mobility and over-all athleticism. Since the Riley Knicks didn't play a motion offense, I can't speak to how well he'll adjust to the Nets offense. As a fundamentally sound, intelligent veteran, Davis will probably adjust as well as Harris. The question is how well Davis can move and whether he can still make jumpers with regularity.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Well lets see how it works, but I doubt Scott gets him into the rotation enough to see what he can do.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just realized that Hubert's 2nd 10-day runs out on Sunday, so the Nets need to make a decision on him before Wednesday's game.

I would think that he'll be signed for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
If they sign him for the rest of the season, I hope we'll actually get a good look at his 3-pt shot at some point.

Maybe he is being saved as a Kerr-type secret weapon for the playoffs. Nobody game-plans for Davis because there's no film on him, then he shows up in the postseason raining 3s on packed-in zone defenses.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
If we do sign him for the rest of the year, I hope he atleast tries to shoot more. Thats the thing I think of when I think of what he's good at. I know he hasn't played many minutes, but he's only attempted one shot. He normally plays the ending minutes of a sure win, and I don't really care if he puts up a few shots.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
If they sign him for the rest of the season, I hope we'll actually get a good look at his 3-pt shot at some point.
yea i'd 'really like that too, except armstrong always hogs the ball and takes all the shots. i seriously dont understand why we still keep him, he is absolutely atrocious

Maybe he is being saved as a Kerr-type secret weapon for the playoffs. Nobody game-plans for Davis because there's no film on him, then he shows up in the postseason raining 3s on packed-in zone defenses.
:yes: damn straight!:yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts