Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on an article this morning, Danny Ainge is looking for PG help and rebounding help.

Now, I don't think we can convince him to take Damon Stoudamire, but Dale Davis is someone who might interest him.

So how's about this?

Portland trades:
Dale Davis

Portland gets:
Chris Mills
Jumaine Jones

Why for Boston? Rebounding. Toughness. Not too long of a contract, but would help them get into the playoffs this year with Raef out.

Why for Portland? Dale's got another year at $10m left after this one. Chris Mills is an expiring contract. Jumaine Jones has a deal that runs through 2005, but he only makes $3.5 over the two remaining years (combined).

Not a great deal either way, but if Davis is going to cause problems on the bench it might make sense.

Ed O.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Very good trade. :clap:

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>el_Diablo</b>!
wasn't chris mills the guy who blocked the blazer team bus in san francisco last year ?
Yes, but who cares? They can just immediately cut him. He won't play for the Blazers, anyway.

Or, if they really want to exact some revenge for that incident for some reason, they can wait until after the playoff roster deadline before they cut him, so there's no chance that he could be playing in the postseason.

His value to Portland would be in his expiring contract.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Or, if they really want to exact some revenge for that incident for some reason, they can wait until after the playoff roster deadline before they cut him, so there's no chance that he could be playing in the postseason.
Ed = :evil:

How about trading him to Memphis? :D

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

Yes, but who cares? They can just immediately cut him. He won't play for the Blazers, anyway.
I don't, but someone might. but if he is cut immediately this doesn't really matter, as you said.

I would do the trade, just to get rid of davis' contract. but isn't jumaine jones another SF? this trade also leaves the blazer front court a bit thin...

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
I like the idea of getting cap flexibility - it leaves the Blazers room to re-sign Miles (if nothing else) even if they are absolutely committed to making a FA splash in 2005.

However, the trade as you propose it wouldn't work - Boston would have to throw one more player in to make the salaries match.

Also, there's the idea of trading our backup C/PF for yet another SF - as el diablo points out.

If Boston were to make Mark Blount the throw-in, I'd say yes.

Otherwise, I'd be reluctant to thin out the frontcourt that much.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!

However, the trade as you propose it wouldn't work - Boston would have to throw one more player in to make the salaries match.
According to RealGM, it works. Trade ID number 1475114.

According to the HoopsHype salaries, it's $8.1m to $8.96, which also works, I believe.

What's the deal, yo?

:)

Ed O.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
How about trading him to Memphis? :D
seems I am not the only one with a darkside :naughty:

----------------------
Mills $6.6 mil exp
Jones $1.5 mil
= $8.1 mil OUT

Davis = $9 mil

should work just fine

????
Can we get Jiri Welsh instead of Jones? we have enough 3's in Patterson and Miles

or Chris Mihm?

Now work on one with Damon..... and we shed lots this summer...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I like the idea of getting back Chris Mihm instead of Jumain Jones. We're loaded at the 3 right now and I like how Miles is panning out. Mihm could someday develope into a good backup option at the 5.

·
Registered
800 Posts
From a Boston fan: No thanks!

We dont need a player like Davis in return. We need a long term solution! Davis is too old!

And by the way, Welsch and Mihm are untradable! Unless we get a player like Dampier in return!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
With 'Sheed playing solid as our starting 5, I would be open to a DD for Cap space deal.

:uhoh: what would it take to get Marcus Banks ? perhaps a Qyntel Woods for Banks could be done?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
The Celtics are looking for someone a little younger than Dale...

Asked whether he's looking for a veteran, Ainge said, ``I don't want to go get Kevin Willis or Cliff Robinson, but, I mean, I would like to get a player that would be with us for a few years. But if somebody is 30 and healthy, I wouldn't hesitate.''

The point he seems to make is that he wouldn't mind a veteran, but not a guy who is over the hill. DD is what, 35 now (?) and his production has dropped a lot this season. I don't think Boston would want him. :no:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would do this trade in a second, your right its not a blockbuster but it would get rid of DD 's contract sooner and I'm all for that, Dale's definitely not part of our future plans and he probably wouldn't mind a change of scenery

GOOD TRADE!! :yes:

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!
The Celtics are looking for someone a little younger than Dale...
You might be right, although what the Celtics WANT and what they CAN GET might prove to be entirely different animals.

Why would any team trade a younger version of Dale Davis for just an expiring contract? I don't see that happening.

The point he seems to make is that he wouldn't mind a veteran, but not a guy who is over the hill. DD is what, 35 now (?) and his production has dropped a lot this season. I don't think Boston would want him. :no:
Davis will be 35 in late March. Willis is 41, and Robinson is 37 (and a horrible rebounder, to boot).

If Boston wants to make a playoff push this season, this deal would make sense for them. If they don't care, or if they think they can spend the money they would spend on Dale next year in a better way. Or, of course, if they can get more value than Dale Davis, but I don't see that happening.

Ed O.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I like this idea!!! i think it might be good to surround perkins and hunter with someone like dale davis, a good tough rebounder and defender. yes, hes old but he'll be gone in a year plus he is quick solution to our problems while our rookies develop

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
Based on an article this morning, Danny Ainge is looking for PG help and rebounding help.

Now, I don't think we can convince him to take Damon Stoudamire, but Dale Davis is someone who might interest him.

So how's about this?

Portland trades:
Dale Davis

Portland gets:
Chris Mills
Jumaine Jones

Why for Boston? Rebounding. Toughness. Not too long of a contract, but would help them get into the playoffs this year with Raef out.

Why for Portland? Dale's got another year at $10m left after this one. Chris Mills is an expiring contract. Jumaine Jones has a deal that runs through 2005, but he only makes $3.5 over the two remaining years (combined).

Not a great deal either way, but if Davis is going to cause problems on the bench it might make sense.

Ed O.
Why:confused: .....Jones is another Patterson/Miles type palyer and we lose a big man.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Re: IDEA: Dale Davis to Boston

Originally posted by <b>MAS RipCity</b>!

Why:confused: .....Jones is another Patterson/Miles type palyer and we lose a big man.
From my post:

"Dale's got another year at $10m left after this one. Chris Mills is an expiring contract. Jumaine Jones has a deal that runs through 2005, but he only makes $3.5 over the two remaining years (combined)."

Portland saves millions of dollars next year. That money could be used to sign Darius Miles, which isn't a sure thing with Paul Allen's penny-pinching.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts