Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Malone and Stockton have been two of the best players in the league now for a long time and have yet to win a championship. If it weren't for those pesky bulls or the fact that the best player they ever played with was Jeff Hornacek. Now don't get me wrong, Hornacek was a good player, but all they needed was one more all star on their team and they could have one a championship, but now they will forever be underrated. I think they were the best of the teams that lost to Bulls for whatever thats worth.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I don't, Malone has been a jerk his entire career, both on and especially off the court w/ his comments. Plus both players did some sketchy screens w/ lots of elbows .

It may have been nice to see stockton get a ring, but I'm glad malone never won anything.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by KennethTo
I don't, Malone has been a jerk his entire career, both on and especially off the court w/ his comments. Plus both players did some sketchy screens w/ lots of elbows .

It may have been nice to see stockton get a ring, but I'm glad malone never won anything.
I completely agree, Malone is a little punk who doesn't know how to get it done in the clutch.. Stockton is cool but I can't stand Malone, he thinks he is the greatest thing ever put on earth.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't, Malone has been a jerk his entire career, both on and especially off the court w/ his comments
Untrue. You shouldn't make statements like that if you don't know enough about a player to make that judgement. Karl Malone may not be perfect but he your critism is unjustified and out of line. He usually complains every summer but at least his comments are usually basketball related. Other than that he seems to be a genuine nice guy off the court. The Sporting News put him on their good guy list for his community service. He tries to stay anonymous in a lot of the things he does. Their are many stories of people who Karl Malone has personally delivered needed items too. I have heard 4-5 people call local sports radio station shows and tell stories of how Karl personally came and gave them something they needed like a handicap equipped van. None of these even got local press coverage let alone national press and would not be known if the reciepant hadn't came forward.

On the court I can understand the comments about Stockton and Malone but remember most players and fans would have an entirely different view of their play if they were on the same side.

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Malone is a very dirty basketball player. When he goes for his left handed lay-ups he is very good at kicking his legs up and trying to hit someone in the ribs. He has broken a few people's ribs while doing that. He is always elbowing and pushing in the post. He is someone that has a had a nice career even tho he didn't win an NBA title. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Originally posted by allenive21
Malone is a very dirty basketball player. When he goes for his left handed lay-ups he is very good at kicking his legs up and trying to hit someone in the ribs. He has broken a few people's ribs while doing that. He is always elbowing and pushing in the post. He is someone that has a had a nice career even tho he didn't win an NBA title. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

Yeah, but IMO Reggie kicks his legs when he shoots too. He draws tons of fouls doing that. I'm glad that Reggie hasn't won one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well it all could have came down to 1 damngame for Malone, Stockton and Reggie. Game 7 of the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals, Indianas up by double digits mid-way though the 4th quarter, if the refs would have let MJ go out beaten like he was being beaten by the Pacers then it would have been an Indiana vs. Utah Finals and either Malone and Stockton or Reggie would have gotten their rings. And you know that game had to be set up, Pacers up by double digits mid-way through the 4th, they had Chicago beat, the NBA wouldnt allow a Utah vs. Indiana Finals, Utah was like the NBA smallest market and Indiana was a top 12 smallest market, when they had the #3 market Bulls and MJ in his final season. Sounds similar to this years Western Conference Finals huh?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Well it all could have came down to 1 damngame for Malone, Stockton and Reggie. Game

I'm a huge Bulls fan, but after watching the Kings-Lakers game (rooting for the Kings), I can see why you were disappointed.

Oh well, Bulls won anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by allenive21
I love Stockton, don't get me wrong, but he's very dirty. You have to watch him off the ball. He tosses elbows fighting thorough screens. He grabs the jersey of his man. Don't get me wrong, he is also one of the best defenders ever (steals leader), but calling Malone dirty, and not giving it to Stockton is bad.

To be fair to Malone, I remember when he didn't settle for the 12 foot fade aways. He used to have great game. Now, he's just straight sissy.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Originally posted by *NSYNC
Well it all could have came down to 1 damngame for Malone, Stockton and Reggie. Game 7 of the 1998 Eastern Conference Finals, Indianas up by double digits mid-way though the 4th quarter, if the refs would have let MJ go out beaten like he was being beaten by the Pacers then it would have been an Indiana vs. Utah Finals and either Malone and Stockton or Reggie would have gotten their rings. And you know that game had to be set up, Pacers up by double digits mid-way through the 4th, they had Chicago beat, the NBA wouldnt allow a Utah vs. Indiana Finals, Utah was like the NBA smallest market and Indiana was a top 12 smallest market, when they had the #3 market Bulls and MJ in his final season. Sounds similar to this years Western Conference Finals huh?
Totally agree. It has always been set up so the bigger market wins. Name one of the 10 smallest market teams that has won a championship since David Stern became whatver he is.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
stockton's not really close to being one of the best defenders ever. a great player, but don't let the steals record fool you into thinking he was a great defender.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts

:laugh:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Totally agree. It has always been set up so the bigger market wins. Name one of the 10 smallest market teams that has won a championship since David Stern became whatver he is.
There have been quite a few small market teams to make the Finals the past 15 or so years, Portland, New Jersey, Indiana, and Orlando, but the only small market team to win the title in that time has been San Antonio.

·
Registered
293 Posts

I agree...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by kflo
stockton's not really close to being one of the best defenders ever. a great player, but don't let the steals record fool you into thinking he was a great defender.
I know it doesn't mean everything, but how can your steals number not be reflective of your defensive ability? Please elaborate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
of courase he is one of the best defenders of all time! you dont set the all time steals record, and by as much as he has it by and not eb a great defender, his smaller size never allowed him to be a great 1 on 1 defender(although im sure he was pretty good in his prime) but hes been giving opposing post up players nightmares for 18 years!

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
that's right. he's not a great one-on-one defender. he gets lots of steals, but his man scores points and often does what he wants on the floor. steals don't make you a great defender. magic twice led the league beating out guys like moncrief, who was a much better defender.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts