Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That I know will probably open up a new can of worms on this board but is everyone 100% comfortable with Delonte being the starting guard going forward, I am not too sure because these last two game he was getting beasted by Hinrich, and James, and I am pretty sure you can put up 40 for Arenas tonight before the game even starts, I like Delonte, but if you could go and get a veteran point guard like a Speedy Claxton or Mike James, or if somehow we ended up drafting a point guard like Marcus Williams wouldn't you at least open up the competition in training camp and let the better man be your starter?

·
**** the clippers
16,458 Posts
i love Delonte cuz of his offense, but his D does need work, yes. But i give less of a **** cuz we're screwed and our season's over. Go Kings

Either refrain from using curse-words or do not mask the word if you do wish to use it.

- Premier

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Hmm...Me being the big West fan that I am, I'll take what your saying in. West does let opposing guards score a little too much. His on man defense needs to be sharpened a little, but overrall his D is pretty nice. I would like to see a battle at the point guard position though. If West can improve his game this summer to come back and be the best possible option, you won't hear me complain. At the same time, if someone new or old can come and and give the team more of what we need, West would be great off the bench along with Gerald and Tony.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
KingHandles said:
Hmm...Me being the big West fan that I am, I'll take what your saying in. West does let opposing guards score a little too much. His on man defense needs to be sharpened a little, but overrall his D is pretty nice. I would like to see a battle at the point guard position though. If West can improve his game this summer to come back and be the best possible option, you won't hear me complain. At the same time, if someone new or old can come and and give the team more of what we need, West would be great off the bench along with Gerald and Tony.
Very well said!

It would be awesome to have a veteran PG that could start and distribute to the stars and then have Delonte come in and provide some scoring. Having Delonte, Gerald and Tony off the bench would be a sign that the team has some serious depth and could be a strong playoff team. :cheers:

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,186 Posts
I feel that Delonte is a great third guard and backup PG (at this stage in the game). If Boston could trade for Troy Hudson in the offseason (by unloading Dickau?) or draft Rajon Rondo I'd be pleased.

·
Premium Member
26,981 Posts
HKF said:
I feel that Delonte is a great third guard and backup PG (at this stage in the game). If Boston could trade for Troy Hudson in the offseason (by unloading Dickau?) or draft Rajon Rondo I'd be pleased.
I'm not wild about Hudson, he's spent too much time in post-op for my comfort. I'd rather see them draft someone like Randy Foye. Boston doesn't use a point guard in a traditional sense because the offense runs through Pierce. And if they do trade Pierce to Chicago it's (likely) going to be for a package including Hinrich, which amounts to the same thing.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
In the guard rotation, I still see Delonte as more of a shooting guard. He functions more that way.
If we can get a killer PG, I say we do it. Delonte will still get minutes.
He's earned them.

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
I think Randy Foye, on a team besides the Celtics, would be a perfect third-guard, backing up the starting point guard and shooting guard. I don't know what his role would be on the Celtics, though, as West has the undersized shooting guard role locked down. If we do draft Foye, our two "point guards" would be 6'4" and under scorers.

About Delonte, I think he'll be a really good third-guard. He can be a starter at either guard position until Pierce signs somewhere else/is traded because he doesn't have to really act as the offensive initiator.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ehmunro said:
I'm not wild about Hudson, he's spent too much time in post-op for my comfort. I'd rather see them draft someone like Randy Foye. Boston doesn't use a point guard in a traditional sense because the offense runs through Pierce. And if they do trade Pierce to Chicago it's (likely) going to be for a package including Hinrich, which amounts to the same thing.
The reason they don't use a PG in the traditional sense is becuase they've never had one. Look at the guards they've had: West, Banks, Delk, James, Bremer, etc. None of them were true PGs. Plus they had Walker who dominated the ball. I think that a Marcus Williams would really help this team. I don't see Foye being that help becuase hes not a true PG being that he also dominates the ball. The only two PG that I see as somewhat true are Williams and Rondo and even Rondo reminds me a bit too much of Banks. I look at this draft in that the Celtics are in almost the same spot as Atlanta was last year. In my mind they are loaded on the wings with Pierce, Wally, Allen, Green, West and Greene. They're also pretty much set at the forward posistion with Perk and Raef at center and Al and Gomes at PF with Scali backing them up. While I think West could eventually develop into a very nice PG, I think that Marcus Williams could have an almost Chris Paul effect on the Celtics (almost). Becuase of that what the Celtics should be looking for in this draft is Williams and just that.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BostonBasketball said:
The reason they don't use a PG in the traditional sense is becuase they've never had one. Look at the guards they've had: West, Banks, Delk, James, Bremer, etc. None of them were true PGs. Plus they had Walker who dominated the ball. I think that a Marcus Williams would really help this team. I don't see Foye being that help becuase hes not a true PG being that he also dominates the ball. The only two PG that I see as somewhat true are Williams and Rondo and even Rondo reminds me a bit too much of Banks. I look at this draft in that the Celtics are in almost the same spot as Atlanta was last year. In my mind they are loaded on the wings with Pierce, Wally, Allen, Green, West and Greene. They're also pretty much set at the forward posistion with Perk and Raef at center and Al and Gomes at PF with Scali backing them up. While I think West could eventually develop into a very nice PG, I think that Marcus Williams could have an almost Chris Paul effect on the Celtics (almost). Becuase of that what the Celtics should be looking for in this draft is Williams and just that.
Nice Post, I really like Williams, that is why I asked that question, it seems that there just aren't a lot of natural point guards these days, most of the guards are combo guards, guards that are more scorers than distributors, and I agree we have more than enough wing players, just what this team does not need is a Carney, or Roy, or Foye for that matter, my next question is say we end up with the 7-8-9 pick is that too early to take Williams or do you look to trade down and take him.

·
Premium Member
26,981 Posts
BostonBasketball said:
The reason they don't use a PG in the traditional sense is becuase they've never had one.
And why then did Rivers push the Magic to get rid of Chucky Atkins and draft shooting guards (namely Jerryl Sasser & Reece Gaines) to replace him? It's because his offensive set doesn't use a "pure point guard". It has nothing to do with the guards Boston has and everything to do with the offensive philosophies of the coach and DBO.

BostonBasketball said:
Look at the guards they've had: West, Banks, Delk, James, Bremer, etc. None of them were true PGs.
Forgetting the Wallace years, briefly, when Ainge took over his first act was to draft Banks, followed shortly by the signing of Mike James. After the James signing he was asked about the lack of a "real point guard" and why he'd passed over Ridnour, his answer was that teams weren't really looking for "pure point guards" anymore. They wanted guards with complete games. He pointed out that this wasn't some new change, that it started on the Celtic teams of his youth, and the rest of the NBA had been moving that way since. When he nearly traded Pierce to the Bulls during the 2004 draft his target was Ben Gordon, not exactly the pure point guard type. The truth is that the Celtics aren't looking for a guard to run the offense, that's Pierce's job at the moment (and that only changes if/when they deal P-2). Bremer, Delk, James, et al flourished under O'Brien because his hideous offensive set didn't use a point guard either, all that they needed from the 1 was a guard that could shoot and get the ball across half court, and Rivers offense has that in common with O'Brien's.

BostonBasketball said:
I think that a Marcus Williams would really help this team.
Well, I suppose if they rename the Garden the Circuit City Center he'd get a lot of steals. :bsmile:

BostonBasketball said:
I don't see Foye being that help becuase hes not a true PG being that he also dominates the ball.
So does Pierce. Should they get rid of him? Rivers offense is designed to produce open high percentage shots for his finishers, and uses Pierce as an attack the rim player, which is what Foye would do in a secondary role. Also, as Kyle Lowry did almost all the ballhandling for 'Nova I'm not sure where you got the impression that Foye "dominated" it.

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
ehmunro said:
And why then did Rivers push the Magic to get rid of Chucky Atkins and draft shooting guards (namely Jerryl Sasser & Reece Gaines) to replace him? It's because his offensive set doesn't use a "pure point guard". It has nothing to do with the guards Boston has and everything to do with the offensive philosophies of the coach and DBO.
That's why I think Boston is going to end up with Mardy Collins or Ronnie Brewer if Doc remains the coach considering his fetish with tall combo guards.

Well, I suppose if they rename the Garden the Circuit City Center he'd get a lot of steals.
Is it too early to dub it as "Laptop-Gate"

EH, how do you feel about Kyle Lowry, then? He was the most important guard in Villanova's roster, in my opinion. Foye lacks Lowry's defense, speed, and passing ability (which strikingly resembles Raymond Felton). I'm pretty excited about two first-rounders next season.

·
Premium Member
26,981 Posts
Premier said:
That's why I think Boston is going to end up with Mardy Collins or Ronnie Brewer if Doc remains the coach considering his fetish with tall combo guards.
It's the reason I think it will be Foye or Roy (or Gabe Pruitt in the second round if he enters and stays in the draft). Foye's the same height as West, but with a better handle and far more athletic. Roy probably has Rivers wetting his knickers, he's a non-psycho Ricky with a better jumper.

Premier said:
EH, how do you feel about Kyle Lowry, then? He was the most important guard in Villanova's roster, in my opinion. Foye lacks Lowry's defense, speed, and passing ability (which strikingly resembles Raymond Felton). I'm pretty excited about two first-rounders next season.
I love Lowry, and in the right situation he'll be a very good pro. I'm not sure that Boston's it if Rivers is coaching. Unless we somehow end up with Oden. Of course, my dream (OK, frigging fantasy) scenario is that O.J. Mayo does indeed get banned by the Ohio State Athletic Association, takes a GED, and then joins a barnstorming team (Sonny Vaccaro's already considering forming one) to fulfill the literal requirements to enter the draft (a year graduated from high school and 19 years of age :bsmile: ). And that when Boston trades P-2 to the Bulls for Kirk Hinrich and the Knicks #1 (because any trade with the Bulls better include Hinrich) Boston ultimately lands the first two picks in the draft as a result. Because then #17 would be right around the corner. :bsmile:

·
Where he belongs...
3,813 Posts
no more ****ing combo guards please...we need a true pg whether its through free agency or through the draft...if we cant get someone like brevin knight then we need to take marcus williams with our pick i dont care how high our pick is

Reactions: Floods

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
ehmunro said:
It's the reason I think it will be Foye or Roy (or Gabe Pruitt in the second round if he enters and stays in the draft). Foye's the same height as West, but with a better handle and far more athletic. Roy probably has Rivers wetting his knickers, he's a non-psycho Ricky with a better jumper.
I previously wrote:

and...

I love Lowry, and in the right situation he'll be a very good pro. I'm not sure that Boston's it if Rivers is coaching. Unless we somehow end up with Oden. Of course, my dream (OK, frigging fantasy) scenario is that O.J. Mayo does indeed get banned by the Ohio State Athletic Association, takes a GED, and then joins a barnstorming team (Sonny Vaccaro's already considering forming one) to fulfill the literal requirements to enter the draft (a year graduated from high school and 19 years of age). And that when Boston trades P-2 to the Bulls for Kirk Hinrich and the Knicks #1 (because any trade with the Bulls better include Hinrich) Boston ultimately lands the first two picks in the draft as a result. Because then #17 would be right around the corner.
Well, of course. Everyone knows that this is Danny's plan all along. On a serious note, do you know if Greg Oden's mother and Vaccaro talk about arranging for Oden to go in the D-League so he can be eligible? I remember reading something on the lines of that.

Mayo is going to attend Kansas State to follow Huggins, I think. With Oden, Cook, and Conley (along with their already very good roster), Ohio State is going to the Final Four next season.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I want a true PG, I'm not comfortable with Delonte as the starting PG, I would love him as a 6th man though. My first want for an available PG would be Brevin Knight....if he's not available I would love to pry Luke Ridnour from Seattle since they seem enamored with Earl Watson. Both of these guys can score but they are true distributers. If we can't get someone like that then as I mentioned earlier I would draft PG Marcus Williams. Our PG situation is holding us back right now and we need to fix it. That is not a knock on Delonte, he's played very well, he's just truly not a starting PG in this league....that doesn't mean I don't like his hustle.

Reactions: Floods
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.