Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. It's dangerous to approach the sacred calf, but what about this trade idea?

Portland trades:

Zach Randolph
Dale Davis

Portland gets:

Paul Pierce

Why for Boston? They get a young power forward in Zach Randolph and Dale Davis proveds them additional size inside... and a potential bargaining chip. Ricky Davis can be plugged into the starting lineup for Pierce.

Why for Portland? Paul Pierce is still only 26 years old, and he's a star player... on the verge perhaps of being a superstar. He's got no major PR issues (setting aside the grumblings about him with team USA). Zach is a stud, and he's young, but with SAR Portland's got a pretty good 4 now, and getting a player like Pierce would be tough to pass up.

Portland's lineup:

PG: Damon
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Darius Miles
PF: SAR
C: Theo Ratliff

(Pierce is a SF for Boston, but I think he could handle the 2 here... and if not, we could start DA and bring Miles off the bench.)

Another option: put in Damon instead of Dale, but that leaves Portland with 3 totally unproven PGs.

What does everyone think?

Ed O.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I mentioned that this morning after reading Jeff Robertson's column on the trade

Swerv's shooter thread

I would love it... I thought maybe ZR and DA for Pierce.. but had not looked at the numbers yet....

a Damon, Pierce, Miles, SAR and Ratliff lineup sound very appealing to me...

9 days and counting.. tick tick tick.. :wait:

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
As long as Damon is on the team

Its the same old problem. Get rid of Damon, and the team gets a lot better. While Pierce would be nice, he can't play a lick of D either. This team would probably end up being all about offense.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I love it...It would just make us a more balanced team position-wise. Pierce is already at star status and should be at that level for the next four or five years. Although I like Zach, I'm not completely sold on him being a franchise type player, while Pierce is. That would be a nice lineup indeed. With the lineup we now have, we are in desparate need for outside shooting, and Pierce would fit the bill perfectly (assuming Ray Allen weren't available).

·
Registered
780 Posts
I like this idea Ed.

With SAR in the fold, I have no qualms about moving a redundant PF for an exciting guard.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I'd do it in an instant. I'm of the mind that either Zach or Shareef has to go. Bringing in someone of Pierce's caliber makes either of them expendable, and losing one really doesn't hurt the team at all because they're so redundant.

Dan

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
I was under the impression that peirce was concidered a very solid defender.
I don't think a guy who has averaged 1.8 Steals per game for his career should be considered a weak defender.

Pierce is a lot like Bonzi Wells but with far more polished overall skills like shooting.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Excellent idea Ed O. As much as I like Zach, I'd do this one in a heartbeat. I doubt that Boston would do it....however Ainge has done some pretty strange things there.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I used to put Pierce just below Bryant's and McGrady's level of ability and, two seasons ago, I would have definitely done this deal.

But that was when Pierce was good for nearly 45% shooting from the field and excellent three-point shooting. Since then, his three-point shooting has fallen off and thus his overall shooting has fallen way off.

I'm no longer as enamoured of Paul Pierce as I once was. I'd rather campaign Orlando to take Randolph, Davis, Woods, for example, and give us McGrady and Hill. SCBF had a nice trade worked out in that vein.

I might still do the Pierce thing...but I'm not sure it's a good idea anymore. For the Pierce of two seasons ago, I'd have done it without a moment's hesitation.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
funny you bring this up

This morning I emailed Jeff robertson from hoopsworld asking if he feels another deal is the works and if we needed a shooter, heres what he responded.........................read that last line.

(from jeff)I don't think a shooter is necessarily a huge issue. _I expect you will see
Ruben on the market as well as Darius Miles. _I don't think the idea that
Zach could be moved is entirely far fetched.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!
I used to put Pierce just below Bryant's and McGrady's level of ability and, two seasons ago, I would have definitely done this deal.

But that was when Pierce was good for nearly 45% shooting from the field and excellent three-point shooting. Since then, his three-point shooting has fallen off and thus his overall shooting has fallen way off.

I'm no longer as enamoured of Paul Pierce as I once was. I'd rather campaign Orlando to take Randolph, Davis, Woods, for example, and give us McGrady and Hill. SCBF had a nice trade worked out in that vein.

I might still do the Pierce thing...but I'm not sure it's a good idea anymore. For the Pierce of two seasons ago, I'd have done it without a moment's hesitation.
Pierce may not be putting up the same numbers this year as in the past, but that may be a direct result of Walker being traded. They no longer have a second option, which puts more of the stress (and double teams) on Pierce to be the man. He can definitely be the man on most teams, provided there is a viable second or third option to take some of the defensive pressure off of him. If he were here, he would be the number one option, but we would have more weapons to surround him than they do in Boston. I would love to see Pierce here, even if it meant giving up Z-Bo (since SAR would fill his role).

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Danny Ainge was interviewed on TNT last night. He said that his #1 priority in personnel changes was to make the Celtics "more of a running team."

I don't think that this deal fits that criteria. But if he was willing to do it, I can't see any reason why the Blazers shouldn't pull the trigger.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
Danny Ainge was interviewed on TNT last night. He said that his #1 priority in personnel changes was to make the Celtics "more of a running team."

I don't think that this deal fits that criteria. But if he was willing to do it, I can't see any reason why the Blazers shouldn't pull the trigger.
Hmmm, a running team? I dopn't think that Pierce is a running player, but a backcourt of Damon and Ricky Davis would be, add Zach in the mix down low.

Damon and Zach for Pierce? I'd throw in a 1st rnd pick too.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Minstrel, I would say the same about McGrady this year. He's had a lot of abysmal shooting games, and the ones I've seen, his shot selection appears non-existant. It's almost like he knows there's so much pressure on him to carry the load, any remotely open shot is the best he can hope for. Pierce is probably in a similar boat.

Dan

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
OK. It's dangerous to approach the sacred calf, but what about this trade idea?

Portland trades:

Zach Randolph
Dale Davis

Portland gets:

Paul Pierce

Why for Boston? They get a young power forward in Zach Randolph and Dale Davis proveds them additional size inside... and a potential bargaining chip. Ricky Davis can be plugged into the starting lineup for Pierce.

Why for Portland? Paul Pierce is still only 26 years old, and he's a star player... on the verge perhaps of being a superstar. He's got no major PR issues (setting aside the grumblings about him with team USA). Zach is a stud, and he's young, but with SAR Portland's got a pretty good 4 now, and getting a player like Pierce would be tough to pass up.

Portland's lineup:

PG: Damon
SG: Paul Pierce
SF: Darius Miles
PF: SAR
C: Theo Ratliff

(Pierce is a SF for Boston, but I think he could handle the 2 here... and if not, we could start DA and bring Miles off the bench.)

Another option: put in Damon instead of Dale, but that leaves Portland with 3 totally unproven PGs.

What does everyone think?

Ed O.
:no: ,I LOVE getting Pierce. He is one of if not my fv non Blazer, a great shooter, and a great 4th quarter scoring, but I just don't want to trade Zach. Too Young, Too Good.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
DA/WOODS/ZBO for Paul Pierce works at real GM

salarys match.....make the deal NASH!

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
In the words of Jerry Garner from Heavyweights..."Hell NO!"

Q and Zbo leaving....nuh uh..no mas..no..howerever you say no in french insert here.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Can we get one of their young, mediocre point guards in the deal?

I think it's important that we continue to have a ridiculous surplus of one particular type of player.

If we're going to trim down our glut of really good PF's, we better exaggerate our overabundance of marginally capable PG's...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts