Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Basketballboards.net HOF
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I know that Rasheed had been falling out of favor with the Blazers management and their focus had shifted to Zach to build the team around.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
maybe tradeable... I know its a touchy subject, and Zach is popular

How about Zach and maybe DA? (some package) for Paul Pierce?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I wouldn't think so. Trading Wallace makes Zach our PF for next season. Besides, Zach seems to be learning a bit more offensively and with his attitude and work ethic I think he has a chance in a couple of years to be an average defensive player- and that would be good for him.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
I disagree. It's SAR.
you could have a point there. Rahim has certainly been around the NBA longer, and definitely plays better defense. he's also a far superior passer and decision maker.

any way you look at it, you should be able to pencil in 40 points and 18 boards from these two guys every night, which we certainly couldn't say when we had Wallace.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
any way you look at it, you should be able to pencil in 40 points and 18 boards from these two guys every night, which we certainly couldn't say when we had Wallace.
how many points can you pencil in for the opposing teams forward positions? 50?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
how many teams really feature a tandom of forwards who are capable of doing that? the Kings, the Mavs, Indiana, maybe the Spurs on a good night.

don't get me wrong--SAR/Zach is truly a bad defensive tandem. but Ratliff will clean up some of the mistakes, and there just aren't that many other forward tandems out there who are going to outscore those two.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>el_Diablo</b>!

how many points can you pencil in for the opposing teams forward positions? 50?
Reminds me of the old saying about money... it's not what you make, it's what you keep. You know how some posters list all the point guards that have gone off for career highs vs Damon, unfortunately I feel that this will now extend to opposing forwards as well. Reef has been in the league almost as long as Sheed, guess how many winning teams he's been on?

I see mediocre and boring written all over this team now, and not much potencial to be excited about until 2005. Essencially trading their best player for not much in the short term and ZERO added for the future, doesn't inspire my hopes for Nash and Co handling Free Agency roulette well either.

The squeeky wheel contingent finally got their bland grease... enjoy!

STOMP

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have doubts about Z-bo. For one you have to realize he's on rookie contract and players at this time are proving themselves. They give 100% and work on their game. He puts up great numbers but I thought sheed was more valueable to this team.

He has great offensive game. But he's defense is suspect & he doesn't make his team mates much better. He's height also is a disadvantage and I can't see him taking games over.

He's character is also suspect. Didn't he have problems with the law before the nba? How about the stopage for driving under influence? Or punching a held teammate? If I recall sheed didn't have any character problems during he's early years.

How will he's work ethic change when he gets max contract? Could he be baker all over again?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I'm not convinced that Portland's really committed to having ZR as the franchise player... we'll have to see what happens when SAR steps in.

If he's a consistent offensive force, which Rasheed was not, he will take shots and points from ZR, which will be interesting to see how ZR reacts to. SAR will also almost certainly get more defensive rebounds than Rasheed did, which will eat into ZR's numbers, as well.

If Portland can get an excellent deal for ZR, they should look at doing so, but even short of that I'm not sure it makes sense for them to play Zach up as the franchise's sole keystone.

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I'm really hoping SAR was just a mediocre defender because of a lack of motivation. he's been playing in the NBA wastelands for so long that it's hard to get excited about being a great defender.

just a hope.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Does it?

SAR has been an All Star and has produced big numbers for many years.

I'm actually confused as to who our best player is now.

Zach has a chance to show us he's a leader by leading us to a win tonight.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
IS ZACH DA MAN?

No, he is just the new designated scapegoat.

I knew this was coming, but I have to admit I was shocked at HOW FAST it occured. I log on today, and half the posts/threads are some variation on "trade Zach!"

I weep for the future of this franchise.:cry:

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Re: IS ZACH DA MAN?

Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!
No, he is just the new designated scapegoat.

I knew this was coming, but I have to admit I was shocked at HOW FAST it occured. I log on today, and half the posts/threads are some variation on "trade Zach!"

I weep for the future of this franchise.:cry:
You and me both...I can't believe some of these fans on this site, we finally get a young star and we want to send him pakcing immediately....baffles the mind.....and reguarding the topic thread, ZR is the franchise, no way its SAR.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm so much interested in sending Zach packing... but it is a legitimate question as to whether or not he can learn to play defense. Also, offensively he has a lot to learn as well (passing out of double teams...). On the one hand I really like the way he tries to get better. On the other hand, while he has made huge strides on offense, he's made virtually none on defense- and it's defense that makes the world go round in this NBA.

If we could get a more established PF that plays good defense, I would think we should consider a trade. Why not?

But he is at least a few years away from being a franchise player.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Here is the problem I have with the "trade Zach" talk.

Right now, Zach and SAR have roughly equal value. SAR is at his peak; Zach can still get better and his work ethic makes it likely that he will. Also, Zach has the more "cap friendly" contract.

When we are sadled with players like Damon, DA, and DD (who should take a mask and a gun when he collects his paycheck), why rush to trade a GOOD player?

If we *must* make another deal, which I think is a fallacy, I would give up SAR before Zach. Since we aren't going anywhere this season anyway, I would not trade either.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!
Here is the problem I have with the "trade Zach" talk.

Right now, Zach and SAR have roughly equal value. SAR is at his peak; Zach can still get better and his work ethic makes it likely that he will. Also, Zach has the more "cap friendly" contract.
I don't see ZR having similar trade value to SAR... Shareef was just traded purely for cap space. Zach should be worth significantly more because of his age and his low contract amount.

IF Zach's only value would be to get an expiring contract, then I agree we shouldn't trade him. I think that he could potentially net us an all-star or all-star caliber player that's on a long-term (expensive) deal.

Now, ZR's an all-star caliber player himself, and only 23, so why move him? Because we currently have two 4's that are at about the same level, and if we can get a player of a similar caliber at another position, the team will probably be better off for it.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I agree with Ed, we shouldn't trade ZR unless we get an allstar in return (Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, TMAC:love: etc).

Nash even said our roster is unbalanced now and he might look to fix it.

There really isn't a rush to do anything ZBo's value will be the same in the offseason plus we'll know a little more about all our players so I don't think we should be in a rush to do a move.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I actually think that a package consisting of Z-Bo could land a pretty good player, if not an all-star player. Zach could be included with, Damon, Rueben or Dale as filler to nab a player of really decent skills.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts