Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think is the ideal starting lineup for the Blazers with the new addition of Darius Miles? I personally like:
PG: Derek Anderson
SG: Qyntel Woods
SF: Darius Miles
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Rasheed Walace

I think Damon Stoudamire's role should be reduced to the backup PG due to his lack of getting other players on the team involved. Qyntel doesnt seem suitable to play PG and might fit nicely at SG. Darius is best used at SF as well as Zach at PF. Rasheed may not be the Ideal C, but he seems to be doing a hell of a job down there. Then again I dont watch much Blazers games. What do you think?

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
yeah, I would agree with that. Anderson, Miles, and Woods can all handle the ball. That team would run and would be fun to watch I think.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Why has Q only played 4 minutes tonight? he seems to be in the doghouse again?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
Why has Q only played 4 minutes tonight? he seems to be in the doghouse again?
I think Damons outside shooting had to do more with Woods lack of playing time.

Some teams the team won't be able to afford playing Woods at the point (against fast, defensive, quick handed PGs').

Miles started out good, but it's like he was told "stop playing" when he came back in.

Damon had 10 assists at half. 0 (as of now) since.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BobbyDigital32</b>!
What do you think is the ideal starting lineup for the Blazers with the new addition of Darius Miles? I personally like:

I think Damon Stoudamire's role should be reduced to the backup PG due to his lack of getting other players on the team involved. Qyntel doesnt seem suitable to play PG and might fit nicely at SG. Darius is best used at SF as well as Zach at PF. Rasheed may not be the Ideal C, but he seems to be doing a hell of a job down there. Then again I dont watch much Blazers games. What do you think?
read my mind...great lineup!

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
That WOULD be a nice lineup to see. Between DA and Woods and Miles, we should be able to have someone bring up the ball and set up the offense... bringing in Ruben, Dale and Person as role players off the bench? I like it. Oh, and Damon too, I guess.

Ed O.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I was about to start a thread suggesting this line up when I saw that it was already there. I love it. On offence, the ball would move upcourt quicker and be fed into the post better. There would also be more slashing. The only problem is that although Damon is not a great 3 point shooter, there would be even less of an outside threat. On D, I I think that either woods or miles would take the pg, and the other play sf. I think that miles and Q have showed a better ability then DA at defense against pg type players. However, I think that DA would be better then Damon on D. I think my mom would be better then Damon. The team would run better, there would be more m,ovement. I do not understand why cheeks does not try stuff like this. I mean, I know miles is new, but in general, he just is not very creative.

PS It sure felt good to win a game.:D

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
What ever happened to the ---insert DA phrase here---

"DA has had many opportunities to play PG in his career. He has not proven he can do it, so why now in Portland".... explanation

I am entitled to believe this... DA has not really proven he can play the point. He does handle the ball well, and he is seemingly intelligent with his court sense.

Tonights game was realy weird... Damon had 10 assists at the half, and I think 11 total for the game.

Q was just hammered by the opposing guards pressuring him. And it worked. Even Wheels and Rice knew it was coming, and the scouting reports are out. He can not handle the pressure... at least so far!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
did it really work, though? sure, I was on edge watching Woods bring the ball up, but he only had one turnover and it was a really dumb, non-pressure related one that probably won't happen when he gets used to running the team.

meanwhile, he shot 2-3, scored 4 points, got an assist on a sweet lob and a rebound all in 4 minutes. we also got a few point-blank dunks out of it from passing out of traps.

seemed to me that the Wizards were better off not pressuring him in that short span.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
did it really work, though? sure, I was on edge watching Woods bring the ball up, but he only had one turnover and it was a really dumb, non-pressure related one that probably won't happen when he gets used to running the team.

meanwhile, he shot 2-3, scored 4 points, got an assist on a sweet lob and a rebound all in 4 minutes. we also got a few point-blank dunks out of it from passing out of traps.

seemed to me that the Wizards were better off not pressuring him in that short span.
I wonder if the reason cheeks took woods out was because he seemed to have a little trouble dribbling the ball with pressure (and didn't want him to get even more nervous). And then when he was going to take Damon out, he got hot..and then when he wasn't hot, the team lost it's lead..and thats really not the time to bring into the game a PG who has no experience in clutch situations as the PG.

but screw it. Let's fire Mo Cheeks because he didn't play Woods and Miles enough.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I seem to remember Cheeks talking about a similar thing Hap... he was saying how much confidence is a boost for Q.. they seem to be concerned about it, and the effects of him not succeeding. If he does not do well, they seem to think it would snowball and be detrimental to his development.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BobbyDigital32</b>!

I like that too it would give Q a lot ore playing time and he would develop....... Also Damon, Person, and Patterson would give a awsome spark off the bench.......:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
lack of Damon getting others involved????

He got EVERYONE involved in that hot shooting first quarter in Washington tonight!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I could see it for stretches but, while I'm all kinds of ready for this team to have a new PG, I really still think that Damon is the best option. Maybe they could sign someone to a 10-day contract who'd be an improvement but, looking at this roster, I'm mighty sceptical about anyone else bringing the ball up the court. Woods might yet grow into such a role but DA's been in the league for quite awhile now. If he could be even as much a one/two guard as McInnis (much less Porter, Ainge, etc.) it would've happened by now. DA moves the ball well as a two-guard but I think other points would do to him what they've been doing to Woods.

Maybe I'm wrong. There are a great many voices I respect coming in on the other side of the fence on this one. Still, I've gotta call it like I see it.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
I wonder if the reason cheeks took woods out was because he seemed to have a little trouble dribbling the ball with pressure (and didn't want him to get even more nervous). And then when he was going to take Damon out, he got hot..and then when he wasn't hot, the team lost it's lead..and thats really not the time to bring into the game a PG who has no experience in clutch situations as the PG.

but screw it. Let's fire Mo Cheeks because he didn't play Woods and Miles enough.
one thing I like about Woods is that when the defense tries to pressure him too much, he's quick to pass it to another teammate and not dribble out of it himself. it creates ball movement, and punishes the opposing team for applying full court pressure.

Damon considers it a personal challenge to dribble himself out of every situation, even if it takes 12 seconds off the shot clock.

with Woods, we may have more turnovers and fewer assists attributed to him. but you also get much better ball movement and a guy who can really finish on the break.

with Stoudamire, you get fewer turnovers but you also consistently start your half court offense with much less time on the clock and little passing. there's no stat that tracks how much that hurts a team, but I'd warrant it makes a much bigger impact than a few additional turnover by Woods.

as for Miles, I'm ok with easing him into the lineup. that's not why I want Cheeks gone.

I want Cheeks gone because we are a bad team, and bad teams need to be willing to experiment. bad teams that play Damon Stoudamire 40 mpg don't become good teams.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
found this article today on O-live. thought it was encouraging.

Cheeks said he doesn't plan to make a habit of playing Stoudamire 44 minutes.

What did Stoudamire think of playing 44 minutes?

"That's too much," Stoudamire said. "I'm about a 35- to 38-minute man, to be honest. That's realistic. Some nights you're going to have to play major minutes like that, and tonight that's what it called for."

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!

....I want Cheeks gone because we are a bad team, and bad teams need to be willing to experiment. bad teams that play Damon Stoudamire 40 mpg don't become good teams.
Keep in mind, though, Cheeks won't be gone anytime this season. It will have to wait until the season concludes - at the very earliest.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts