Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do?

The genie says you can give up Eddy Curry for Shaquille Oneal. The genie then says if you take Shaquille O'neal you will win the championship this year but will not be in the finals for 10 years and no garauntees after that about making it to the finals. Then he says if you take Eddy Curry you will be in the championship 5 times within the next 10 years but you are not garaunteed to win one. What would you take the garaunteed championship or the garaunteed finals appearances with a shot at more titles but no garauntees?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Ask wheres my three wishes?

I would take Curry, with 5 times out of 10 your bound to win one.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
thats an easy bet.go with curry...as long as there is a 50% probability each time you compete in the championship,it is almost a ccertain outcome that you will win at least one..

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
in fact,you could tell me there is only a 20% probability for each series and you still would be slightly better off going with Curry..as long as each series is an even money bet,the bulls should take 2 titles

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>truth</b>!
in fact,you could tell me there is only a 20% probability for each series and you still would be slightly better off going with Curry..as long as each series is an even money bet,the bulls should take 2 titles
They would take 1 title on average with the probability of 20% of them winning it all.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
with a 20% chance of winning the championship every year,they have a 67% chance of winning one,if my memory serves me correctly...Its not .2x5 if that is what you are thinking..

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
it depends upon what chance you give them of winning each one on average..A 20% probabability is an even money bet on them winning 1 out of 3

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
thats what we just figured out..if they are an underdog in each series ,lets say you give them a 20 % chance of winning each series,they odds are in their favor they will win 1 out of 5..not by much though

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Let's say... you have a choice between losing your arms and legs in the most painful experience of your life, or having your own personal master chef for a year for free... which do you choose?

Sorry BBS, I just always find these hypothetical things hilarious :)

(Anyone who answers that they'd rather have the chef is probably insane.)

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by <b>airety</b>!
Let's say... you have a choice between losing your arms and legs in the most painful experience of your life, or having your own personal master chef for a year for free... which do you choose?

Sorry BBS, I just always find these hypothetical things hilarious :)

(Anyone who answers that they'd rather have the chef is probably insane.)
No there is a point behind this. People are mad about trading Elton Brand, a good star, for Tyson Chandler in order to get two highschoolers so they could have something special in the future. People are opposite on this one though because people would rather take the risk then the sure thing (shaq and the ring)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I'd still take the 3 years. Unless you tell me we're guaranteed to lose every year for 10 years with Eddy, they'll be no fun in watching the Bulls for the next 11 years with Shaq (and post Shaq) knowing what the outcome will be, especially those last 10. ;)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
PERSONALLY, i would use that wish to ask for 5 more wishes. I would one to turn Hinrich into KIDD, one to turn Gordon into BRYANT, Deng into KG, Chander into DUNCAN, and Curry into YAO.

My team would then be:

Kidd
Bryant
KG
Duncan
Yao

I would win championships for the next 10+ years. CAN YOU SEE WHAT 1 WISH CAN DO NOW?

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!
PERSONALLY, i would use that wish to ask for 5 more wishes. I would one to turn Hinrich into KIDD, one to turn Gordon into BRYANT, Deng into KG, Chander into DUNCAN, and Curry into YAO.

My team would then be:

Kidd
Bryant
KG
Duncan
Yao

I would win championships for the next 10+ years. CAN YOU SEE WHAT 1 WISH CAN DO NOW?
The genie never said he was giving a wish. He just said the franchise could have Shaquille Oneal and a ring followed by losing years or he could keep Eddy Curry and be in the championship 3 times with no garauntees of winning anythign.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BabyBlueSlugga7</b>!

The genie never said he was giving a wish. He just said the franchise could have Shaquille Oneal and a ring followed by losing years or he could keep Eddy Curry and be in the championship 3 times with no garauntees of winning anythign.
Ohh I am sorry. Can i trade Choices for wishes instead? :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts