Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Randolph should be on the All-Star team," Brown said. "He's one of five or six guys in the league with a 20-10 (averaging 21.3 points and 11 rebounds before Wednesday's game). He's one of the best players in the Western Conference right now."
I sure hope he gets voted in by the coaches. It would be nice to have Portland representation. ALL teams should be represented!

LINK

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Starbury03</b>!
He should be in the all-star game but not ahead of Elton. Elton is too good at D.
This year...yeah, Z-Bo should be ahead of Brand without a doubt. Brand hasn't played the whole year and doesn't deserve to be an all-star.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another All Star reference for Zach:

From Jan 12, 2003:

6. Zach Randolph, PF, Trail Blazers.
All-Star? He quickly has become a dominant big man.

Not an All-Star? It's hard to fit him into the West's forward crowd.

Outlook: It's a toss-up. If he makes it, he will displace a more established player -- Brad Miller or Shawn Marion.
LINK

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
NO he has a huge presence in the game Brnad is the best worker in the post I have ever seen. Brand is my favorite post player ever by the way he plays D and works. He would have same numbers on O but he has Q and Maggs, he doesnt need to score.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
NO he has a huge presence in the game Brnad is the best worker in the post I have ever seen. Brand is my favorite post player ever by the way he plays D and works. He would have same numbers on O but he has Q and Maggs, he doesnt need to score.
Brand was out for awhile and doesn't deserve to go. Others have played well and have proved it. Brand is a very good player but he doesn't deserve it this year. Even guys like Brad Miller and Marion deserve it over Brand. I don't buy the Brand would have better offensive numbers if he didn't play with Q and Maggs theory...thats garbage and doesn't fly whatsoever. Z-Bo has Sheed, Damon, and DA on the team...they all have been scorers in the NBA much longer than Q and Maggs. But Z-Bo still puts up all-star numbers. Really, all of that doesn't matter. The what if's don't apply here.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Brand had a broken foot in the first game and had 25 point 15 rebs and 8 blcks. Brand is the Clips he should be in the game.

·
Basketballboards.net HOF
795 Posts
Anyway you look @ it Zach's numbers make a major impact.

It's true that he needs to work on his defense, but that will come in time.

Hubie is right, Zach deseves at least a reserve role on the West All Star squad.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
He does but I feel Brand should also be there. There should only be 4 guards on the west the rest should be forwards and centers.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little something else: From Jan 20th

Of these, Randolph is probably the toughest to leave off. The 6-foot-9 Blazers forward has been among the league leaders in scoring (21.6) and rebounding (11.2) most of the season. However, he also has struggled defensively all year, been busted for DUI and slumped of late while his team has gone into a tailspin.

Still, Randolph's numbers compare favorably to Nowitzki's, who has struggled with his shooting. It's a close call, and there is no wrong selection. But I'll go with Nowitzki because he is a proven superstar and the best player on one of the league's top teams. Besides, the Mavs deserve to have at least one rep.
LINK

Could a Blazer winning streak tip the scale in Zach's favor?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
No way is Zach getting in ahead of Dirk. I'll happily eat my words if I'm proven wrong, but I seriously doubt I'll be needing to.

Dan

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
No way is Zach getting in ahead of Dirk. I'll happily eat my words if I'm proven wrong, but I seriously doubt I'll be needing to.
Dan
Why not? Zach has outplayed Dirk so far this year. The all-star game should be based on play so far this year. Let's look at a few numbers:

Zach - 21.3 points/gm, 11.0 reb/gm, 2.4 assists/gm, 0.53 blk/gm
Dirk - 21.1 points/gm, 8.8 reb/gm, 2.7 assists/gm, 1.24 blk/gm

But Dirk should definitely get in before Zach huh? I would say Zach has at least as much chance as Dirk.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dkap</b>!
I agree.

Even though Zach is putting up better overall numbers then Dirk (and is more deserving from that standpoint) there is no way the coaches will select him ahead of Nowitzki.

No way.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Enigma</b>!
I agree.

Even though Zach is putting up better overall numbers then Dirk (and is more deserving from that standpoint) there is no way the coaches will select him ahead of Nowitzki.

No way.
Never say never. Yet, the selection process is somewhat of a joke so it wouldn't shock me to see Dirk picked ahead of Zach. Players more deserving than others are left off the team almost every year.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
they need to live in the now then and vote him in. He has better #'s and dirks have come too late in my view. Zach has been a consistent force down low in the west...more than most others. Age is his misgiving i fear though more than anything.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Brand had a broken foot in the first game and had 25 point 15 rebs and 8 blcks. Brand is the Clips he should be in the game.
Frankly, I would take Brand AND Zach over a number of better known players.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
You have to understand, statistics are a very small piece of the puzzle when it comes to All-Star selection, even for the reserves. Being the best player on a less than mediocre team doesn't count for very much, especially in a conference loaded with star players at the same position.

If Zach were popular enough to warrant getting voted in, then as strange as it sounds, he'd have a better shot at making it. However, the coaches are likely to be much more discerning than the fans, and most coaches realize Zach is only half a player at this point. Dirk isn't exactly a defensive stopper, but he isn't as much of a liability as Zach.

Dan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts