Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See, I play in this band, and we've been pretty good for the past year. The only problem is that our two vocalist suck, they plain suck. They're inconsistent and have the worst timing ever.

Me and the other bandmates are trying to find a way to tell them that they're not good enough... but we don't really wanna hurt them. Do any of you guys have suggestions? Or do I have to ask some girl how he dumps a guy and leave no hard feelings behind?

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
I don't really think there's any "secret" behind it.

Just tell them that they were appreciated for being in the band for so long, but that the band wants to move on without them being in it. Then thank them again, and if they take it the wrong way ... oh well.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
our band while appreciating your efforts wants to move in another directions. your vocal stylings don't quite fit where we want to go.

Are you saying we suck

No...look i'm sorry, but we want to move forward with different style and to do that we need a different sounding vocalist. You will probably be better off anyway with someone else.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
There isn't going to be a trick you can use to make everything all peachy when you tell them. It's going to be hard, and it'll suck, but you've just got to get it over with. No matter how nicely you put it to them, they're going to be upset and probably angry. There's no way around it. Doesn't mean you shouldn't be tactful when telling them, just means don't expect them smile, give you a firm hand shake, and walk away.

Just tell them as nicely as possible, stand very firm through any arguments they may throw back at you, and realize that tomorrow it'll hopefully be done forever and you'll be better off for it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gian</b>!
See, I play in this band, and we've been pretty good for the past year. The only problem is that our two vocalist suck, they plain suck. They're inconsistent and have the worst timing ever.

Me and the other bandmates are trying to find a way to tell them that they're not good enough... but we don't really wanna hurt them. Do any of you guys have suggestions? Or do I have to ask some girl how he dumps a guy and leave no hard feelings behind?

If they suck that bad, why did you get them in your band in the first place?

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Just kick 'em out... if you don't have the balls to do that then you shouldn't be in a band to begin with. Just tell them straight up, "you're out of the band, we're not interested in playing with you and we're looking to move forward as a band - and quite frankly, you're impeding our progress." You don't have to be that harsh, but just make it clear. Sure they'll be pissed, but you have your rationale (they suck).

Here's some further advice: don't tell anyone you jam with that they're part of your band. Once you do that, you get a little more attatched to them, and it makes it harder to get rid of them if you find someone better and more dedicated. Always keep your options open, especially at your age.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've had to do this before with our keyboardist. It obviously wasn't working out, and we told him respectfully, that it just wasn't working. Of course he was hurt at first, but now we're still good friends.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Having kicked several people out of bands I can say that the best way to do it is just be blunt. Don't beat around the bush. Just say "listen, it's not that we don't like you, but we honestly feel like we need to find a new vocalist. Sorry."

You'd be surprised at how well that works. Trust me, I've used it.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I can't believe nobody has suggested this yet... why don't you and all the other instrumentalists quit your band, and then form a new one? Like Creed. That's how they got rid of Scott Stapp.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
like at School of Rock.... make them groupies! :D

well i say just kick them out and say like... dude, you guys suck! leave! hehe j/k... well there's no way of getting around it so i dunno...

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
I can't believe nobody has suggested this yet... why don't you and all the other instrumentalists quit your band, and then form a new one? Like Creed. That's how they got rid of Scott Stapp.
Unbelievable, stole my answer nuccuh. Of course, that could be akward if ya'll are good friends, because then you'd have to answer questions from the two vocalists when they see that you're still with the same band with two new vocalists. That would bring you back to phase 1.

I like the whole "we're going in a different direction with our sound and need another vocalist to fit that"

That way its a style thing, and not a talent thing. Its like telling Steve Francis that hes being traded because the franchise is going a different direction, when in reality, that direction is forward soon as he leaves, muahahahah.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys for all the replies! The band really appreciates it. I'll tell you people how it goes down. We actually like one singer better because he's improved a lot in his short stint (so far) with our band. ;)

So we just have to get rid of that god awful screamer dude.. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts