Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have all this talk about Michael Redd or Ray Allen coming to the Clippers and making us contenders and what not, but to be completely honest, I'd rather wait a few more years than to have one of those big name superstars come.

The main reason is that I've noticed that Ray Allen has a huge ego, and Michael Redd is not worth the Maximum Contract by seeing the way he plays. In fact, I'm glad that we didn't sign Kobe Bryant, even though it would have probably ensured a good playoff run or maybe a championship, I just don't think I could support those guys.

I started liking the clippers because of their players, not because they are the best or whatever, but because they don't have big egos like all these other players around the league. I'd rather see the Clippers build their team like the Spurs, by home growing their stars, and having the patience to get them to do things right... however, it'd be better if they got a better coach, a more strict one that is consistent like Poppavich.

We are always talking about how it would be like if we got a superstar and what not, but wouldn't that just make a big ego on the Los Angeles squad for the next few years? I mean, do we need a big ego? Instead of trying to be like the Lakers, or trying to be like Dallas or New York in trying to get as many stars as possible, why not try growing then with patience and consistency?

I don't think I could stand having to support a big ego superstar for the Clippers, even if it did mean we won more games. I'd rather watch the team we have lose, than to watch a pouting superstar complaining of how everyone else is not good enough to win games.

That's just my two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, the Spurs pay roll is far under the salary cap, and New York has the highest Salary cap... higher paid players does not equal success, so why are we looking for superstars?
 

·
Because BBF needs a hero
Joined
·
8,336 Posts
Free Arsenal said:
Also, the Spurs pay roll is far under the salary cap, and New York has the highest Salary cap... higher paid players does not equal success, so why are we looking for superstars?

Actually, spurs have a lot of long term players which no longer effect there salary cap margins. Lakers would have had the same if they had toughed it out after this last signing, but instead they traded for a couple players with horrid contracts.
 

·
Charge!
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
This is my third year as a Sonics season ticket holder so I've been watching Ray Allen every game he has played since we traded for him. RAy does not seem to have a big ego to me. He is a team player and an overall good guy. His Ray of Hope Foundation helps out local Puget Sound kids and Ray has been recognized by the league for his sportsmanship. He may seem moody or egotistic to some people, but those who follow him day in day out know that he is a team leader and a benefactor to his home community.

I'm still believing that Ray will end up in Seattle after its all said and done. He is very popular in Seattle and not just anyone could fill the void left by Gary Payton.

G-Force
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
17,913 Posts
If you don't want to see those players on the team then which players would you like to see for next years roster?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,561 Posts
Definately have to disagree. First off i dont see allen has having this huge kobe-like ego. Also, id like to see the clippers win in the playoffs for a few years to try it on for size. Weve always had pretty decent characters off the court on the team, but not much winning. So if it does take an ego to get on the team to win, heck, lets try it out...as long as it translates into victories, im all for it. If it backfires and causes dissenstion on the team, and no more victories, then of course not.

Allen and redd are the ones that stick out this year that seem the most logical fits on the clippers. Nothing is set in stone either way, plenty of teams are after redd and allen. But the clippers have the most talent and best locaiton to offer them, so they should be near the top of the possbility list.

the ONLY other way that I would consider giving up the whole superstar idea is if we could trade to get miles back. First off, we almost made the playoffs with him, and the style of Bball that we had with him was exciting, almost didnt care we didnt make the playoffs that year. The possibilities of him with livingston running the court is enough to make any clipper salivate.

But strictly talking wins, weve GOT to go after redd and allen. Todays game was another example of how not having a go to player in crunch time is a direct lead in to a loss. Down the stretch after we tied it, once again no one wanted the ball, the ball movement was terrible, werent running the plays, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,922 Posts
I rather not see us waste our time going after the "big fish". I think there are some solid players who are attainable that would really fit this team, Cuttino Mobley being one of them.

Milwaukee is not going to lose Redd, they made the KVH trade, they are financially capable of resigning Redd and they can offer him the most money because they can offer that pivotal extra year, to sit and think he's going to leave them for us is wishful thinking. For argument sake, let's say he said bye Bucks, why would he choose us over Denver? Another team who plans to go after him and they have a better team, management, etc. IMO.

We shouldn't have traded for Baron Davis, but we should trade for Darius Miles?

lol...

Miles thinks he's better than what he is, and hasn't really improved and he's uncoachable, ya let's bring him right in. I mean you can ask any Blazers fan if what I just said was true, send a email to Jason Quick if you feel like it, but to suggest trading for D Miles would save us from our need for a superstar is beyond ridiculous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G-Force said:
This is my third year as a Sonics season ticket holder so I've been watching Ray Allen every game he has played since we traded for him. RAy does not seem to have a big ego to me. He is a team player and an overall good guy. His Ray of Hope Foundation helps out local Puget Sound kids and Ray has been recognized by the league for his sportsmanship. He may seem moody or egotistic to some people, but those who follow him day in day out know that he is a team leader and a benefactor to his home community.

I'm still believing that Ray will end up in Seattle after its all said and done. He is very popular in Seattle and not just anyone could fill the void left by Gary Payton.

G-Force
Although Ray Allen does not have a Kobe-esque ego, he's developed one in trying to sell himself to other teams. By saying "I might play here next season." He may be a good locker room presence, and a team player, but the fact that he's constantly talking in the media kind of gives off the idea he has that ego. It's nothing against him, I just don't like how he is selling himself to so many teams, but then again, everyone would do that wouldn't they?

I'd say he's staying in Seattle, because they can offer him the most money, and of course, he's got tons of fans there already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weasel said:
If you don't want to see those players on the team then which players would you like to see for next years roster?

I'd rather see Bobby Simmons in a bigger role, with Corey only playing the penetrator. I think Corey Maggete could probably play a lot better if he just completely stopped his outside shots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yamaneko said:
Definately have to disagree. First off i dont see allen has having this huge kobe-like ego. Also, id like to see the clippers win in the playoffs for a few years to try it on for size. Weve always had pretty decent characters off the court on the team, but not much winning. So if it does take an ego to get on the team to win, heck, lets try it out...as long as it translates into victories, im all for it. If it backfires and causes dissenstion on the team, and no more victories, then of course not.

Allen and redd are the ones that stick out this year that seem the most logical fits on the clippers. Nothing is set in stone either way, plenty of teams are after redd and allen. But the clippers have the most talent and best locaiton to offer them, so they should be near the top of the possbility list.

the ONLY other way that I would consider giving up the whole superstar idea is if we could trade to get miles back. First off, we almost made the playoffs with him, and the style of Bball that we had with him was exciting, almost didnt care we didnt make the playoffs that year. The possibilities of him with livingston running the court is enough to make any clipper salivate.

But strictly talking wins, weve GOT to go after redd and allen. Todays game was another example of how not having a go to player in crunch time is a direct lead in to a loss. Down the stretch after we tied it, once again no one wanted the ball, the ball movement was terrible, werent running the plays, etc.

Today's game was okay, but if you noticed, Simmons has the makings of a go to guy at the end of games. I think we already have a go to guy, but the Clippers couldn't get the ball to Simmons, how many last second shots has Simmons hit this season alone at the end of games before Corey or someone else screwed it up?

I'd say we already have the late game presence, since Livingston is pretty good at Crunch time, the only person that keeps choking is Maggette.

If we did get a Superstar, he's still going to play with Maggette, and there is still going to be room for chokes. There is really nothing that can be done about it in this case, unless you want to get rid of Corey, a SUperstar just gives that added option, it doesn't really ensure anything.

The Clippers lost to the Timberwolves yes, but who missed the last shot? It was Corey not Simmons. If anything, I'd say we'll need to resign Simmons instead of any "Superstar" and let him take more of the late game shots, he's got the ability to be clutch and he's shown he can develop what needs to be developed.

Earlier in the season he was playing like crazy, and as the season progressed he started adding more moves to his game. Simmons has the makings of a consistent player like Cassell is, he just needs to be given the ball at the end.

I'm just saying, I think the team is doing just fine, if anything, they should get players who don't get injured, or get a better coach. As much as I like Mike Dunleavy, he's just not that good of a coach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,561 Posts
I think there are some solid players who are attainable that would really fit this team, Cuttino Mobley being one of them.
Dont see mobley as fitting into the clippers system, being such a one on one player. being a one on one player isnt a detriment if you are a dominant superstar putting up 22+ points a game or so.

Milwaukee is not going to lose Redd, they made the KVH trade, they are financially capable of resigning Redd and they can offer him the most money because they can offer that pivotal extra year, to sit and think he's going to leave them for us is wishful thinking. For argument sake, let's say he said bye Bucks, why would he choose us over Denver? Another team who plans to go after him and they have a better team, management, etc. IMO.
Again, if you know anything about basketball, you know nothing like this is set in stone, so to say that it is is laughable. Kobe of all people who was handed the lakers organization on a silver spoon came this close to leaving. Nothing even remotely close has happened in milwaukee. They havent even come out and said that he would get a max contract for sure next year to the best of my knowledge. Denver does not have a better complete team than the clippers IMO, and im not even sure that they have enough money to offer a max contract, unless they made a trade. martin, camby, miller, najera, anthony, lenard, boykins, nene, buckner are all signed for multimillion dollars over the next few years. Also LA is a much better place to play than denver. Doesnt mean he wont chose denver if given the chance, because as mentioned, anything can happen in this league. but it definately wouldnt be because of money, location, and talent. Also, on the clippers he would be the unquestioned go to guy. On denver, hed always be fighting with carmelo for that role.

We shouldn't have traded for Baron Davis, but we should trade for Darius Miles?
Absolutely. ONLY if we cant get a superstar. Darius miles doesnt cost near as much as davis. D miles has proven himself as a clipper and a jersey seller, fan favorite, etc. D Miles plays a position that the clippers actually have a need at, d miles is not constantly injured. If you gave me two identical teams, and one had davis and one had miles, id be a fan of the team with miles, who is one of mine, and many others here, favorite players ever. First off because we could watch him game in and game out without worrying if his career will end at any time due to a lingering injury. Second, because hes an exciting player to watch. If baron davis was 100% healthy, would his team be more sucessful than the identical team that miles was on? probably. But being a fan is not always about potential numbers, or always about potential wins..its about being entertained, and sticking with your favorite team/players. Otherwise none of us would be clipper fans. So yes, id want miles over davis. He puts fans in the seats, sells jerseys, and would be an incredible combo with livingston.

Miles thinks he's better than what he is, and hasn't really improved and he's uncoachable, ya let's bring him right in.
Doesnt he average year in and year out 10 points or so? Thats fine with me. I didnt say we need him to be our superstar. I just would like to see him on the team for the energy he can bring off the bench as in the early 90's what he did here, not to mention the clippers are the WORST fast break team statsically in the league, and he would instantly help that. If it would only cost us draft picks and/or someone like wilcox, etc., why not make that trade?
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
17,913 Posts
Free Arsenal said:
I'd rather see Bobby Simmons in a bigger role, with Corey only playing the penetrator. I think Corey Maggete could probably play a lot better if he just completely stopped his outside shots.
Resigning Bobby is fine but the Clippers would still have lots of money to deal with. There are smaller names out there like Radmanovic and J. Johnson.
 

·
Charge!
Joined
·
3,922 Posts
Radman would be a nice addition to the Clippers, wouldn't he? He'd probably like playing in LA, too, hip European that he is. I'd like to keep him in Seattle, but we (the Sonics) are going to have a challenging time keeping all of our free agents - well, the desirable ones, at least.

G-Force
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weasel said:
Resigning Bobby is fine but the Clippers would still have lots of money to deal with. There are smaller names out there like Radmanovic and J. Johnson.

He'd be another good person, the Clippers are in desperate need of 3 point shooters, not superstars..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
Bucks fan here and Ray Allen fan also so this will definitely sound like I'm coming to Allen's defense, but so be it. I don't think he has an ego. I think sometimes he is quoted as saying something and it sounds egotistical when it is printed in black and white. But sometimes it isn't what is said, but how it is said. And who isn't looking for more money? Can't say I blame him. He can't get a max contract without asking for it if it isn't felt in the league he is worth it.
And on Redd, I'm confident Milwaukee will keep him. Is he worth a max deal? Not in my opinion. Will Milwaukee give him a max deal? I think they'll offer him something close but will cave in if he persists on the maximum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,561 Posts
Id still like to see allen in a clips uniform next year. :)

If we are unable to get him or redd this year, anyone know who the 06 Free agents will be?
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top