Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull112.html

Jay Williams also is technically on the injured list, despite the fact he and the Bulls have agreed on a settlement for the remainder of his contract. The Bulls are likely to wait until after the Feb. 19 trading deadline before officially removing Williams from the roster. It's possible Williams' contract can be included in a trade to a team looking to clear some cap room.
Can someone explain this to me? Apparently I don't understand how a buyout works. How can we buyout the remainder of his contract but then turn around and trade him to a team to clear some cap room? I don't get it.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought when you bought out a contract it essentially made the player involved a free agent able to sign with anyone whenever they are able to play.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
I thought when you bought out a contract it essentially made the player involved a free agent able to sign with anyone whenever they are able to play.
It does, but they haven't actually executed the agreement yet. They've just got all the paperwork ready to go.

Further, it sounds like what they might want to do it trade him, with the agreement that the team that receives him will then execute the pre-agreed upon buyout, thus clearing some major cap room.

This sounds fishy to me... If I were the union boss (or his counsel), I'd be putting a lot of pressure on the league to avoid this kind of precedent. But like I said, I didn't think the Bulls would be able to terminate his deal and get him off the books in the first place, so it's not like I haven't been wrong before.

If the Bulls really can do this, they really ought to be able to pull out a decent trade. Between Jay and Fizer's (effectively) ending deals (and Pip, if he were to agree to retire), they've suddenly got quite a lot of ammunition in the form of expiring contracts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts