Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

I still can't believe the Rockets let go of Scola for nothing

1K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Diable 
#1 ·
And I thought the Lakers pulled a major ****-up last season with Odom.

This makes that look pale by comparison. What a fool Morey is...a couple of days ago I accused him of being on 'shrooms.

I now think he must have been doing something much, much more potent.

#2 ·
You obviously didn't watch many Houston games last year (not that I blame you). Scola is a below average NBA player, and a 6'8" 230lb guy that really can't play the 3. At that salary there wasn't much chance of anyone taking it in trade, and there was no sense having him around as they have about 17 PFs on their roster as it is. Even without Dwight it was time to open up the position to see if any of the young guys can be at least average NBA starters. I'm not holding my breath, however.

#3 ·
Every time I've seen this guy play he torches the Lakers, although you are right, I haven't seen him play much outside of Laker and Clipper games.

But I have to strongly disagree with you. This guy is approaching a 15 / 8 per game production, and I will take that every day of the week from a 3. His FG percentage is off the charts at over 50%.

Are we talking about the same player?

I will agree with you that his personal conditioning has been drawn into question in recent years, and he is getting up there in age, but just to let him go at $7 million per is nuts.

This guy Morey is having a bad off-season so far. If he gets Dwightmare, I guess he will be vindicated, but geez...if he doesn't, I think this is just an awful move.

#14 ·
But I have to strongly disagree with you. This guy is approaching a 15 / 8 per game production, and I will take that every day of the week from a 3. His FG percentage is off the charts at over 50%.
The problem is that a SF he struggles defending chairs, and over at the 4 all the taller players shoot over him. He just isn't very good anymore, and certainly worth nothing like his contract. Contracts like Scola's have an established value, a similar contract of either one less or one more year (depending on which GM is taking a dump). Problem is if they made that deal they'd be stuck with that salary on their books whereas Scola could be amnestied. I'll fault Morey for a lot of things, but not this.

#11 ·
Considering they lost some good players this offseason at the positions those two play (Lowry, Dragic, Camby, Dalembert) then yes, it was a pretty bad offseason.

#9 ·
The guy can play but if you're not winning 50 games he's worthless. He's not enough of a difference maker on a mediocre team and his deal was untradeable.

They also feel like they have a shot at Dwight so they're trying to move space to take on all of Orlando's dead weight, and he was expendable.

Not shocking at all.

If I was LA I would've jumped on Gasol and Lowry for him in two seconds last year...could've still done Nash then moved Lowry for something, maybe helped you in a Dwight package.

#12 ·
If I was on shrooms I know I would want to banish visual input such as Scola's ugly face.

#18 ·
Scola was the guy to amnesty. But he is a heck of a player. Haven't watched the Rockets as much this past season but when he was on the Rockets... Man that guy could ball. Good low post scoring, can run the floor, money from midrange, gives it his all on defense.

#19 ·
You guys are all missing the point.

If Morey didn't have such a hard on for DH12 at this point in time, Scola doesn't get amnestied.

You amnesty players whose talent level no longer live up to the value of their contracts. Scola's contract is very workable and he is making what he should be making.

Bad move all around. Really, Morey is ****ing up Houston bad. If they don't get DH12 after all of this, he should probably be fired.

#21 ·
You guys are all missing the point.

If Morey didn't have such a hard on for DH12 at this point in time, Scola doesn't get amnestied.
that is your opinion. it's not really supported by anything.

You amnesty players whose talent level no longer live up to the value of their contracts. Scola's contract is very workable and he is making what he should be making.
last year scola didn't perform up to the value level of his contract.

Bad move all around. Really, Morey is ****ing up Houston bad. If they don't get DH12 after all of this, he should probably be fired.
like i said, not an ideal move but defensible. it's funny that you're calling for morey to be fired and keep going on and on about how he's ****ing up. haven't people been saying morey should be doing this for years(i wasn't one of them obviously)?

#20 · (Edited)
Scola is a below average NBA player on an 80% max deal. He is vastly underperforming his rate of pay And if Morey doesn't land Howard he was done anyway. No matter what else.

Morey is a statistician (and I'm speaking in the general rather than specific sense here) that got a GMs job without knowing a whole lot about basketball, because he convinced Houston's owners that his magic formulas were more reliable than understanding the game (really, he knows about as much about basketball as the average poster here). But, what his magic formulae produce are .500 teams, and the fans have run out of patience for watching the Rockets finish .500. Dwight Howard is the only star player available at the moment and the only way he can save his job.

#22 ·
Well this is a move you should do if it takes you somewhere. Scola is overpaid, especially if he is in decline rather than just playing poorly last year. It is hard to see what this accomplishes unless you're trying to make a move which requires cap space or you just want to suck next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.