Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys dont have a clue. The best GM in the game wants Curry and that doesnt speak volumes to you guys??? He would probably take the worst 2 contracts of the Bulls just to bait Paxson to giving up Curry. You never give up on a 3rd yr High School guy with the soft touch he has around the basket. That is priceless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me

everyone is being duped BIG TIME. You can never give up on a Center with that much offensive savvy around the basket. No way!
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
It's funny. Jerry West's reputation is such that he could be trying to trade for my man Rick Brunson and people would all of a sudden take a 5th look at Rick Brunson just to make sure he wasn't Micheal Jordan.

West makes good and bad deals just like every other GM. He's a good GM. But he is the guy that drafted Bell and Jones over Zarko, Barbosa, and a littany of other, better guys to have.

He's human.

It's probably more important to note that not just West...but EVERY other GM also called the Bulls to ask about Curry and Chandler.

I mean they look and see a very coordinated, 6-11, 21 year old hulk of a center who led the NBA in field goal percentage last year and has at times dominated such names as Tim Duncan and Shaq O'Neal...

A guy like that...most teams want to have. They could really care less about how the bulls aren't winning and how Eddy has been inconsistent. I'm sure that after Miller, Artest, Brand, Hoiberg, Hassell, Brent Barry and soon to be Jamal Crawford, there is a prevailing belief among NBA GM's that Chicago doesn't know what it has, nor does it know how to use it. And they think in their organization they are going to be the ones to bring the best out of Eddy Curry or Jamal or Tyson or whoever.

It's up to Paxson to start proving the rest of the league wrong and show that this is a quality organization and not a joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Anybody is tradeable including Curry. I no longer see the upside in Curry. I realize his size and scoring ability but there is more to a complete player than that. They have to be willing to work for it. Curry apparently is not. I know he is only 21 but work ethic is something that is either there or it isn't. And it ain't there in Curry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank GOd

this is from Dailysouthtown...he is not leaving


Now Bulls general manager John Paxson is so peeved about his team's record he says there are no untouchables on the team. Maybe so, but don't expect Curry and Chandler to leave anytime soon. The value of both guys is as low as it has been in months, and Paxson is too smart to deal from weakness. Expect Paxson to allow the twin towers to become restricted free agents after next season, at which time they will have played themselves either into or out of jumbo contracts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,438 Posts
Re: Thank GOd

Originally posted by <b>Modena360</b>!
this is from Dailysouthtown...he is not leaving


Now Bulls general manager John Paxson is so peeved about his team's record he says there are no untouchables on the team. Maybe so, but don't expect Curry and Chandler to leave anytime soon. The value of both guys is as low as it has been in months, and Paxson is too smart to deal from weakness. Expect Paxson to allow the twin towers to become restricted free agents after next season, at which time they will have played themselves either into or out of jumbo contracts.
Do you think that Paul Ladewski is the last word as to what Pax is going to do with his twin towers? I don't.
 

·
Our Sentence Is Up
Joined
·
40,250 Posts
Re: Thank GOd

Originally posted by <b>Modena360</b>!
The value of both guys is as low as it has been in months, and Paxson is too smart to deal from weakness.
I don't know if there's any reason to believe that. I don't know if he was dealing Rose and Marshall from a position of strength. I think he wanted to get rid of them at whatever cost and thusly we didn't get MO-P back in the deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,627 Posts
Don't forget, he traded Darko for Otis Thorpe too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>froggyvk</b>!
Don't forget, he traded Darko for Otis Thorpe too.
How so?

That Otis Thorpe trade was done back in 1997. Jerry West was still with the Lakers, unless I'm way off my rocker.
 

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
Joined
·
5,702 Posts
Yeah I think that horrific Thorpe deal might date back to Stu Jackson, even. Imagine the depth at SF if the Grizz had gotten #2 and taken Carmelo. We could probably pry Battier away in that scenario.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,297 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Hey, the best GM in the game once traded Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen Rice.

West is very good, but that doesn't make him faultless.

And yes, Curry does have a "soft touch" around the basket. :)
But dint he got Kobe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,732 Posts
Re: Thank GOd

Originally posted by <b>Modena360</b>!
this is from Dailysouthtown...he is not leaving


Now Bulls general manager John Paxson is so peeved about his team's record he says there are no untouchables on the team. Maybe so, but don't expect Curry and Chandler to leave anytime soon. The value of both guys is as low as it has been in months, and Paxson is too smart to deal from weakness. Expect Paxson to allow the twin towers to become restricted free agents after next season, at which time they will have played themselves either into or out of jumbo contracts.

That's the best move Paxson can make in regards to Eddy and Tyson. Don't trade them, just give them 1 more year.

As much as I like Crawford, I don't think he's coming back. Paxson HAS to get a SG and SF in the draft, FA, or through trades. Maybe Jamal fills in one of those gaps but I doubt it.

The draft doesn't look very good right now, even with Okafur.
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Hey, the best GM in the game once traded Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell for Glen Rice.

West is very good, but that doesn't make him faultless.

And yes, Curry does have a "soft touch" around the basket. :)
Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell have not won any rings with the LA Lakers.

Glen Rice won one, the year after that trade. He was eventually traded for Horace Grant, a good role player necessary to get the Lakers SECOND consecutive championship ring in 2001.

EJ and Campbell have no rings to their name, and were not the guys that were needed in Phil Jackson's triangle. I'd say that this was a great trade for L.A. and a huge credit to West's name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>thebizkit69u</b>!


But dint he got Kobe?
Kobe and his father forced that trade. The Nets took Kittles because Kobe refused to play for the Nets. And Charlotte wanted to keep Kobe. IMO, Kobe pulled one of the biggest ***** moves in pro sports by demanding that he play for the Lakers and only the Lakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,393 Posts
You can never say never, especially when you are talking about professional sports.

Curry shouldn't be available for anything less than a superstar ( or one in the making) and key parts to end the rebuilding....


i.e. - Gasol, Battier and Swift.

Jerry, You are right, that is alot and probably more than he's worth today. But you aren't buying him for today. You're buying for 3 years from now when most ex-Bulls become superstars.

So, pay now and have him on your team, or pay later when he destroys your team.

(Voice in the back of my head screaming, Jerry West please blink, please blink)

Don't trade any of them for anything less than a borderline all-star who can lead this team for 5 years or more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,215 Posts
Re: Trust me

Originally posted by <b>Modena360</b>!
everyone is being duped BIG TIME. You can never give up on a Center with that much offensive savvy around the basket. No way!
Do you ever watch Eddy Curry play? I mean really watch him? I'd say 95% of the time when he has the ball with his back to the basket, he's gonn turn to his right shoulder. Watch him. He almost never goes left. When he does go left, he still shoots with his right which is a recepie for a blocked shot. He's agile and quick - no doubt but he really has a very limited offensive arsenal. He's got a fantastic right-handed jump hook. That's about it. He lays everything up soft. Including shots that he should be forcing down the rim rather than putting up these weak layups which can be blocked so easily. Don't even get me going about the defensive side of things. It amazes me that he just doesn't even get his hands up to get a rebound. Forget about positioning. If the ball isn't about to hit him in the head, he won't get it. A man his size with his strength and agility should be able to get 9 rebs a game without thinking about it. Instead we get to see lines like 2pts, 2rebs, 2 to 0 blks in 12 mins.

Eddy doesn't seem to have much of an intuitive feel for the game. He gets double and triple teamed and rather than passing out and reestablishing position, he forces up a bad shot. Eddy, more often than not, will turn into a double-team because he's been scouted enough by folks that know he's gonna turn to his right - so they double to his right. It's really easy to defend a guy like that.

I'm alright if Curry gets traded for Gasol. Jerry West is not the end-all be-all of NBA GM's. He's human like everyone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,909 Posts
Re: Re: Trust me

Originally posted by <b>fl_flash</b>!


Do you ever watch Eddy Curry play? I mean really watch him? I'd say 95% of the time when he has the ball with his back to the basket, he's gonn turn to his right shoulder. Watch him. He almost never goes left. When he does go left, he still shoots with his right which is a recepie for a blocked shot. He's agile and quick - no doubt but he really has a very limited offensive arsenal. He's got a fantastic right-handed jump hook. That's about it. He lays everything up soft. Including shots that he should be forcing down the rim rather than putting up these weak layups which can be blocked so easily. Don't even get me going about the defensive side of things. It amazes me that he just doesn't even get his hands up to get a rebound. Forget about positioning. If the ball isn't about to hit him in the head, he won't get it. A man his size with his strength and agility should be able to get 9 rebs a game without thinking about it. Instead we get to see lines like 2pts, 2rebs, 2 to 0 blks in 12 mins.

Eddy doesn't seem to have much of an intuitive feel for the game. He gets double and triple teamed and rather than passing out and reestablishing position, he forces up a bad shot. Eddy, more often than not, will turn into a double-team because he's been scouted enough by folks that know he's gonna turn to his right - so they double to his right. It's really easy to defend a guy like that.

I'm alright if Curry gets traded for Gasol. Jerry West is not the end-all be-all of NBA GM's. He's human like everyone else.
But this is exactly the thing Jerry West is looking to capitalize on.

Curry, at 21 years of age, is one of the most proficient low post scorers in the league. He has a variety of post moves that have been demonstrated. He may be out of shape and inconsistent, but these are things that come with age and experience. As he matures, he'll become more dedicated to his job.

I hate to use him as an example, but think about Barry Bonds. He did not make a dedication to the game of baseball until he was what, 30-31, when he finally started working out.

The same could have been said of Jordan when he was out of shape in the playoffs because he was taking those beatings. He got serious about winning and his game and hit the weight room... then boom, 6 titles later, look what you've got.

The fact that people want to give up on our young kids and expect them to perform like an MJ or TD right now is just shortsighted. In all honesty, I'm sick of the garbage being laid on this board daily and hope we trade Ty, Ed and Jamal away so they can come back and haunt us for the next 15 years.

You've seen the glimpses people... when these guys are 24-25, they will dominate this league. Unlike you, I hope they are all still in Bull unis. Kirk Hinrich is not the savior of our franchise... like it or not, they are.

Deal them or deal with it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,359 Posts
I agree with the poster who started the thread; however, I woul d not say never.

Some good points brought up in here! A big number of GM's have called and are calling!! You can bet the house they are calling based on the future play of Eddy and not on his play now! John set the bar high. Told Jerry what it would take to get Eddy. That is the way he should do it! Tells the GM's he is not going to be handed over for just anyone!


Eddy will be a bull next season. And he will be in shape. Now, if that brings better basketball to the Bulls night in and night out, we shall see.

We concerns me is, as Memphis and other teams get closer to the end of the season and maybe miss the playoffs, they may make another run at a player like Curry during the draft. That could happen. But even then, I would think a great player would have to be in the package. Is is fair to assume that now? Depends on what you think fair is? A GM wants Curry for the future based on what he MIGHT be, then I think compensation now with a player that is already along that line is fair!! What if Eddy doesn't ever reach that goal? Well John is not the one making these calls about Eddy! If a GM thinks it is too steep a price then we are no worse off than we already are! We go on.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top