Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Nice athletically...

But I don't see a brain in that group, outside of Webster and I'm not sure yet how basketball smart he is....

I'd rather see....

PG Telfair
SG Webster
SF Morrison
PF Zach
C Pryzbilla

Khrapya, Outlaw, Jack, Skinner coming off the bench...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Nice athletically...

But I don't see a brain in that group, outside of Webster and I'm not sure yet how basketball smart he is....

I'd rather see....

PG Telfair
SG Webster
SF Morrison
PF Zach
C Pryzbilla

Khrapya, Outlaw, Jack, Skinner coming off the bench...

Actually Telfair, Webster and Joel seem to have pretty high basketball IQ's. Morrison certainly has one as well, but Thomas is just so dominating in the paint. I also don't see how you can insinuate that he isn't smart. The guy is a hell of a defender and shot blocker. I would assume that takes a little smarts.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
mediocre man said:
Actually Telfair, Webster and Joel seem to have pretty high basketball IQ's. Morrison certainly has one as well, but Thomas is just so dominating in the paint. I also don't see how you can insinuate that he isn't smart. The guy is a hell of a defender and shot blocker. I would assume that takes a little smarts.
I don't think because someone is a good defender or shot blocker makes them a smart ball player...

BTW, I think Jack and Blake are both much more smart ball players than Telfair....

Look at how much basketball IQ they got on that Spurs team....

or the Pistons team with Rip and Billups...

basketball smarts wins games, you can't just throw some athletes out there...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I don't think because someone is a good defender or shot blocker makes them a smart ball player...

BTW, I think Jack and Blake are both much more smart ball players than Telfair....

Look at how much basketball IQ they got on that Spurs team....

or the Pistons team with Rip and Billups...

basketball smarts wins games, you can't just throw some athletes out there...

I agree with you about basketball smarts being important. I also agree with you about Blake and Jack being smart although not smarter than Telair just more experienced.

So tell me who would win this game.

12 Steve Kerr's vs 12 Amare Stoudemires

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Joel with the Block...

Telfair on the Break

Tyrus and Travis fill the lanes

Webster trailing the break
zagsfan20 said:
...I don't see a brain in that group, outside of Webster and I'm not sure yet how basketball smart he is....

I'd rather see....

PG Telfair
SG Webster
SF Morrison
PF Zach
C Pryzbilla
Your option uses some of the players that you just said don't have brains.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
mediocre man said:
I agree with you about basketball smarts being important. I also agree with you about Blake and Jack being smart although not smarter than Telair just more experienced.

So tell me who would win this game.

12 Steve Kerr's vs 12 Amare Stoudemires
how about 12 larry birds vs 12 amare stoudemires, since we should at least have a level playing field (talent wise).

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
As much as i love gonzaga and adam morrison i think we need to make some major changes to the team.We need to make some changes that get theo,miles,z-bo,out of here i would love to see tyrus thomas on the team.I only see 4 players we should look at morrison,roy,baragni,thomas.Tyrus is a awesome name too.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
Your option uses some of the players that you just said don't have brains.
Its okay to mix up smart players with athletic players....

In fact its the perfect mix...

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Hap said:
how about 12 larry birds vs 12 amare stoudemires, since we should at least have a level playing field (talent wise).

Not what I was going for at all. The post wasn't talent vs brains, it was brains vs no brains. Although I don't think Stoudemire is brainless by any means, I do think you also need to have talent. If Morrison is both then draft him immediately. If he is just average but has a high b-ball IQ like say Blake Stepp or dan Dickau then I'd rather have The talented one.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
mediocre man said:
Not what I was going for at all. The post wasn't talent vs brains, it was brains vs no brains. Although I don't think Stoudemire is brainless by any means, I do think you also need to have talent. If Morrison is both then draft him immediately. If he is just average but has a high b-ball IQ like say Blake Stepp or dan Dickau then I'd rather have The talented one.
true, but I don't think that Morrison is just average like Dickau.

did you mean brooke steppe?

He's not a super athletic freak, but he's not an earth bound steve kerr type player. I say this based on the fact that, say, for Kerr's senior year he made 114 three pointers. And 37 2 point baskets.

Thats basically someone who has found his nitch, and stuck with it. Same with Dickau, who made 117 three pointers his senior year, and 78 2 pointers. Whereas Morrison made 74 three pointers, and 232 2 pointers. And JJ made 139 3's, and 163 2 pointers.

So, unlike those other guys (and to a lesser degree JJ) he's not just a 3 point shooter who's just smart.

He had 3 times as many 2 point FG's as he did 3 pointers.

I get what you're saying, but since the debate always turns into Bonzi vs Stackhouse...er...Green vs Webster...err.. Morrison vs anyone I felt that we should at least include someone who wasn't just a 3 point spot up shooter.

here's the #'s for someone I think is a valid (altho not 100% accurate, as no comparison is) comparson to Morrison.

His senior year he had 69 3's, and 178 2 pointers. (this would be reggie miller)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Basketball smarts is different than what you do in the classroom...
If "smarts" = intellegence then "classroom smarts" would indeed transfer to the Basketball court as well IMHO. Intellegence will inhance both the developement of and use of skill and athleticism if compared with another who has less "smarts" and of equal skill or athleticism.

gatorpops

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.