Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think had the lakers not been afraid to trade odom for boozer, instead of toying with the idea of butler + co for boozer, they would be a better team right now. the best thing that odom brings to the table is rebounding. they wouldnt have lost anything with boozer. the only way odom can score is off the dribble slashing to the hoop, which the lakers dont really need. they need a high percentage low post scoring option which is what boozer is. everyone is intrigued by odom's athleticism and size, but to me odom is an overrated player the lakers in the long run do not need.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
lakers need defense though. can boozer provide that? i mean odom isn't great but he has some semblance of it. is he laterally quick enough, to rotate onto offending offenders? we already know he can score and board at a high level. but he would just accentuate more problems in different areas. not sure what it would accomplish in the long run.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Trading Odom for Boozer doesn't make much sense, it's a lateral move. Defense gets better because Boozer can deny low block position, and has fairly long arms, but he's not a great shot blocker or defender by any means, and trading Odom this early when Phil Jackson is a strong possibility is just a premature move period. Odom's best role is as facilitator. We all saw what Malone was able to do last season when given the rock to facilitate, and Odom will be doing that a lot more than Malone was last season if Jackson comes back and installs the same motion offense he had with Pippen and Jordan.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
SoCalfan21 said:
hotel might be the worst poster here...everything he writes just gets friggin blocked :laugh: :laugh:
what did he say?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I still think Boozer is highly overpaid, but I'm now more than willing to give up Butler for him. Trading Odom for him and his contract basically means the Lakers are willing to go with Boozer as the second option. Butler on the other hand, has shaky confidence and doesn't even have a go-to move or excel at any portion of the game. Its inexcusable to have like 5 point differential in his home and road averages. He could be a great 3rd scorer if Odom develops into a 2nd option.

Odom is frustrating me more and more as well. It's like he doesn't even realize how talented he is and most of the players that are guarding him have no chance at all. It was better when he was on the Clippers because he had the ball in his hand most of time and could create for Taylor, Anderson, Miles, Maggette, Brand and Richardson, but now he plays with Kobe. I'm hoping Phil comes back just for the fact that I think he is THE coach to get Odom to play to his potential.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
I'm still very scared of losing Odom. He could be the perfect compliment to Kobe, despite having to have the ball in his hands to be most effective. Under the right scheme, a better coach, he'll be given the right role in our system to play up to his potential. As he's proven, he is a freak athlete, and has the ability to post-up using his size, but also beat his man off the dribble. He is a unique talent, and too rare to just quit on. At this point of his career, I've seen enough to know that he can be counted on to pick up the scoring slack. But, this hasn't been the case, and this is one of the most bizzare things I've ever seen. This whole season I've been left scratching my head because of the lack of production from Lamar Odom.

Like Jamel said, It's like he doesn't even realize how talented he is. Odom is a hard match-up for anyone, and is virtually un-guardable. He's blessed, and needs to start playing like he wants to be the All-Star that he easily could be.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You don't trade players for defense. You get a coach with discipline and make the players you have hustle and defend or get the bench or the boot!!

Force Cook and Slava or whomever to pull down boards or ship them out. No excuses. When the team is losing everyone should try harder. , not stand around and shoot 3's !!

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
theLegend said:
I'm still very scared of losing Odom. He could be the perfect compliment to Kobe, despite having to have the ball in his hands to be most effective. Under the right scheme, a better coach, he'll be given the right role in our system to play up to his potential. As he's proven, he is a freak athlete, and has the ability to post-up using his size, but also beat his man off the dribble. He is a unique talent, and too rare to just quit on. At this point of his career, I've seen enough to know that he can be counted on to pick up the scoring slack. But, this hasn't been the case, and this is one of the most bizzare things I've ever seen. This whole season I've been left scratching my head because of the lack of production from Lamar Odom.

Like Jamel said, It's like he doesn't even realize how talented he is. Odom is a hard match-up for anyone, and is virtually un-guardable. He's blessed, and needs to start playing like he wants to be the All-Star that he easily could be.
I agree, I think he can be an amazing weapon when he gets to play his real position, i.e. SF. And hopefully with PJ coming back next year he can mold him and Kobe, much like he did Pip and MJ.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Many great points were brought up here. We DON'T Trade Odom

-if it doesn't improve our team(don't trade for the sake of trading)

-if it involves trading away a special player with special talent s(no matter how dumb he is and unaware of his potential) for a dime a dozen punk who just beats up people in the low block.

-if it has only ben 1 year with all of the coaching, injury, and media distractions

-if it results in us getting and INJURED player

-if it results in us basically TRADING SHAQ FOR BOOZER(most people fail to realize the big picture)

Say no to Boozer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
OT: Do you gyus know how long Odom will be out? How serious injury is that strained shoulder?

Because without him Lakers chances to getting into playoffs are as big as Milwaukee's... :no:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Thorgal said:
OT: Do you gyus know how long Odom will be out? How serious injury is that strained shoulder?

Because without him Lakers chances to getting into playoffs are as big as Milwaukee's... :no:
Haven't heard any info on it yet. I'm surprised he'd been able to stay injury-free this long when you think about his injury history when he was a Clipper. I hope it's not anything serious, because without his rebounding we are SERIOUS trouble.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've heard that he's going to have a MRI today.

So that would mean that is not going to play tonight, which means that Lakers will lose this one :(.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts