Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....but I can honestly say he is not worth the max and he definatly isn't worth goin over the cap!

The Raps are NOT going to win any championships next year....sO i say we trade JYD for a draft pick and don't resign Keon unless he is willing to go for under the cap. Then next year we worry about signing a GOOD free agent who will bring us the NBA title.

I know this has been discussed a bit on here, but I was talking to my best friend about this earlier and it is absoulutly uncalled for for these players like Wally and KC to be asking for the money they are.

Keon Clark = 6th Man and a 6th man doesn't deserve the max!!!

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Since when did he ask for the max? You're the one bringing it up. everyone knows he's not worth the max. The fans, management, his agent and himself. The Raps aren't looking to pay him the max either. So why bring up the max in the first place?

He isn't worth goin over the <b>cap</b> for? I think you mean the luxury tax, because we're aleady over the cap. A couple more things, we can't just dump JYD like that. Who would want him? And better yet, who would give up a draft pick and take on his contract? Finally, we <b>should</b> go a <i>bit</i>, like only around 1 or 2 million over the tax to keep Keon. He's incredibly valuable to this team. He's our starting center, he was a 6th man candidate last year, and would have won IMO if he hadn't started so many games. He's inconsistant, yes, but he knows that and he knows therefore that he's not worth 6-7 million, LET ALONE the max.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
OH sorry guess I must have got a few things confused but thanks for not being an ******* about it.

But What i have been told is that $1 over the TAX = a $5-10 million fine.

Also what is the difference between the cap and the tax?

What is the point in having a cap if almost every team is over it?

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Every million dollars a team is over the cap, they have to pay the league that amount, dollar for dollar. So for example, if the Raps re-sign Keon and are $2 million over the tax after the signing, they have to pay the league $2 million.

And not every team is over the cap, being under the cap allows teams to sign other free agents, not just their own. If a team is over the cap, they can re-sign free agents, but not sign them outright. Also trades made between teams over the cap have to have salary differentials of less than 15%. If all teams are under the cap, that rule is disregarded. Hope that helps.

And the salary cap is usually somewhere in the low-to mid 40's, and the luxury tax is in the 50 millions. So just say the luxury tax is $56 million and the salary cap is $36 million for now. Not certain, just projections. They will be announced later on. Not sure when though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for clearing that stuff up....I actually never really got the whole cap situation.

And since you seem like such an expert....you think after Lenny goes we can get Jeff Van Gundy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts