Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Wow, that is a rough take. My non-clinical guess would be some level of ptsd at the very least. I'm sure her mind was reeling.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
He needs to be brought to justice, walks around the campus like he owns the place and what did the AD say to that young lady well people pay money to see him play. Disgusting. I hope she files a lawsuit against him and the University and Becker should be fired. He's the head of the program this happened on his watch he needs to be held responsible.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here's my issue with the "fans" who are immediately begging for publicity, the suspension of the player and the firing of Coach Becker, Schulman and other Department staffers:

Remember the highest-profile basketball player who suffered from a (likely totally false and fictitious) assault allegation? Yes, it was Kobe. And has that (again, likely fake) allegation bear any weight on his legacy, his likeability and the overwhelmingly positive role model he was/still is for America's youth?

Shortly after that allegation was settled anyone who questioned Kobe's integrity looked like a fool and Kobe became possibly the most well-liked and popular basketball player of all-time. He's certainly more popular than Lebron is or ever will be, and IMO he's a bit more popular than MJ too (Kobe's jersey sales have outpaced both Lebron and MJ from an all-time cumulative standpoint. AI is #4). Even here in New England, where we're supposed to "hate" Kobe and that era of the Lakers, almost every die-hard Celtics fan I meet loves Kobe way more than Lebron.

We need to support the student-athlete and support the program at all costs. Yes, that is something that is very hard to ask in today's "me too" environment. But I'm overall discouraged that there are only a handful of fans who are truly loyal to the program and our athletes.

I'm ~85% confident I know who the athlete in question is. Who knows what went on in the bedroom--it's not my job to speculate on that front. And if this becomes any more of a scandal than it already is we will destroy this young man's life and will take years for our beloved program to ever recover. Say good bye to any chance of philanthropic donations to build the new arena. Donors will pull out left-and-right. We need to stand in solidarity behind the accused player. We can't let this become a scandal.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Here's my issue with the "fans" who are immediately begging for publicity, the suspension of the player and the firing of Coach Becker, Schulman and other Department staffers:

s.

.... Who knows what went on in the bedroom--it's not my job to speculate on that front. And if this becomes any more of a scandal than it already is we will destroy this young man's life and will take years for our beloved program to ever recover. Say good bye to any chance of philanthropic donations to build the new arena. Donors will pull out left-and-right. We need to stand in solidarity behind the accused player. We can't let this become a scandal.
I can absolutely understand not wanting to "name and shame". The basketball player hasn't been charged with anything and it certainly seems that he won't be. There is a rush to "support the victim" when the facts are still unknown and only one persons version of events has been documented. If he is eventually charged, he should have the right to face his accuser and defend himself.

That being said, you completely lose me when you say that people need to stand in solidarity behind the accused player so that it doesn't become a scandal. That's the kind of attitude that allows scandals to happen in the first place and allows successively bigger scandals happen when the smaller ones get swept under the rug. Eventually the lump under the rug becomes too big and the sh-t hits the fan. See, Binghamton 2008-09.

There are two issues for the UVM crowd to be concerned with. One is whether or not a sexual assault took place as described. That is something you may never know the exact answer to. The second is whether or not the athletic department took appropriate steps to investigate in an unbiased way or whether they put pressure on the accuser in order to sweep things under the rug. That is something that is knowable and UVM supporters should think long and hard about whether or not they want to support an athletic department that won't provide answers.

·
Registered
672 Posts

Remember the highest-profile basketball player who suffered from a (likely totally false and fictitious) assault allegation? Yes, it was Kobe. And has that (again, likely fake) allegation bear any weight on his legacy, his likeability and the overwhelmingly positive role model he was/still is for America's youth?

Shortly after that allegation was settled anyone who questioned Kobe's integrity looked like a fool and Kobe became possibly the most well-liked and popular basketball player of all-time. He's certainly more popular than Lebron is or ever will be, and IMO he's a bit more popular than MJ too (Kobe's jersey sales have outpaced both Lebron and MJ from an all-time cumulative standpoint. AI is #4). Even here in New England, where we're supposed to "hate" Kobe and that era of the Lakers, almost every die-hard Celtics fan I meet loves Kobe way more than Lebron.

We need to support the student-athlete and support the program at all costs. Yes, that is something that is very hard to ask in today's "me too" environment. But I'm overall discouraged that there are only a handful of fans who are truly loyal to the program and our athletes.

I'm ~85% confident I know who the athlete in question is. Who knows what went on in the bedroom--it's not my job to speculate on that front. And if this becomes any more of a scandal than it already is we will destroy this young man's life and will take years for our beloved program to ever recover. Say good bye to any chance of philanthropic donations to build the new arena. Donors will pull out left-and-right. We need to stand in solidarity behind the accused player. We can't let this become a scandal.
Gross.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Complete and utter delusion. For someone who doesn't want to speculate, you sure did make sure to let us all know who lives in "the Basketball house." Also, seems you forgot Ware is a student-athlete too. So you should really amend your "loyalty" statements that to say "basketball players only." Being "discouraged" that others don't show blind loyalty and have standards for how they want those who lead the athletic department to act should cause some introspection as you why you are out on this island in your takes, but it seems pretty clear you won't. I feel sorry for you.

Also, seems worth repeating that Ware was quite clear multiple times her issue is with the administration's response and handling of the investigation to wash their hands of her and allow the player to escape any meaningful reprimand than it is over the player raping her. It's why she didn't mention his name, why she said the story isn't about him. The issue is exactly what BingGrad said: do we want to support an athletic administration that operates in this fashion? I don't. Lots of others don't. You obviously do, or are just so misguided that you can't see the issue for what it is.

Finally, as for the Kobe comparison, it doesn't compare at all. But, to even contexualize it further, this is the statement he made after his trial, which in addition to him having the wealth to skirt major consequences, I would say went a long way in helping rehab his image. He owned up to what he did and accepted his accuser's side of the story. We don't know if that happened in the UVM situation, but I think this should dispel your "the victim made it up" crap.

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado. I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter. I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Who woulda guessed that the UVM GOP club are also such big UVM basketball fans

·
Comrade Fox
1,900 Posts
I still don't think UVM's said a word about this since the story broke, or even acknowledging it exists. Shoving it under the rug helps no one. Public accountability, while it may hurt you in the short term because "oh no you fucked up", will help in the long term by making sure this doesn't happen again.

And denying that anything was true or that this was sensationalized bullshit is the reason people who are victims of high-profile rapists/abusers come forward. Ware has nothing to gain from this except closure (and perhaps a better future for people in her situation).

·
Registered
474 Posts
"That being said, you completely lose me when you say that people need to stand in solidarity behind the accused player so that it doesn't become a scandal."

I agree with this 100%.

However, on the flip side - those of you who want to immediately say the accuser's story is the gospel need to back off of that. There have been plenty of similar false allegations over the years and this may or may not be such a case. If you are sooooo certain that what she says is true, and many of you had said you can figure out who the accused is, then why don't you just come out and say "so-and-so" raped this young lady? Some of you have already found it to be a fact based on her allegations, so put your money where you mouth is and name somebody.

The accuser is free to press her case with the police, the adminsitration and prviate counsel if she so chooses, and if it did happen, I hope she does and I hope those institutions and the system come down on the accused like a ton of bricks.

·
The People's Champ
725 Posts
I dunno, milehi, maybe she experience serious trauma and is scared for her life and by naming someone she is afraid of retaliation? jesus, is this what its come down to now for some of these cats fans, comparing this situation to Kobe Bryant's situation? wow

·
Registered
474 Posts
"I dunno, milehi, maybe she experience serious trauma and is scared for her life and by naming someone she is afraid of retaliation? jesus, is this what its come down to now for some of these cats fans, comparing this situation to Kobe Bryant's situation? wow"

I can understand what you are saying, and appreciate it. But that is her issue to deal with, and I hope she does deal with it for her own well being and peace of mind. She has a lot of life to live, and I hope this does not prevent her from having a happy, successful one. My point is that the participants on this board have no right to say "it happened" just because she said it did.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts