Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about the AE than I have for some time ..... from what I hear... Nero...the new AE commisioner from Maine has tremendous vision and goals....there are many things being talked about that I can not broach publicly, but certainly make me feel much better about our direction.

I think the high level of coaches that the AE is bringing in across the board...not just basketball...the vision of the new commish....and the impending down the road Bid East conference shakeup brings some bright future to this conference....

·
Premium Member
33,357 Posts
lsbal said:
about the AE than I have for some time ..... from what I hear... Nero...the new AE commisioner from Maine has tremendous vision and goals....there are many things being talked about that I can not broach publicly, but certainly make me feel much better about our direction.

I think the high level of coaches that the AE is bringing in across the board...not just basketball...the vision of the new commish....and the impending down the road Bid East conference shakeup brings some bright future to this conference....
Agreed, and I like the efforts and committment to success made by each member school as well. The SUNY school's have really impressed me in terms of coming on board and competing quickly. If every school is on the same page, which I do not think has been the case in the past, things will hopefully continue to improve.

The Athletics Deprtament at UVM was considered an afterthought for a long time, with the exception of the Hockey team- but when the hazing scandal on the hockey team occurred, UVM was on ESPN for the first time for all the wrong reasons. The sports program was at rock bottom.

Fast forward to today, we have a president and athletic director committed to winning because they understand the importance of succesful sports teams to the school and local communities, and also the economic benefits and positive overall culture. As John Wooden said,"Sports do not build character. They reveal it"

They have the right coaches in place, and UVM has recently built one of the nicest, state-of-the-art workout facilities for its varsity players in the northeast.

-Good things, good things.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Wow, Isbal. Your post was contagious. I felt after great reading.

Save for the rumblings in Boston about BU positioning themselves for a move, I agree with everyone that it seems like the league's members are all taking positive steps to improve their respective programs. I'm still holding out hope that by the time the Big East hammer does fall, the league's members will have done enough to improve their individual programs and the league's stature to make joining the AE seem like a plausible option, at the very least, for URI and UMass. Those two schools, plus the current membership (with our without BU), would make for one incredible northestern conference.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Urban Barrister said:

Save for the rumblings in Boston about BU positioning themselves for a move, I agree with everyone that it seems like the league's members are all taking positive steps to improve their respective programs. I'm still holding out hope that by the time the Big East hammer does fall, the league's members will have done enough to improve their individual programs and the league's stature to make joining the AE seem like a plausible option, at the very least, for URI and UMass. Those two schools, plus the current membership (with our without BU), would make for one incredible northestern conference.
BU moving up to a big east, or another bigger Conference would be a positive step to better their respective program. Just not the America east.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
mainejeff said:
Try dominating AE first before you tackle Villanova, Georgetown, Temple, Xavier, etc.......

Funny MaineJeff, when it comes to drawing crowds to BU at the next level, you always mention St. Bonnie, Duquense, LaSalle... but in terms of who we have to compete with it's Nova, Georgetown, Temple and Xavier...

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Well, I'm assuming that Boston U would end up in a league with some of those schools because if it's St. Bonaventure, LaSalle, Duquesne, Fordham, etc. we're talking about......you guys ain't going nowhere. Right?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
mainejeff said:
Try dominating AE first before you tackle Villanova, Georgetown, Temple, Xavier, etc.......
What is with the Bitterness towards BU all the time? Look, BU moving to a bigger conference like the Big East would be better for advancing their program, there is no argument against it. With Wolff at the helm, BU has been able to consistently put together a winning program every year like clockwork (4 straight 20 win seasons and counting). Their recruits are also getting better and better. Don't be bitter just because maine has never done anything in basketball.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Urban Barrister said:

UB,

While that scenario would certainly be a boon to the AE (adding UMass & URI)--and it makes a lot of sense--it has 0% chance of happening.

UMass and URI have a longer tradition of DI ball than the SUNYs, and therefore a higher opinion of themselves as to where they see themselves fitting into a conference landscape. As flagship universities who have seen success (maybe not now, but in the past) at a national level, the chance of convincing either of them to take a step downward (and let's not kid ourselves, even if the AE improves its profile, it will still be a step downward from the Big East and A10 in their best times) is extremely low.

Remember, URI used to be affiliated with the AE (before the name change, I believe). Why would they take a step backward? The only thing that I see altering this is if the state decreased their support of the program to a point where it made financial sense to make such a move. There's a huge snob factor going on here. I honestly don't see them doing it. However, if one higher profile team DID join the AE, I see that as an opening for others to follow. But the AE's MO has been to add low RPI newbees, not solid DI teams. I would be a great thing if the new administration could change that.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BBallDog said:
UB,

While that scenario would certainly be a boon to the AE (adding UMass & URI)--and it makes a lot of sense--it has 0% chance of happening.

But the AE's MO has been to add low RPI newbees, not solid DI teams. I would be a great thing if the new administration could change that.

BBallDog doesn't believe our new man has any vision.....not a believer? Get on board.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
lsbal -

You know I respect your views 100%, I just think Nero has people tilting at windmills right now. Some of the things he wants to do for the league are just so far fetched it's unreasonable.

AE Football? Come on, you had your chance.

AE Hockey? Nice try, not happening.

URI and UMassa? They'll join the CAA before the AE if they leave the A-10.

Now, from a tactical point of view, Nero can make improvements to make the league better as I'm not convinced that the Tan Man was a good tactician.

If you want to give a commissioner credit for the SUNY schools maturing and UVM and UNH realizing that they can have the success that Maine has had (in most sports) without sacrificing academics, then I guess Nero can take it.

I think the AE is in a stage where the SUNYs are coming into their own, and the league is stronger for it - but to give Nero credit for his "vision" I think is a bit overcomplimentary.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NU Hoop Fan said:
lsbal -

I think the AE is in a stage where the SUNYs are coming into their own, and the league is stronger for it - but to give Nero credit for his "vision" I think is a bit overcomplimentary.

NU....Lets just say that the AE is now heading in much more of a proactive direction than a reactive one. And lets just say the AE was LUCKY...I mean real dumb luck that the Suny schools fell in to their lap at the perfect time. This was not vision. The new AE guy...whether he gets all of his agenda accomplished or not...at least has goals that are far superior to our previous administration and the connections to further the processes along. I am not saying that even one of these many goals becomes reality but I feel much more comfortable that they will now at least be trying and putting the AE hat in the ring. Who knows what will happen come conference implosion time,etc...but I feel much better knowing we have a guy fighting and proactively planning for us.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
lsbal said:
NU....Lets just say that the AE is now heading in much more of a proactive direction than a reactive one. And lets just say the AE was LUCKY...I mean real dumb luck that the Suny schools fell in to their lap at the perfect time. This was not vision. The new AE guy...whether he gets all of his agenda accomplished or not...at least has goals that are far superior to our previous administration and the connections to further the processes along. I am not saying that even one of these many goals becomes reality but I feel much more comfortable that they will now at least be trying and putting the AE hat in the ring. Who knows what will happen come conference implosion time,etc...but I feel much better knowing we have a guy fighting and proactively planning for us.
I think this is the key. The guy may have a long wish list, but the fact that he's wishing and dreaming at all seems to be a new concept. If the conference doesn't push hard, it will never acheive anything.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I agree.
I'd rather have an ambitious agenda that advances the league than be satisfied with the status quo in which we are counted as a nonentity.
Just the fact that we're debating whether our tournament champ will have to do a play in to get to the NCAA should tell us we need to work to get better.

However, I still don't see AE football happening.
Too costly to start back up.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
reeder said:
Would be nice if we knew what the wishes and dreams were.

I think he needs to share his vision...
Much of his vision happens in back rooms with schools and presidents and would only be made public by .....talk....and leaks...I think there are many goals that he has for the conference that will probably be shared publicly (if he deems that it is politically correct to do so) and the rest are extensive talks and wheeling and dealing that the public would only get through grapevine info.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
BBallDog said:
UB,
Remember, URI used to be affiliated with the AE (before the name change, I believe).

Point of clarification - URI was never a member of the America East Conference or its predeccessor, the NAC. URI joined the Eastern-8 (which later became the Atlantic 10) in 1981. URI had been a part of the ECAC umbrella prior to that. The ECAC was a loose association of schools in the northeast that was broken into regions. URI was in the New England region along with many other schools such as PC, BC, UConn, Holy Cross, Maine, UVM, UNH, BU, and Fairfield. The ECAC began to fall apart when many schools left to form the Big East. Rhode Island was right behind them joining the Eastern-8 the following year. Prior to the ECAC, Rhody for decades belonged to the all sports Yankee Conference which comprised all the New England flagship state universities.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ginzo said:
What is with the Bitterness towards BU all the time? Look, BU moving to a bigger conference like the Big East would be better for advancing their program, there is no argument against it. With Wolff at the helm, BU has been able to consistently put together a winning program every year like clockwork (4 straight 20 win seasons and counting). Their recruits are also getting better and better. Don't be bitter just because maine has never done anything in basketball.
I can't understand why Boston University would leave the AE Conference.......I really don't....it's similar to the way I scratched my head when I heard Northeastern was leaving.

While I happen to think a 'Terrier exit' would be terrible for the conference (it's the only remaining member inside a major U.S City), I also feel that it'd be bad for B.U. since they'd be forfeiting the advantages they have against their conference foes........advantages they've worked hard to attain and won't be so easy to foster against major private schools in major U.S. Cities in a larger conference.

And let's not forget.......the move toward a larger conference without baseball and football programs is gonna' be an inherent strike against them.

·
Premium Member
33,357 Posts
Put In Rickard said:
I can't understand why Boston University would leave the AE Conference.......I really don't....it's similar to the way I scratched my head when I heard Northeastern was leaving.

While I happen to think a 'Terrier exit' would be terrible for the conference (it's the only remaining member inside a major U.S City), I also feel that it'd be bad for B.U. since they'd be forfeiting the advantages they have against their conference foes........advantages they've worked hard to attain and won't be so easy to foster against major private schools in major U.S. Cities in a larger conference.

And let's not forget.......the move toward a larger conference without baseball and football programs is gonna' be an inherent strike against them.
You know, I have thought about this too....initially, I was bummed when the first four left (Hofstra, Drexel, Delaware, and Towson) left, bummed when I found out NU was leaving (great natural rivlary between my school and NU, which was good for the league). I would also be upset if BU chose to leave, but totally understand why they would want to move to the A-10 or Big East, that is perfectly understandable. It is a natural progression.

But at the end of the day, I don't care. Leave. In fact, please do. I don't care if Savannah State comes into the AE, it really doesn't matter to me.

Why?

As long as the AE has one automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, that is really all that matters, because I have enjoyed watching my team play in the NCAA tournament and with a BU and Northeastern leaving each year, it makes the possbility of my school dancing increase. I like when my school dances.

Leave. Do it. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
RF1 said:
Point of clarification - URI was never a member of the America East Conference or its predeccessor, the NAC. URI joined the Eastern-8 (which later became the Atlantic 10) in 1981. URI had been a part of the ECAC umbrella prior to that. The ECAC was a loose association of schools in the northeast that was broken into regions. URI was in the New England region along with many other schools such as PC, BC, UConn, Holy Cross, Maine, UVM, UNH, BU, and Fairfield. The ECAC began to fall apart when many schools left to form the Big East. Rhode Island was right behind them joining the Eastern-8 the following year. Prior to the ECAC, Rhody for decades belonged to the all sports Yankee Conference which comprised all the New England flagship state universities.
Thanks for the clarification--I knew they were affiliated some way in the past with most of the core AE schools (Maine, UNH, BU).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts